Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2015 Garden Journal (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34745)

efisakov February 9, 2017 12:00 PM

How is your little beauty doing? You have not posted her picture for a while.

BigVanVader February 9, 2017 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
She is doing great. Walking and talking, just a few words and lots of gibber jabber. Still happy and sweet so far :love: here is a pic of my sugar booger.

heirloomtomaguy February 9, 2017 12:17 PM

Dude she is awesome. You are certainly Blessed! Anymore kids in the future?

BigVanVader February 9, 2017 12:23 PM

Thanks HTG! Yeah, gardening is going to be fun this year for sure. Im hoping to get the back fenced in asap so I can just let her run around in the garden without much worry. My wife is demanding a rabbit hutch and rabbits by Easter so she can take pics :lol: And not planning on anymore. We have 2 hounds so basically 4 kids.

efisakov February 9, 2017 12:25 PM

She is so cute!

MissS February 9, 2017 02:23 PM

If you just can not get the fence in for the little one in time, put some bells on her shoe laces so that you can find her.
My daughter brought home an "Easter Bunny" two years ago. He has made a great pet for her and even uses a cardboard litter box. I love this, as I can just pick it up and add it to the gardens.

BigVanVader February 9, 2017 02:41 PM

Great idea! I'm going to get that dam fence up though. I have been wanting rabbits for awhile. My mom had several for years and I would collect the poop for the garden, but since they died I have missed my free fertilizer. I mentioned it to my wife and she immediately thought about bunny pics with Cora. So it's a win-win.

AKmark February 11, 2017 02:50 AM

Looks like your on your way. How many plants are you growing this year? Nice pics of your market table too, it seems like your having fun, and that sure makes it all worth it.

BigVanVader February 11, 2017 07:22 AM

1200 plants is the goal, so double what we sold last year. Oh sorry answered before coffee, I'm growing around 2k plants but that includes everything like flowers and other veggi starts.

Ricky Shaw February 11, 2017 08:57 AM

That Carhartt gear runs big on me too, the large fits like other brands X-Large. I can remember the thread where you announced your daughter's arrival, I dubbed her 'Mini-Van'. Time flies in Tomatoville too.

BigVanVader February 11, 2017 09:58 AM

Lol yeah, my son is LittleVanVader so Mini-Van is hilarious :lol: Seems like time gets faster the longer your alive. The past few years i have felt this sense of a "quickening" like a voice in my head saying "get it done time is short" I will be 40 this year so I guess I'm just having a mid-life crisis :twisted:

jpop February 11, 2017 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;617938]Lol yeah, my son is LittleVanVader so Mini-Van is hilarious :lol: Seems like time gets faster the longer your alive. The past few years i have felt this sense of a "quickening" like a voice in my head saying "get it done time is short" I will be 40 this year so I guess I'm just having a mid-life crisis :twisted:[/QUOTE]

Could not agree more, just turned 42 this January w/ 3 young kids and the past 7 years have been a blur.

BigVanVader February 22, 2017 01:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I had mentioned my carrot bed experiment in a different thread. I started on it this past weekend. It is 3.3 ft wide and 4.3 feet long and 20 inches deep. Going to put hardware cloth in the bottom, then weed fabric, then some large stones, then more cloth, then sand/peat/potting soil mix. The goal is to grow perfect beautiful carrots.

bower February 22, 2017 07:46 PM

I'm thinkin you will grow perfect, beautiful carrots! :yes::lol:

BTW congratulations on the LittleVanVader !! I have two coming this year in my extended friend- family, little boy born 13 days ago and a girl expected in July. I feel rich!! :D

ibraash February 23, 2017 09:51 PM

Dear BigVanVader,

I spent about 2 hours yesterday, looking at your great progress and pictures. Well done, dear friend.

I have a question about your greenhouse veggies in June if you do not mind. . What did you do regarding the excessive heat? Was it very hot? My greenhouse now is unheated and the temps are about 110 during day hours. Did you have to cool it down?

Please advise.

Best,

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;565715]Well fingers crossed so far all is going well. I feel like I need to accomplish more but I don't want to be to overwhelmed. The weather here is now settled into the typical hot/humid/evening thunderstorms which is when things get a lot tougher. I have a few minor disease issues and found a few caterpillars eating my bell peppers so the spraying regiment has started and has been exhausting. Can't keep Surround WP on the plants and gave up till the forecast changes. Cukes are doing great in the GH and I think it's something I will continue in the future.

My project last weekend was a new trellis for my tomatoes. I based it off Bill's (B54Red) design and conversation with him. I plan to add more bracing later but for now it works and I think I may even have room to plant some basil and more tomatoes between the existing tomatoes. Here are some pics.[/QUOTE]