Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Free seed of 2012 crosses (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25303)

Darren Abbey November 10, 2012 05:34 AM

Seeds arrived today. Thanks. I'm looking forward to growing a few of them next spring.

delltraveller November 10, 2012 11:45 AM

Seeds arrived safe and sound.

I have a question. You mentioned in your initial post that you were unsure whether your Rose Quartz Multiflora was correct. You've labeled it as "Red Multiflora" on one of the seed packets you sent me. Does that mean that the tomato you grew had a yellow epidermis? Or is it reading "red" from a darker red flesh showing through a clear epidermis?

roper2008 November 10, 2012 05:16 PM

Seeds arrived yesterday...

Thank you

ChrisK November 10, 2012 05:36 PM

I am not really sure about the epidermis. Here is a link to pix I took:

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24476[/url]

[QUOTE=delltraveller;310029]Seeds arrived safe and sound.

I have a question. You mentioned in your initial post that you were unsure whether your Rose Quartz Multiflora was correct. You've labeled it as "Red Multiflora" on one of the seed packets you sent me. Does that mean that the tomato you grew had a yellow epidermis? Or is it reading "red" from a darker red flesh showing through a clear epidermis?[/QUOTE]

roper2008 November 11, 2012 07:25 AM

Question: I will be spraying my tomatoes regularly for blight.
Do you want me to spay these also, or do you want to see
how they stand up to disease?

sicily November 11, 2012 09:09 AM

Seeds arrived yesterday. I'll be starting them sometime late Feb. early March. Thanks, I'll keep records and take photos.

ChrisK November 11, 2012 09:33 AM

Treat them as you normally would. They can be assessed for disease tolerance in later generations.

[QUOTE=roper2008;310177]Question: I will be spraying my tomatoes regularly for blight.
Do you want me to spay these also, or do you want to see
how they stand up to disease?[/QUOTE]

delltraveller November 11, 2012 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=ChrisK;310104]I am not really sure about the epidermis. Here is a link to pix I took:

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24476[/url][/QUOTE]

I don't find any links to pictures in that thread when I look at it.

ChrisK November 11, 2012 08:05 PM

post #7 in that thread has my pictures of the multiflora flowers and fruit.

[QUOTE=delltraveller;310267]I don't find any links to pictures in that thread when I look at it.[/QUOTE]

bwaynef November 11, 2012 08:51 PM

I'm just doing my research as to what to expect from the crosses I received. That led me to wonder what the desired result(s) were for each cross. Are you looking for anything specific out of each of these?

This will be my first foray into breeding/selection, so I'm just looking for any pointers as to what to look for.

Thanks,

goodwin November 11, 2012 09:40 PM

Chris -
Thanks for the seeds. I will keep you informed and send anything back from the F2 that looks interesting.
Lee

ChrisK November 11, 2012 11:10 PM

I have only a general idea of what I'm looking for, mostly flavor improvements in many of them (e.g. the Juliet crosses). I'm really looking forward to the Dr. Carolyn crosses as I'd love to have some striped/multicolored cherries. Dr. C is a really good tomato, as are those I crossed it with. I'd really like to have more multi-flora lines to play with so thats why I chose that variety.

Keep in mind you are growing the F1 plants next year (or now if you are in the southern hemisphere) and returning some of the F2 seed to me. The traits will start to segregate in the F2 plants likely grown in 2014.

I am not expecting much in the current F1's I sent you all. Think of it like the dwarf project. the F1 is usually pretty unremarkable. The dwarf plants start to show up in the F2. The F2 and beyond are the most interesting generations. It's also where the numbers of plants to grow explodes!

Many of the crosses I offered in this thread are between stable open pollinated parents. Thus the F1's will all be identical and there is no need to grow many plants. That's why I sent only a few seeds. Any cross with an F1 as a [U]parent[/U] (e.g. Juliet or Sungold crosses) will segregate in the generation you received, so multiple plants would be good to grow. Don't go crazy though!

Don't hesitate to ask if there are other questions!

delltraveller November 12, 2012 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=ChrisK;310271]post #7 in that thread has my pictures of the multiflora flowers and fruit.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I figured it out. The link takes me to the thread, but not logged in, and it doesn't display your picture links if I'm not logged in.

From the picture, I'd be inclined to call them pink, a dark pink. At least the way my monitor is adjusted, I don't see the orange tones of a red. So, crossed with Prudens Purple, I'll expect a clear epidermis in the F1, a pink tomato.

delltraveller November 12, 2012 03:24 PM

Chris, about your Rose Quartz Multiflora, IMO it is within normal variation tolerances for that variety. It is multifloral, it is pink, the size and shape are within the correct range. Environmental factors can lead to the nipple variations, so I think it looks right. The variety is a dark pink and your picture looks like a dark pink to me.

ChrisK November 12, 2012 10:27 PM

Hmm, OK. The nipple and shape threw me and the color didn't look quite the same, but it's almost impossible to compare since monitors and cameras vary. Doesn't really look like the RQ MF at doublehelix: [URL]http://www.doublehelixfarms.com/rose-quartz[/URL] I don't recall mine ever having any yellow.

The reason I picked it for crossing was for the multiflora trait. The only other one I have is Ildi, so I was actually pleasantly surprised to see it. Just wish my trading partner had responded to IMs!

[QUOTE=delltraveller;310346]Chris, about your Rose Quartz Multiflora, IMO it is within normal variation tolerances for that variety. It is multifloral, it is pink, the size and shape are within the correct range. Environmental factors can lead to the nipple variations, so I think it looks right. The variety is a dark pink and your picture looks like a dark pink to me.[/QUOTE]