Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Tomatoes for Plant Sale 2011 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16851)

akgardengirl January 25, 2012 01:09 PM

For a yellow, I grow "Native Sun" which is a good producer and an early here for me in Anchorage, AK. Sets in cool weather which is usually our whole summer. It's from Tim Peters research and it you want some seed, just pm me.
Sue B.

Worth1 January 25, 2012 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=akgardengirl;250917]For a yellow, I grow "Native Sun" which is a good producer and an early here for me in Anchorage, AK. Sets in cool weather which is usually our whole summer. It's from Tim Peters research and it you want some seed, just pm me.
Sue B.[/QUOTE]

Sue the Aurora you sent me did great it was the first to eat a tomato from.

Worth

Worth1 January 25, 2012 01:26 PM

I have to add that the smaller tomato plants did well for a guy I know in Alaska.

Oregon spring and 506 bush.
Also I can see lime green salad doing well.

Worth

akgardengirl January 25, 2012 01:56 PM

Yes, Aurora is my old standby. Thanks for the reminder Worth.
Sue

ljp January 25, 2012 09:53 PM

I'm in Zone 3a

Sub Arctic Plenty is the first tomato I stopped growing and gave all the seed away. It was the only tomato that was affected by cold in my greenhouse :).

Although some don't like them Sandpoint and Silver Fir Tree grown in pots are my first tomatoes and I like them. Sandpoint did better in the ground.

Later tomatoes that did well for me are Black from Tula, Purple Prince (my best producer probably because my wife doesn't like it), Japanese Black Trifele, Moldovan Green, and Chocolate (just Chocolate)

I grow Sweet 100s and Ildi. I'm hoping to try some different ones this year.

Worth1 January 25, 2012 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=ljp;251036]I'm in Zone 3a

Sub Arctic Plenty is the first tomato I stopped growing and gave all the seed away. It was the only tomato that was affected by cold in my greenhouse :).

Although some don't like them Sandpoint and Silver Fir Tree grown in pots are my first tomatoes and I like them. Sandpoint did better in the ground.

Later tomatoes that did well for me are Black from Tula, Purple Prince (my best producer probably because my wife doesn't like it), Japanese Black Trifele, Moldovan Green, and Chocolate (just Chocolate)

I grow Sweet 100s and Ildi. I'm hoping to try some different ones this year.[/QUOTE]

I would go for the shortest growing season tomatoes I could find.

Indeterminate tomatoes would be a good choice.

Worth

ljp January 25, 2012 10:12 PM

Worth,

I grew 26 varieties. Most were mid to late season and fortunately we got an extra month for growing. I like Carolyn's view that it's better to try for the longer season better tasting tomatoes. I'm working on starting them earlier so they will be larger when I plant them out. I have a difficult time believing that DTM isn't affected by the size of the plant/stage of development when the tomato is planted. Also, I haven't noted a great deal of consistency with predicted and actual days to maturity.

Worth1 January 25, 2012 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=ljp;251040]Worth,

I grew 26 varieties. Most were mid to late season and fortunately we got an extra month for growing. I like Carolyn's view that it's better to try for the longer season better tasting tomatoes. I'm working on starting them earlier so they will be larger when I plant them out. I have a difficult time believing that DTM isn't affected by the size of the plant/stage of development when the tomato is planted. Also, I haven't noted a great deal of consistency with predicted and actual days to maturity.[/QUOTE]

Carolyn is right I apologize I was thinking on pure productivity.:(

I have a short growing season here in Texas too, strange as that may seem.:)

Worth

barbamWY November 28, 2012 11:30 PM

I am planning for the plant sale of 2013. I am planning on including: Early Wonder, Defiant, Kimberly, Applause, Siletz, Siberian, Cosmonaut Volkov, Legend, Break O' Day, Moreton Hyb, Sweet Tangerine, Sheyenne, Black Early, Lemon Boy, Willamette, Mountain Fresh, Green Zebra, Delicious, Neves Azorean, Amish Paste, Plum Regal, Sungold, Mexico Midget, Juliet, Chocolate Cherry, Chadwick Cherry and Fargo Yellow Pear. We did not sell Glacier and Stupice like we usually do and people wanted cherry tomatoes in 2012. And Prudens Purple which is one of my favorites did not sell well either nor did Heidi. I am thinking of adding a large mid to late season, but although I love Stump of the World, and Winsal, people are not liking potato leaf plants. Any recommendations?