Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Planting Peas Yet? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=743)

SelfSufficient1 March 20, 2006 08:57 PM

I bought some type of snow peas from Tanagers, a purple and a yellow. They are in the garden and up about 3 inches. I should have the regular peas planted but have yet to get that garden going yet. This year I am trying a different one called Thomas Laxton, that only grow 15-20" tall.

Spider March 22, 2006 05:30 PM

I normally grow Thomas Laxton and it is a very good producer here in Ky; this year I sowed "Mr Big" and they were peeping up at me until an one and a half inch snow blanket on the 21st, melting today and still there. I grew Mr Big as it is a very large pea, easily shelled and canned.

PNW_D March 23, 2006 09:20 AM

Clay,

No worries about wasting tomato growing space. The wee bed will work perfectly for peas (we will see), but as the trees leaf out there simply is not enough sun to grow the 'maters
:)

clay199 March 23, 2006 12:04 PM

D,
that is very clever putting peas under tree.
I have saw, will remove said tree next visit to the big smoke, which is on April 22. Just put ribbon on offenders.

:)

tanagerzoo March 24, 2006 07:16 AM

I planted sugar, snow, and English peas on the 8th--I usually wait until March 14th but we had a nice warm week forcasted. I also put down seed for lettuce, spinach, beets, and radishes. The warmth must have helped as I had germination in everything by the 17th right before the cold snap hit. Everything is doing just fine though. The broccoli has been hardening off for the past week and it will go in the ground around the 28th to the 1st. The forsythia, btw, is in full bloom on my property (since about the 16th), but not in other areas.

Christine

Althea April 2, 2006 07:26 AM

I planted peas yesterday, Thomas Laxton and Blue Podded Shelling Peas "Blauwschokkers". I had been planning to try "Mr. Big", but decided to use up the T.L. seeds leftover from last year. It's raining now, giving them a nice drink to start.

ddsack April 2, 2006 07:59 PM

Good grief, Althea! You must be down near the Iowa border. I am so jealous! I still have snow on my gardens. Seems like the last place it melts off every year. If we just got some good downpours it would go fast, but all we get is a miserable light occasional drizzle. Mr. Big is a great pea, I also grow Tall Telephone and Sugar snap peas.

Althea April 3, 2006 07:37 AM

Hi ddsack, I'm in St. Paul. Where are you? Last year one of neighbors planted his peas on April 5 during a quick break from the cold and they grew beautifully. His garden was my inspiration. The bed I planted is south facing and since the soil was workable, I went ahead and planted. I also moved two perennials. The beds that don't get as much direct sun are still frozen, but all of the snow is melted.

ddsack April 3, 2006 05:45 PM

Althea, I am not too far from Bemidji. My sis is south of the twin cities near Jordan, I can't stand how much faster it warms up down there! I swear there is a visible zone line just north of Walker, everyone south is bone dry, and we still have snow in the ditches every year. I NEED a greenhouse!

Dee

Althea April 4, 2006 07:53 AM

Dee, I love the Bemidji area and Bemidji itself. We have a place in Hackensack and spent quite a lot of time there a few years ago, and went to Bemidji to Harmony Co-op and Tutto Bene frequently. The gardening was more of a challenge because of the colder climate and also because of moose eating the plants in the garden. If we ever move there permanently, I'd definitely want a big greenhouse and a big fence.

DonnaMarieNJ April 4, 2006 11:08 AM

Do you sow directly in the soil outside in March? I just put mine in the ground this past weekend. (Zone 6b). Am I too late? Should I have started them indoors? I'm talking about snow peas.

Tomstrees April 4, 2006 12:06 PM

DonnaMarieNJ,

I'm in central NJ ~ I'm
going to plant mine this weekend.
Yes I'm going to direct sow ~
Last year , direct sown seeds
did better than transplants.

~ Tom

Sorellina April 4, 2006 05:06 PM

Ciao all,

I decided to start snow peas, snap peas, and English peas on Sunday, as well as carrots, radishes, and beets. We've been cooped up too long, so we also transplanted bok choi, purple cauliflower, sunflowers, nasturtiums, and pansies into Munchkin's garden. Wouldn't you know it, yesterday we had thundershowers and snow in the forecast so I made quick cloches out of pop bottles with the bottoms cut off and they seem to be doing ok today. Sigh, Spring can't come too soon for me.

Tomstrees April 17, 2006 09:46 AM

Planted my peas on Sat. ~
Oh the weather is sooo
tempting for oh, so much more !!!
~ Tom

DonnaMarieNJ May 8, 2006 10:44 PM

Tom, how big are your pea plants now? Just trying to compare. Thanks