Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Alpine Strawberries? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7621)

OmahaJB February 14, 2009 08:47 AM

Happened to come across this thread this morning. I have some Alpine Ruegen seeds that I will be starting soon - or trying to. I found it interesting that some of you have had the same plants for years. (Unless I read wrong.) I was under the impression strawberry plants have to be replaced every year. I haven't grown them since my family did when I was a kid, so don't know much about them really. So what I want to ask is, can the plants survive a northern U.S. winter in the ground, or is it necessary to grow new ones each year?
Also, when I start my seeds will it be alright to start them in the same 4" container then transplant into individual containers after they sprout, or should they be started from the get-go in individual 2" & 4" containers? Mine will eventually be transplanted into the ground.

Thanks, Jeff

Sherry_AK February 14, 2009 03:22 PM

Jeff -- If your question is specific to Alpine Strawberries, mine never wintered over. Otherwise, there are many varieties that winter over, even here in Alaska. I think it's best to replace at least some plants every 3 or 4 years for optimum production.

Sherry

OmahaJB February 14, 2009 04:27 PM

Sherry,

I normally have trouble starting small seeds so this may not work for me anyways, but thanks for the info. Was having a hard time imagining strawberry plants wintering over here, but evidently some can.

gardenfrog February 15, 2009 10:45 AM

I've had great results by started by seed as well as bad results. Last year I had poor germination. Have been told that germination is much better after placing seeds in the freezer for several weeks. That's where my seeds are at the moment. Germination for leeks is may also be improved by placing seeds in the freezer for several weeks.

gardenpaws_VA February 15, 2009 01:50 PM

I've never had them NOT winter over, unless there was either severe frost heaving or the squirrels dug them up and exposed the roots. This info is based on gardens in Rochester NY, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and zone 7 Northern VA.

FWIW, my alpine strawberries frequently sprout in early fall from the current year's dropped berries (the ones which got mostly hollowed out by slugs), so freezing does not seem to be necessary. They ARE slow to germinate, however.

OmahaJB February 15, 2009 03:32 PM

I'm going to give this a try soon. Two days ago I put the seeds in the fridge. Guess I'll move them to the freezer for a week before sowing next weekend. There's a perfect place in the garden for these so hopefully it'll work out. :)

Polar_Lace February 15, 2009 10:03 PM

Hi all,

One way that I stratify seeds (when I forget to put them out in the Fall) is to wet down a window sill box, sow the seeds on top of the soil; then place 2 plastic bags of ice on top of them. When I lived in upstate NY I even did it. Cause I always forgot some seeds along the way. I used to let the ice melt on it's own and sometimes followed up with more ice.

If I couldn't put more ice on top, and it was starting to warm up, then I would put some plastic on top with bent metal clothes hangers (I found that walmart sells metal clothes hangers 10 in a pack for $1.24, plastic coated no less, in white or black.) Very fashionable! The plastic sheeting I used was bought at walmart too; in the paint section. A 3 pack of plastic drop cloth (9'x12' each,) gauge .7 mil. They make nice mini-hoop enclosures. I only bought the 9'x12' (3 pack) cause I can't be bothered finagling around with the larger sized plastic.

Using this method I was able to create a winter freezing/warming climate for the seeds that need the stratification method. HTH

~* Robin

Tormato February 17, 2009 12:48 PM

Jeff,

I divided my alpine strawberries crowns last year. I went from 9 plants to 150+. Want some?

Gary

OmahaJB February 17, 2009 04:34 PM

Robin,

Very creative idea there...will have to keep it in mind.

Gary,

I'll send you a PM. Maybe I'll take a couple. I'll pay for shipping of course. Appreciate the offer!

Jeff