Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Maglia Rosa is excellent for containers and small spaces (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30721)

BlackBear February 14, 2018 05:14 PM

Seeds Planted !

It's a go ! Seeds Planted !... and this is the year to try Maglia Rosa.

Shrinkrap April 30, 2018 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my MR seedlings,on the far left. Marzano Fire to the right of them, and a few of my dwarf seedlings, all destined for containers. Not sure MR will be a good Earthbox mate with the dwarf project plants. Might go with the Gardener 's Supply self watering planter. Happy I found this thread; I was starting to think something was wrong with my little seedlings.

Labradors2 April 30, 2018 04:38 PM

If it helps, I have found that Maglia Rosa does fine in a 3 gallon container.

Linda

clara April 30, 2018 06:42 PM

I always keep Maglia Rosa in large hanging baskets and it seems to like it! Although our last summer wasn't a real summer, the production was very good - one day I could pick 60 tomatoes from one single basket. But of course, that wasn't all. Both plants produced till the end of the season. For this year, I will have two baskets again.

Shrinkrap April 30, 2018 07:01 PM

Thanks all!

It gets so hot and dry here, I am limited to self watering planters, and even those need to be filled three times a day at the height of the season. I did read about a self watering basket, but I can't imagine the reservoir would be very big.

clara April 30, 2018 07:11 PM

My hanging baskets (at least those for Maglia Rosa) have a self-watering system and even during very hot days, I have to refill them only every second day.

I have 26 hanging baskets (24 on my 2 "tomato gallows") and when one of them is kaput, I shall only buy new ones with that self-watering system. The "normal" ones sometimes have to be watered twice per day.

roper2008 July 9, 2018 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Two Maglia Rosa's in my earthbox. Despite it having leaf issues, it is still producing
well. Next year I will have 4, maybe 6 plants.

Shrinkrap July 9, 2018 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
MR in late June. The one that DIDN'T get a spot in the self-watering container, but is setting fruit first.

roper2008 July 10, 2018 06:52 PM

Nice plant. The Maglia Rosa is a tasty tomato. I’m chopping
some up right now to freeze.

Shrinkrap July 16, 2018 10:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I know they taste different at different ripeness/colors.

How about these?

Fred Hempel July 17, 2018 12:26 AM

Looks like peak flavor. Light pink.

But sometimes with weather conditions, peak flavor shifts one way or the other.

Shrinkrap July 17, 2018 01:35 AM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;708518]Looks like peak flavor. Light pink.

But sometimes with weather conditions, peak flavor shifts one way or the other.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Koala Doug July 17, 2018 11:24 AM

[QUOTE=Shrinkrap;708505]I know they taste different at different ripeness/colors.

How about these?[/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]Try 'em![/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]I found that I prefer Maglia Rosa quite ripe (beyond what Fred recommends), but everybody is different... so experiment![/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond];) [/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

Labradors2 July 17, 2018 11:54 AM

I didn't want to be the odd (wo)man out and say it, but I agree with Koala Doug that riper is better! That's not to say that Maglia Rosa isn't good at any stage of ripeness which is a major plus to those (like me) who sometimes cannot wait to eat them :).

Linda

BlackBear July 17, 2018 01:50 PM

Good and tasty !

Mine are good and tasty …

I will see how long and productive it keeps up. :)