Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The KARMA Project (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38529)

shule1 September 27, 2019 10:41 PM

I'm pretty late here on this thread. I was wondering, could someone please sum up the current status of the Karma tomatoes for me, so I don't have to read the whole thread (all 107 pages)? How many are kinds of Karma tomatoes are there, too?

imp September 28, 2019 03:21 AM

Ah, no, Karen, it is the apricot, but the peach one sounds good too.

oakley September 28, 2019 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=shule1;746882]I'm pretty late here on this thread. I was wondering, could someone please sum up the current status of the Karma tomatoes for me, so I don't have to read the whole thread (all 107 pages)? How many are kinds of Karma tomatoes are there, too?[/QUOTE]

I would just go back 5-6 pages and get recent reports and those growing have
responded with their successes. Idaho. Short growing season so they might suit
your season. I've only grown KARMAPink. It outperformed many others without
any special care other than irrigation and feedings.
My deck grown KP in a 5 gallon fabric pot. It was an extra plant I just let grow up
and into my meyer lemon tree for support...

KarenO September 28, 2019 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=shule1;746882]I'm pretty late here on this thread. I was wondering, could someone please sum up the current status of the Karma tomatoes for me, so I don't have to read the whole thread (all 107 pages)? How many are kinds of Karma tomatoes are there, too?[/QUOTE]

The cross, done by me Karen Olivier between ambrosia gold x captain lucky.
There are 6 siblings stabilized from the cross.
1. KARMA pink large cocktail cherry solid dark pink
2. KARMA purple. Large purple cocktail cherry
3. KARMA purple Multiflora. Green shoulder large Purple cocktail size on branching trusses up to about 30 fruit.
3. KARMA peach bicolour yellow and pink saladette
5. KARMA apricot bicolour yellow and pink large oval cherry ( not released)
6. KARMA miracle bicolour Green and pink cocktail cherry ( not released)

All are on indeterminate potato leaf plants. All quite Early approx 60-65 days. Delicious complex flavours, each different, all very good in my opinion. Thin skin.
The project was undertaken as a partnership by myself and Marsha Eisenberg in Florida with seed passed back and forth her growing in winter and I growing in summer to advance them twice as fast.
KAR = Karen Olivier
MA = Marsha Eisenberg
Hence the KARMA project.

Hope that helps.
KarenO

imp September 29, 2019 11:31 AM

Looking forward to when you release the Karma Apricot cherry. Good work you two and good going!

shule1 October 8, 2019 02:32 AM

Yes, that helps a lot! Thanks! They sound really good. That's awesome that they're early and potato leaf, even. Early bicolors are hard to find, too. :)

[QUOTE=KarenO;746921]The cross, done by me Karen Olivier between ambrosia gold x captain lucky.
There are 6 siblings stabilized from the cross.
1. KARMA pink large cocktail cherry solid dark pink
2. KARMA purple. Large purple cocktail cherry
3. KARMA purple Multiflora. Green shoulder large Purple cocktail size on branching trusses up to about 30 fruit.
3. KARMA peach bicolour yellow and pink saladette
5. KARMA apricot bicolour yellow and pink large oval cherry ( not released)
6. KARMA miracle bicolour Green and pink cocktail cherry ( not released)

All are on indeterminate potato leaf plants. All quite Early approx 60-65 days. Delicious complex flavours, each different, all very good in my opinion. Thin skin.
The project was undertaken as a partnership by myself and Marsha Eisenberg in Florida with seed passed back and forth her growing in winter and I growing in summer to advance them twice as fast.
KAR = Karen Olivier
MA = Marsha Eisenberg
Hence the KARMA project.

Hope that helps.
KarenO[/QUOTE]

KarenO October 8, 2019 11:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
These are the 4 released ones.
All indeterminate, All potato leaf.
Miracle and apricot are being grown this winter again. Depending on the results in Marsha’s garden we will decide if they are stable for release or need more time.
It’s been a fun year watching them grown out in many different climates and conditions this first season of their release.
:)
Karen

geoffrey44 November 19, 2019 08:29 PM

Karma Purple MF

2 Attachment(s)
Growing Karma Purple MF this season.
I had a few issues wit
h Karma Pink last season and I wasnt too certain how this one would go but so far it is looking really strong and healthy.
Flower spikes are strong and well populated with fruit in abundance already forming.
We have hot weather on the way so that might well test it a bit ..but we shall see !!

KarenO November 19, 2019 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=geoffrey44;749951]Growing Karma Purple MF this season.
I had a few issues wit
h Karma Pink last season and I wasnt too certain how this one would go but so far it is looking really strong and healthy.
Flower spikes are strong and well populated with fruit in abundance already forming.
We have hot weather on the way so that might well test it a bit ..but we shall see !![/QUOTE]

Looks terrific so far!
Karen

geoffrey44 December 7, 2019 01:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is an update to my earlier post re Karma Purple mf.
The bush is showing great strength and health despite what is proving to be a challenging season.
The flower spikes are so prolific and the fruit set is just wonderful to see.
I had issues with Karma Pink last season but Purple MF is ( in my garden ) an absolute winner

KarenO December 7, 2019 02:45 AM

Wonderful! Can’t wait for you to taste them, your plant looks great !
Thank you for posting about it :)
KarenO

Whwoz December 28, 2019 02:01 AM

KARMA Purple has won the KARMA first to fruit race here, noticed a pea sized fruit on it today and checked the others but could not see any fruit on them

KarenO December 28, 2019 02:28 AM

[QUOTE=Whwoz;751871]KARMA Purple has won the KARMA first to fruit race here, noticed a pea sized fruit on it today and checked the others but could not see any fruit on them[/QUOTE]

And the race is on :)
Always fun to hear about your gardens during winter here, looking forward to pics and hearing your thoughts on them!
Happy holidays :)
KarenO

Barb_FL December 28, 2019 06:53 AM

I'm growing Karma Pink again this year. I am having a lot less splitting on the tomatoes compared to the other times I grew it. I haven't pruned or removed any of the leaf branches. Also the plant doesn't get nearly the same morning sun as previous attempts.

[B]Geoffrey [/B] - what were your issues with KP last season?

Whwoz January 31, 2020 05:25 AM

Picked two KARMA Purple multiflora tomatoes this afternoon. Both were blushing, one a day or two more advanced than the other