Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The KARMA Project (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38529)

KarenO August 27, 2016 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
interior:

ginger2778 August 28, 2016 12:35 AM

That purple cherry is beautiful and adorable. I don't know Karen, the idea of a PL bicolor or even a pink cherry sounds great. I would love to work on the bicolor, after all, CL is a tri color, so I think we have a fighting chance.

KarenO August 28, 2016 12:58 AM

okey doke, seeds are drying Marsha, should have them in the mail by the end of the week :)
KO

ginger2778 August 28, 2016 01:00 AM

[QUOTE=KarenO;589381]okey doke, seeds are drying Marsha, should have them in the mail by the end of the week :)
KO[/QUOTE]

Awesomeness!

salix August 28, 2016 05:02 AM

Beautiful fruits, Karen, good work. Just a heads up - Canada Post I think has served 72 hour strike notice. Don't want to have those precious seeds tied up somewhere in a gigantic pile of unmoving mail.

KarenO August 28, 2016 11:46 AM

Son of a gun thanks Willa.. No worries, I'll courier them. Have to make sure they are fully dry so they don't mold
Karen

KarenO September 1, 2016 01:49 PM

OK, good news all around: Canada post has reached a tentative agreement and so there is no strike which means the F3 seeds are on the way in the mail as of today Marsha. A black, a pink and a bicolour. All potato leaf, all clear epidermis and all from big vigorous plants that did well in less than ideal conditions with no disease. All are still growing and blooming crowded in large pots here.

So looking forward to seeing how they do and what you think of them as they grow in your Florida garden over winter! I do believe the taste is there too. That black especially, wowza in the F2 -tangy sweet and really delicious.
KO

KarenO September 2, 2016 02:11 AM

Watching the news tonight and worried about my Florida friend. I hope you and yours are safe in this bad storm !!
Karen

Scooty September 2, 2016 02:42 AM

Hope the Marsha and the mail are both safe.

Just curious Karen, how sweet did this cross get? Say compared to sungold as a reference point?

KarenO September 2, 2016 03:02 AM

Not super sweet. I am not a fan of candy sweet tomatoes. Think sweet-tangy like a really good big tomato. They taste like tomatoes. :)
Really hoping the taste they have now continues in the next gen.
K

Scooty September 2, 2016 03:11 AM

Do you find sungold candy sweet? One person's sweet and tangy is another person's candy sweet, so I thought sungold was a good reference point, because nearly everyone's tried sungold at one point or another. :)

How would you compare the cross to say.... black cherry? more tart? more sweet?

"sweet-tangy" like which really good big tomato? :)

KarenO September 2, 2016 03:23 AM

The cross was between two tomatoes I really like. Captain lucky and ambrosia gold. They taste like them. Balanced. Both sweet and tangy at the same time. I personally find sun gold doesn't really taste "tomatoey"
These taste like a big tomato to me. Especially the black. Like Cherokee purple-sweet and tangy at the same time.
It's no use describing taste imo.
Black cherry can be good or bland, depends on seed source I think. These taste better than any black cherry I have grown. I credit the potato leaf for the flavour. The reason I wanted a potato leaf cherry was because I think overall potato leaf tomatoes have the best flavour development.
These are only at F2 so still lots of work to do and hoping the flavour keeps coming through as the cross stabilizes.
KarenO

efisakov September 2, 2016 05:52 AM

[QUOTE=KarenO;590384]The cross was between two tomatoes I really like. Captain lucky and ambrosia gold. They taste like them. Balanced. Both sweet and tangy at the same time. I personally find sun gold doesn't really taste "tomatoey"
These taste like a big tomato to me. Especially the black. Like Cherokee purple-sweet and tangy at the same time.
It's no use describing taste imo.
Black cherry can be good or bland, depends on seed source I think. These taste better than any black cherry I have grown. I credit the potato leaf for the flavour. The reason I wanted a potato leaf cherry was because I think overall potato leaf tomatoes have the best flavour development.
These are only at F2 so still lots of work to do and hoping the flavour keeps coming through as the cross stabilizes.
KarenO[/QUOTE]

KarenO, hope you get it. Pl cherry is great choice.

ginger2778 September 2, 2016 07:21 AM

Thans all, I am safe. Here, not even much wind, just usual S.FL. summertime rain, every single afternoon.
I am looking forward to tasting the six F3s I will be growing. :D

Barb_FL September 2, 2016 09:04 AM

They look and sound really good.