Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Making fresh tomato sauce with a cheese grater (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42623)

Relish May 9, 2017 01:56 AM

[QUOTE=SteveP;638071]Looks pretty cool and effective to me. I bet after adding garlic, onions, mushrooms, basil, S&P and some Italian seasoning and simmering it for an hour to reduce the water it would be really good. I am definately going to try this when I get tomatoes.[/QUOTE]

I like your style....

Rockporter May 9, 2017 02:03 AM

hmm, I just took off a pan of tomatoes that I cooked down and cooled. Tomorrow I will have to do the best I can to get as many seeds as possible out of it before I use the immersion blender on it to make the sauce less chunky. I would try the grater, but I would remove as many seeds as possible first, then cook it down.

shule1 May 9, 2017 02:55 AM

[QUOTE=LoreD;588322]Really cool method for removing the skin.

[url]www.metaspoon.com/tomato-sauce-cheese-grater-food?cat=food[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip! :)

I like tomato skins, but it looks like a quick way to make fresh sauce/salsa without a food processor or something. I could always use the skins for something else. Maybe tomato vinegar! :)

sdambr May 9, 2017 09:31 AM

Thanks for sharing, I tried this last night and used it to make a dressing for a salad. Worked and tasted great!

Frank D May 12, 2017 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=shule1;638294]Thanks for the tip! :)

I like tomato skins, but it looks like a quick way to make fresh sauce/salsa without a food processor or something. I could always use the skins for something else. Maybe tomato vinegar! :)[/QUOTE]

Or Vodka!

BigVanVader May 12, 2017 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=Rockporter;638293]hmm, I just took off a pan of tomatoes that I cooked down and cooled. Tomorrow I will have to do the best I can to get as many seeds as possible out of it before I use the immersion blender on it to make the sauce less chunky. I would try the grater, but I would remove as many seeds as possible first, then cook it down.[/QUOTE]

I always half then squeeze out juice/seeds over a fine mesh strainer. Gets 100% of seeds and then I can add back juice if needed plus save all my seeds in one process.

jtjmartin May 12, 2017 10:21 AM

Added to my list to try! Thanks for posting.

shule1 May 12, 2017 10:32 AM

I tried the cheese grater method. It works pretty well.

Worth1 May 12, 2017 11:43 AM

Not gonna happen at my house I have a food processor and I don't mind skins.
Not that it isn't a bad idea.
To me sauce and salsa mean the same thing.
Worth

coronabarb May 12, 2017 12:37 PM

I don't mind skins either and figure they are good for me. On the other hand, my chickens love them. So, either way, I eat them :D

Rockporter May 12, 2017 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;639043]I always half then squeeze out juice/seeds over a fine mesh strainer. Gets 100% of seeds and then I can add back juice if needed plus save all my seeds in one process.[/QUOTE]

Great idea!

oakley May 12, 2017 04:00 PM

Good idea. Save seeds, save the juices, grate for a quick sauce. Put the skins into the
dehydrator for powder.
I could see doing that once in the fall. Or freeze the skins until enough are collected
for the dehydrator. Skins have a lot of flavor, especially for powder.

I don't usually bother skinning/seeding for most things but dehydrating i need to get some of the
moisture out so i save the juices.