Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Container Makeover, Denver (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38433)

PureHarvest July 8, 2017 12:53 PM

Looking good Ricky!
I love the squash leaves.
What variety?

Gerardo July 8, 2017 01:36 PM

Great growth, I concur on the squash. Half-buried no doubt regulates their temp.
Finger crossed, bugs stay at arm's length.

Hip hip hooray for the powders.

Nematode July 8, 2017 08:04 PM

Ricky,
Do you find the fabric pots thirstier than the poly film ones, or are the about the same?
Thx

Ricky Shaw July 9, 2017 07:55 AM

Thanks guys! The zucchini is Summer Squash from the Burpee rack at Home Depot and Spacemiser from 2BSeeds. First time grow on the Burpee product, but grew the Spacemiser last year and it was the best. The plant grew to the size of a washing machine, not small at all and was not a factor for me, just saying.

The poly bags lose less to evaporation and appear to grow plants just as well as the fabrics, whilst cheaper to buy. I thought the future was fabrics, but maybe it's plastics like they said.

Randall July 12, 2017 05:46 PM

Everything looks completely happy!

ginger2778 July 12, 2017 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Ricky Shaw;653188]Thanks guys! The zucchini is Summer Squash from the Burpee rack at Home Depot and Spacemiser from 2BSeeds. First time grow on the Burpee product, but grew the Spacemiser last year and it was the best. The plant grew to the size of a washing machine, not small at all and was not a factor for me, just saying.

The poly bags lose less to evaporation and appear to grow plants just as well as the fabrics, whilst cheaper to buy. I thought the future was fabrics, but maybe it's plastics like they said.[/QUOTE]

Koo koo ka choo .

Ricky Shaw July 24, 2017 12:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
First beefsteak, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, planted out Memorial Day, and less than 60 days. It was first tom last year also and not sure how that happens, 12" -16" on plant out. AKmark's CY and mine both come ripe, so I doubt it's crossed. The single stem looks dead and has more tomato than foliage, but they keep pumping out big fruit. The little locomotive that could. I got like six of them growing in different ways. Love hate, but it's my favorite.

Couple other general pics, squash have gone nuts growing in the half buried grow bags at half the water and ferts. So far, that's been a good move. And a wall of Rebel Yell.

jillian July 24, 2017 12:57 PM

Beautiful, as always!

BigVanVader July 25, 2017 06:51 AM

Gorgeous garden dude. Those RY look huge!

My Foot Smells July 25, 2017 07:52 AM

Everything looks purrrfect.

Q: Why do you lay trellis on the ground?

Ricky Shaw July 25, 2017 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They're tracks for my tractor. My largeness sinks the wheels too far in the wood mulch and makes it difficult to scoot along. It's the poly stuff used and I got a bunch of it at Habitat for Humanity for 50 cents a sheet. I've now spread it about for it's cooling effect and it has also cut down on wood chunks flipping up and getting inside my Crocs.

Ricky Shaw July 25, 2017 10:42 PM

Thank you Jillian, Van, Randall. And Marsha an extra thank you for that Olive Hill. What a beautiful strong and productive plant, if it tastes half as good as it grows, I'll be planting several of those next year.

SQWIBB February 28, 2018 12:16 PM

Quite impressive, I really enjoyed the entire thread, I love these progression posts, hopefully we will see more in 2018
Thank you so much.

Ricky Shaw March 12, 2018 06:11 PM

Thank you so much for the kind words SQWIBB, unfortunately for me I'll not be tending a garden this year. My time is split between an ailing mom in East Texas, the dear wife awaiting an organ transplant at her sisters in South Florida, and keeping our house running in Denver. I hope to add to the thread in 2019 and do check in often on my buds in T'ville.

Barb_FL March 12, 2018 06:17 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your wife and mother's health problems. Wishing for a speedy organ transplant and recovery for both.

I always enjoyed reading your posts.