Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Your Favorite Pink Tomato? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43490)

ginger2778 August 31, 2017 03:56 AM

[QUOTE=retiree;662560]Marsha

I should have some Barlow Jap seeds. They did great here. Just don't expect them in a great hurry.
If you're interested PM me. You've helped me out many times.
Neil G.[/QUOTE]

That is so nice of you. Miss S already kindly offered, and I accepted, but thank you.:)

Gardenboy August 31, 2017 05:50 AM

Best pink for my FL garden is #1 - German Johnson ( potato leaf) #2 - Earl's Faux:)#3 - Stump of the World. ALL great taste and productivity!

PaulF August 31, 2017 09:48 AM

Another to add from this year's harvest: Heatherington Pink.

b54red August 31, 2017 10:25 AM

I am amazed at the different experiences people have with the same varieties in different locals. I find that most years Giant Belgium is not very sweet but is very balanced with a nice bite of course some years it isn't. Barlow Jap was my number one tomato for taste and production one year and since then has been more bland and usually a poor producer. I found the same thing with Terhune which was a favorite and in my top ten for three years then for some reason it became more and more bland as some other varieties which had been more bland got richer and more balanced. I grew Terhune again this year and it was better so I will probably grow it again next year. Giant Belgium has been my best tasting tomato one year and in my top five for four years in a row so it is an always plant. I am sure I will try Barlow Jap again like I do with most of the ones that fall off my plant list due to mild flavor or consistently poor production. Dester has been one of the most consistently Early Blight prone tomatoes that I have ever grown but despite that tendency it is usually a producer of top quality amazingly tasty large tomatoes. I have tried lots of fungicides and planting spots with Dester but it always gets sick and stays that way but will hang on for a long time and keep on producing despite looking terrible.

After 40 plus years of growing tomatoes I have learned one thing for sure and that is you can not count on a variety tasting or producing the same from one year to the next. There are some varieties that are far more consistent in both taste quality and production but it can take a long time to figure out which ones they are in a specific growing location.

Bill

PaulF August 31, 2017 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=b54red;662928]

After 40 plus years of growing tomatoes I have learned one thing for sure and that is you can not count on a variety tasting or producing the same from one year to the next. There are some varieties that are far more consistent in both taste quality and production but it can take a long time to figure out which ones they are in a specific growing location.

Bill[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement 100%. The year, the weather (including temperature, rainfall, number of cloudy days, or the way the wind blows even) or maybe the part of the garden where certain plants are located helps decide which flavor is expressed in a certain variety. Some varieties do seem to be fairly consistent, year to year. Some change every year. Who knows, maybe I make them change by the way they get treated.

Rather than worry about which flavor shows up this year, I should rate tomatoes like some rate wine...by vintage, or should it be called solanage? Ahhh, my Terhune 2017 is much like Terhune 2004, but not nearly so nice as 2013. If only my mind could remember which year was better or worse, so I just say this year's tomato rates an eight on the ten scale. We've been growing tomatoes for forty years but only since 1999 has it been an heirloom/OP obsession.

So, when questions arise as to favorites and the ones with the best taste, I will mention only this year's solanage and the unmentioned line, 'This year in my garden, in my opinion.'

Nan_PA_6b September 1, 2017 07:25 PM

I haven't grown a lot of tomatoes, but I just tasted Big Brandy F1. Lots of flavor, sweet & tart & tomatoey. Even my mom, a dyed-in-the-wool Big Beef lover, says this one is a keeper.
Nan

Fred Hempel September 2, 2017 12:06 AM

Momotaro

AlittleSalt September 2, 2017 12:50 AM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;663155]Momotaro[/QUOTE]

+1

A Momotaro crossed with Striped Roman might be interesting. I have other ideas and seeds.

For those that don't know, Momotaro has been the #1 tomato in Japan for a while now. Years.

charley September 7, 2017 08:49 AM

I agree with b 54 red start early around mid-January with your seeds and it's hard to be pruden's purple for production and it's got good flavor but my favorite is cowlicks brandywine then earls faux Caspian pink is real delicious but not very productive brimmer Limbaugh's Legacy purple dog Creek Goose Creek is another good one but there a little smaller. I've tried several different types of Brandywine and I didn't think that any of them would grow in Texas until I tried cowlicks Brandywine you have to try it there's no better tasting tomato

montanamato September 10, 2017 12:18 PM

County Agent especially if you have a short season. Sand Hill carries it.

AlittleSalt April 27, 2018 01:32 AM

I thought about which thread to bring back to write about our first tomatoes of the year. This thread needs to be revived. I will always think PWR are the best tasting. Our first to fruit this year is Japanese Pink Cherry. My wife saw them first, and she was happy.

NarnianGarden April 27, 2018 07:13 AM

That's cool. They were quite tasty here last year (many thanks for your generosity), although the season was so cold and rainy...
Although I like pink cherries, I love larger fruited varieties even better. Several pinks this year - some cherry, some saladette, some beefsteaks. I am sure they all will taste glorious!

ddsack April 27, 2018 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=montanamato;664202]County Agent especially if you have a short season. Sand Hill carries it.[/QUOTE]

How have I missed this good one? Putting it on my list for next year!

[URL]http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/County_Agent[/URL]

bigpinks April 27, 2018 03:36 PM

Fav Pink

I have 18 under lights in the basement as we type from saved seed from a 42 oz specimen from 2016. Estlers Mortgage Lifter along with 54 others. I sucker to 2-3 stems and get 4 or 5 from 12 -42 oz per plant. Early blight is rampant every yr or I would prob get almost twice that many. Like the taste and ease of growing/seed saving/germination. I give most of these to friends and maybe 20% for family. I have grown Pink Girl, Stump and German Johnson. All good but not like these I have now.

simmran1 April 27, 2018 09:45 PM

dd I am the Randy Simmons and I still grow County Agent every year. Amazing yield potential, but then Rebel Yell has been mentioned, and I would give Rebel Yell a Big Billy Idol thumbs up!