Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Just showing off. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18309)

Salsacharley October 21, 2013 10:14 AM

Hi Carolyn,

This kind of visual evidence confounds me about how much room a plant needs to grow. I am baffled at how you can grow 2 -3 beautiful plants in a 4 gal container (granted they are pruned, and extremely well!) when the "classic standard" calls for much, much more space between plants.

You have a splendid set up!

Charley

NarnianGarden October 21, 2013 02:12 PM

[QUOTE=CarolynPhillips;379290]
Wish I could find an heirloom cherry that produced and tasted like that hybrid Sweet Million. I have tried several and non compare.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pictures and Sweet Million recommendation. I have some Sweet 1000 000 seeds, and plan to grow that variety next year, Lord willing.

Did you ever try Ildi? It's supposedly delicious and very prolific.

efisakov October 21, 2013 02:45 PM

Blondkopfchen has similar to Sweet Million bloom. It is yellow grape form small tomato, pretty sweet.

CarolynPhillips October 21, 2013 08:03 PM

thank you salsacharley

Narnian, I will check out the info on the Ildi. never tried it.

and the blondkopfchen.

tlintx October 21, 2013 09:53 PM

Ooh, if you're interested in the multiflora, I liked Reisentraube, but it got BIG. I'm trying Centiflor, Fireworks, and Geranium Kiss (dwarf?) this spring. Ildi and Rose Quartz Multiflora are also on my list.

AKmark October 22, 2013 12:32 AM

Illdi

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a truss full of goodies

newatthiskat October 22, 2013 08:14 AM

Very impressive! I think I am going to shake things up next year!

greyghost October 23, 2013 09:19 AM

I enjoy looking at your photos and reading your posts so much; thanks for
taking the time to post. Everything looks amazing! Darlene

CarolynPhillips October 23, 2013 02:59 PM

That Illdi cluster looks awesome. :)

thanks

CarolynPhillips October 23, 2013 03:06 PM

What about Rose Quartz Multiflora? Anyone tried it?

Heritage October 24, 2013 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=CarolynPhillips;379516]What about Rose Quartz Multiflora? Anyone tried it?[/QUOTE]

Carolyn, sorry, I missed seeing this before you ordered. I think Rose Quart Multiflora will be perfect for you - it has a very nice flavor and doesn't split. Hangs well on the plant, so gives you some picking leeway. Here is a photo of a typical truss from a field-grown plant. I think if you vibrated the trusses regularly you could get a larger percent of fruit set than what I show here. It is my favorite multiflora.:)

Steve

CarolynPhillips October 25, 2013 08:58 AM

My yahoo mail was almost infected by a virus and is currently locked and yahoo is working on it. I wasn't getting any emails which was abnormal and called yahoo.
I have another email. [EMAIL="carolynjuanitaphillips@yahoo.com"]carolynjuanitaphillips@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]
I haven't change it on all my internet accounts yet. Sorry.

Thank you Steve. I look forward to growing them. It has been hard to find an open pollinated/heirloom variety as close to Sweet Million as possible. I have been growing Sweet Million for 15 years and it's hard to let go.
I shake all the vines daily....sometimes every other day. They should do great. Now all I have to do is decide How I want to grow it . too many options.
but always with TLC

CarolynPhillips October 25, 2013 01:24 PM

I was searching for more pictures and info about the Rose Quartz and came across this youtube.
I posted in General too
Refractometer to measure sugar in fruit.
I feel like I came across a nifty tomato toy. I might be later than others on finding this out. I really want one.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJZ9BJFc04[/url]

CarolynPhillips October 25, 2013 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=AKmark;379381]Here is a truss full of goodies[/QUOTE]
That is so pretty

CarolynPhillips October 26, 2013 11:12 AM

Even though the mittleider mixture made the plants grow like crazy, I think it causes my plants to have more fungus and disease issues. (chemicals/Nitrogen) Weak immune system against the uglies.
Just saying I want to switch to an organic method and I haven't completely decided what that will be but I love my rabbit manure and I love worm castings(natural micro-nutrients) . I will be working with that to figure out a balance.
And composting chicken manure using worms.