Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Can unpollinated squash form tiny fruit that never mature? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45290)

JerryHaskins June 15, 2017 08:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, this morning I went to the garden to manually pollinate some female squash blossoms.

See attached female squash blossoms.

Note the 3 little segments.

Question: Where do I rub the Q-tip coated with pollen from a male blossom?

Does it go in the middle or around the outside edges of the 3 little segments?

Or, am I too late after the female blossom opens up the 3 little segments?

TexasTomat0 June 15, 2017 10:33 AM

Does anyone know if the weird shaped fruit due to partial pollination apply to cucumbers as well? I've got several funky shaped ones on the vine now.

BigVanVader June 15, 2017 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=TexasTomat0;647259]Does anyone know if the weird shaped fruit due to partial pollination apply to cucumbers as well? I've got several funky shaped ones on the vine now.[/QUOTE]

I think that has more to do with environmental stress. I just pull them off so the plant can focus on making new ones. If I see a lot of curved cukes or cukes that are big near the bottom and skinny at top I water/fertilize and it fixes it.

Lee June 15, 2017 10:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=JerryHaskins;647245]Well, this morning I went to the garden to manually pollinate some female squash blossoms.

See attached female squash blossoms.

Note the 3 little segments.

Question: Where do I rub the Q-tip coated with pollen from a male blossom?

Does it go in the middle or around the outside edges of the 3 little segments?

Or, am I too late after the female blossom opens up the 3 little segments?[/QUOTE]

I just remove the male blossom and after pulling off the petals, rub it along the stigma of the female flower.
I feel the q-tip method is just an added unnecessary step in the process.

Lately though, the bees have decided to do the work for me! Love hearing these guys as I roam the garden in the mornings... :)

Lee

JerryHaskins June 15, 2017 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=Lee;647264]I just remove the male blossom and after pulling off the petals, rub it along the stigma of the female flower.
I feel the q-tip method is just an added unnecessary step in the process.

Lately though, the bees have decided to do the work for me! Love hearing these guys as I roam the garden in the mornings... :)

Lee[/QUOTE]Thanks.

I can do that, but whatever I use, do I rub the pollen in the 3-way split opening in the center of the stigma or around the outside edge of the stigma?

Starlight June 15, 2017 05:35 PM

I rub the top of the 3 way split real good. That is where the tubes are that the pollen will go down in to. I always try and coat real good as the bees will try and gather what they can up. Nothing like going out and hand pollinating and having the bees come behind up and gather up your hard work.

I agree with Lee, no need for Q-tip. You lose too much pollen and also it is easy to crush it using the Q-tip and then your pollen no good. Have fun dabbing! : )

JerryHaskins June 15, 2017 09:16 PM

Thanks! Will do tomorrow morning!

I have plenty of male blossoms.

The males outnumber the available females about 20 to 1.

Ain't that always the case? :twisted:

Barbee June 16, 2017 08:00 AM

[QUOTE=JerryHaskins;647425]Thanks! Will do tomorrow morning!

I have plenty of male blossoms.

The males outnumber the available females about 20 to 1.

Ain't that always the case? :twisted:[/QUOTE]

You can use more than 1 male to pollinate. I use 2-3 per female

JerryHaskins June 16, 2017 05:12 PM

Good idea, Barbee.

Thanks everybody!

I used to grow plenty of nice, big, pretty summer squash without much attention at all.

My parents did as well when I was a kid growing up in the country.