Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Weather (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41104)

Cole_Robbie April 6, 2017 01:06 PM

I'm going to use the heater to heat the greenhouse, to keep my young container plants warm....But I keep thinking bout rigging it up to low tunnels to heat them at night....wouldn't THAT be an innovation?

slugworth April 6, 2017 01:30 PM

I have one of those cables people normally use here in the rain gutters to keep them from freezing. 300w
My only concern is the package says not to be used if the outside temp is over 50 F
I was going to lay it out later this month and plant on top of it in cement blocks.

Jimbotomateo April 6, 2017 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;630005]Here's a pic. I'm going to get one off the shelf this afternoon, no time to wait for shipping. The farm store has a 15% rebate on everything right now.
[IMG]http://www.mrheater.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/2/f270255.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Sweet, yeah sounds like you need sooner! Man, five or ten degrees even would be a lifesaver! :yes::)

AlittleSalt April 10, 2017 09:38 PM

A strange weather occurrence happed today a 7:50PM. It has been stormy this evening. This is April the 10th, and by 8:30 it's completely dark in the Central Daylight Savings Time Zone. So you can say it was sundown at 7:50.

It was raining, and then suddenly it got real bright out - the sky was a yellowish orange color. It was way too bright for the time of day here. As the sun was setting, the sunrays hit the tall white thunderstorm clouds just right to make it so bright. It doesn't happen very often here, and was cool to see.

Otherwise, we didn't get the golf ball sized hail and high winds that a lot of the surrounding area got. I'm guessing we got somewhere around an inch of rain. There's still lightning nearby, so I'll wait to go out and check the rain gauge.

Gardeneer April 10, 2017 09:49 PM

Today, April 10th was our average LFD. It was breezy and warm hitting 80F.
Tonight's low forecast is 51F. AND there is no low under 50F as far as the extended forecast goes.
So I planted out my okra sprouts today plus more cukes and melons.
What a relief ! I am almost done with panting. Time to relax a bit.
:cute:
OH, no! I have to work on supporting my tomatoes.
COWBOY'S WORK IS NEVER DONE !:lol:

AlittleSalt April 10, 2017 10:03 PM

Gardeneer, your work is just beginning :lol::yes:

Rockporter April 10, 2017 10:21 PM

The rain promised hasn't hit us yet.

AlittleSalt April 10, 2017 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=Rockporter;631120]The rain promised hasn't hit us yet.[/QUOTE]

The radar is showing rain about 75-100 miles west of Worth. it might be a while before you see any.

Worth1 April 11, 2017 05:58 AM

I expected a storm last night.
Nothing.

Worth

AlittleSalt April 11, 2017 09:44 AM

There was hail nearby this morning. The local FOX morning news was saying there was baseball sized hail in/around Cleburne, Texas which is 10 miles to our north. There wasn't any video or pictures, so ??? What they did show was a lot of dime to golf ball sized hail here locally.

Rockporter April 11, 2017 10:32 AM

I've been expecting storms since Sunday night, I have had nothing. It keeps changing here.

Rockporter April 11, 2017 12:22 PM

Finally, the rain is coming down and it's coming down hard. Hope my seedlings manage, but sure hope to get enough to rain to soften the ground to dig those weeds out of my compost. :x

Gardeneer April 14, 2017 05:06 AM

down here (Southeast NC) , the weather is near perfect for this time of the season :
Nice sunny , mostly in 50 to 80F range. We get some scattered showers now and then.

MrBig46 April 14, 2017 07:36 AM

Winter returns to us. Next week daytime temperature should be about 5 ° C, and the night from zero to minus two ° C. Above 500 m asl a snow fall. I hope will not snow or hail on my garden. It would be bad for apricots and peaches. Tomatoes in the hotbeds would had survive without problems. : D
Vladimír

Cole_Robbie April 14, 2017 11:03 AM

It's warm here, 82 today. Next week looks warm and wet, more like May weather than April.

Jimbotomateo April 14, 2017 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;631824]It's warm here, 82 today. Next week looks warm and wet, more like May weather than April.[/QUOTE]

Can you plant out now Cole? Sounds like beautiful weather. 82 is perfect! :) . Jimbo

Cole_Robbie April 14, 2017 11:38 AM

I put about a dozen dwarfs in the ground yesterday, my first outdoor plants of the year.

Jimbotomateo April 14, 2017 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;631831]I put about a dozen dwarfs in the ground yesterday, my first outdoor plants of the year.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, spring has sprung! :yes:. Now everyone can be happy :lol:. One would think your area would be as good as anywhere to grow maters and other crops. :yes:. Since you've traveled around and then settled where you are says a lot ! Are you planting those sunflower plants for sale this year?. I think that's what you had that sold like hotcakes last year. :yes::):). Jimbo

bower April 14, 2017 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;631796]Winter returns to us. Next week daytime temperature should be about 5 ° C, and the night from zero to minus two ° C. Above 500 m asl a snow fall. I hope will not snow or hail on my garden. It would be bad for apricots and peaches. Tomatoes in the hotbeds would had survive without problems. : D
Vladimír[/QUOTE]

This is what we've been having for the last week - our normal temperatures for this time of year average max 6C and min minus1. For us this year it's a great relief because winter didn't stop in March or early April, I mean below zero highs and massive snowfalls. Still a lot of snow on the ground, and I doubt it will go very soon. We have three days in the forecast next week, highs of minus 1 C. Then we go back above zero days, some rain, and hopefully melt what is left on the ground.

The young raven couple that I made friends with this winter are nesting close by, they're making those beautiful happy songs. :D
A few woodpeckers (flickers) have passed through as well - in spring they like to drum on the metal cap over my chimney. It makes an unearthly racket inside the house. :twisted: Early morning, usually. I guess the other birds can also hear it quite far away.

The first of my tomato seedlings are just ready to pot up, so it's time to get the greenhouse ready and start monitoring temperatures out there.

Cole_Robbie April 14, 2017 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Jimbotomateo;631840]Awesome, spring has sprung! :yes:. Now everyone can be happy :lol:. One would think your area would be as good as anywhere to grow maters and other crops. :yes:. Since you've traveled around and then settled where you are says a lot ! Are you planting those sunflower plants for sale this year?. I think that's what you had that sold like hotcakes last year. :yes::):). Jimbo[/QUOTE]

Yes, here are couple flats of them. I just took this pic today:

Father'sDaughter April 15, 2017 12:21 PM

We're still yo-yo-ing up here in the Northeast.

We got down to 32f again early this morning. Tomorrow it'll be in the 80s, then the next wave of cold air hits again Mon/Tue with overnight lows in the mid-30s.

Garlic and shallots are all up. Kale and lettuce have been outside for over a week and are going in the ground today. Everything else will be tucked in under lights for at least another month.

Ricky Shaw April 16, 2017 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My friend Ben texted me this morning, 70F and sunny, Lake Catoma, Alabama. Says they had 5 over 5lb by 8am. Thought I'd share for those who enjoy Springtime bass fishing.

Ricky Shaw April 22, 2017 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dismal gray, cold and damp. And there's no good cartoons on Saturday anymore.

Worth1 April 22, 2017 09:50 AM

Wind out of the north overcast and 63.
Doesn't bother me a bit after yesterdays hot weather.
Opened up all of the windows and doors to cool the house off.
Smokey is running road races in the yard.:lol:
Worth

wildcat62 April 22, 2017 09:56 AM

Cooler & damp this morning. Rain is on the way. As long as it's not a gully washer it will be good for the garden. Tomatoes & peppers were planted this week.

SteveP April 22, 2017 10:22 AM

We have had 2 days of needed rain giving us about 4". Today's high is 50f with lows in the morning at 38f. When the garden dries out a little it will be time to plant the rest of my maters. I planted 4 Early Girls about 2 weeks ago for an early harvest instead of the usual early July.

Gardeneer April 22, 2017 11:26 AM

We are having real nice tomato , okra and pepper weather, with highs in high 80s and lows in low 60s. can't beat that.
Tomatoes that have fruits already:
SILVERY FIR TREE, SUNGOLD, STUPICE, BLACK CHERRY.
The rest have been growing n flowering like crazy.
This is the weather wonder .

WISHING YOU ALL A CLEMENT WEATHER !

AlittleSalt April 22, 2017 11:38 AM

What a difference - It was 80 degrees last night at 8pm, and this morning at 8am it was 51 degrees. Here it is near 11am and it has warmed up to 55 degrees with a strong north wind. The forecast is saying it'll be near 90 in a few days.

GrowingCoastal April 22, 2017 11:38 AM

Gosh, we had a beauty of a day, yesterday. Had a nice one last month too. :lol:Both in the 16C range. Trees are blossoming and tulips flowering despite the ongoing showery rainy days.

dmforcier April 22, 2017 11:47 AM

Yes, definite chill last night. The cat moved onto the bed to get some extra heat (from me) and I had to reach for a blanket. (It's a small cat; one large cat will often do the trick if properly arrayed.)

On the plus side, the heat and A/C have been off for months. This is the best time of year in Texas.