Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Triple Variety Tomato Graft Experiment (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29665)

Delerium March 28, 2014 12:35 PM

No those were some spare Carrots seedlings that i didn't feel like throwing out. Wasn't there a book on planting Carrots with tomatoes? I figured.. who knows i might get a really really big carrot with the amount of depth this container has :).

efisakov March 28, 2014 12:42 PM

You are correct:
"Carrots, lettuce, radish, onions, and tomatoes are friends. Dill isn’t, so plant it at the other end of the garden..."

Good thinking.

RootLoops March 28, 2014 12:49 PM

looking great! i love how your garden is all neatly laid out. have you given any thought to vertical gardening to increase growing area?

Delerium March 28, 2014 01:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=RootLoops;400987]looking great! i love how your garden is all neatly laid out. have you given any thought to vertical gardening to increase growing area?[/QUOTE]

Yes i have Rootloops. I didn't like the idea of wasting to much space on onions in raised beds.. so i wanted to see how well they would do in a 5 gal bucket. And surprisingly its working out "ok" for now. Then got me thinking that i could probably grow more food by stacking another 5 gal bucket on top as i water the top container whatever that would normally get leached out would water the 2nd planter in the bottom. Not sure how well it would work but.. I think I am going to give it a try when i have some time.

Pic 1 - Onion Bucket
Pic 2 - Carrots, Peas (2nd planting) & Cabbages (I am surprised at how well the carrots and cabbages did together)
Pic 3 - Plenty of Greens (the never ending Kale bed)
Pic 4 - More Cole Crops
Pic 5 - The Monster Cabbage that's taking forever to head. I never expected this to get this big in a container.

RootLoops March 28, 2014 01:30 PM

wow!!!! i love those onion buckets!

efisakov March 28, 2014 01:37 PM

Delerium, is there anything that you do not grow? My applause.

Delerium March 28, 2014 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spotted this guy next to all the bees. I'm guessing this is a jumping spider ready to feast on a bee. :?

Delerium March 28, 2014 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=efisakov;401001]Delerium, is there anything that you do not grow? My applause.[/QUOTE]

We are gardening addicts! :) I am already thinking about our fall planting lol.

[QUOTE=RootLoops;400999]wow!!!! i love those onion buckets![/QUOTE]

Thanks! I just hope it bulbs up like the ones in the ground. Stack 2 buckets you got a good number of onions.

RootLoops March 28, 2014 03:34 PM

i can't wait to see how they turn out!

Delerium March 30, 2014 12:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pic 1,2 and 3 Day 6 - Outdoor Oyster Mushroom Harvest. Time to clone it again and keep it going.

Pic 4 & 5 - Harvested some carrots today.

Stanley2 March 30, 2014 04:24 PM

Thats is just great! You are an example to follow!

aclum March 30, 2014 06:02 PM

Hi Delerium,

Your garden continues to amaze me with the variety and apparent quality of all the veggies you're growing! Onion barrel is a great idea and the carrots are very beautiful. (You really do need a rabbit:yes:). I think I'm going to have to diversify my garden a bit and start something besides tomatoes soon. (I did attempt to start some oyster mushroom spawn today. We'll see how that goes).

Assuming your wife does most of the prep and cooking, she must spend as much time in the kitchen as you do in the garden. Do you all do much in the way of pickling or canning or otherwise preserving the harvest?

Well, happy gardening.... looks like we're in for a bit more rain today!

Anne

RootLoops March 30, 2014 07:23 PM

that's all super awesome!!!

Delerium March 31, 2014 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Stanley2 - Thanks! I spotted your first tomato! Congrats. If you would like some tomato seeds to add more varieties to your garden just send me a PM.

Anne - Thanks! Now that tomato grafts are out of the way i can play around with grafting other veggies like cukes, watermelon and squash etc. We were trying to find a rabbit this weekend at a pet store but ended up with a cute puppy. Oysters are luckily for us easy to grow and very forgiving. I've been thinking about what you suggested and try some Morels & Straw mushrooms to cultivate. I read somewhere that you could take cuttings from morels to get mycelium started also. My wife loves to cook and we do make lots of spicy curries. I'll show you some mushroom curry we made with the recipe attached if you want to give it a try.

Recipe link - [url]http://www.foodcnr.com/2013/10/sri-lankan-style-mushroom-curry.html[/url]

RootLoops - Thanks man! You need to show us your mushroom preps. I am going to try epsilons mushroom soup spawn method. I have some questions for the 2 of you to see if i am doing it right or not.

Delerium March 31, 2014 03:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
If you did not catch this in my earlier posts almost a year ago. This is the easiest way to graft multiple varieties which i call it vertical grafting. It's so easy its almost to stupid to be true. No humidity chambers, no fancy grafting clips, you can let the grafts heal right outside without babying them indoors.. All you need is some Aquarium tubing and wire. Basically i came up with this method because i wanted carry over eggplant suckers (which are hard to root) and the only way for me to successfully do that was to combine it with a tomato plant so the root system of the tomato plant would support the eggplant sucker and eventually as the graft healed the eggplant would throw out its own roots. For almost a year i wondered if it was possible to have a hybrid root system (like the eggplant root system working along with a tomato root system and combining qualities of both in to one plant). This is where it puzzled me about grafting in general - because in order for the scion to reap the rewards of the root stock the scion had to be above ground level. If the scion rooted then those qualities would be lost. Now if that's the case in an eggplant/tomato situation how would that work out? Okay for James & Anne if you haven't done the bouquet grafting yet method.. here is how i do it.