Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Please share the parsley germination secret (again) (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17641)

stormymater April 7, 2011 01:01 AM

The second batch is up & doing mighty well! The first batch I thought I over H2O2ed & then placed on too much heat are also coming up - slowly as I got disgusted with them & moved them off the blankie & put them still in their plastic shroud outside - 2 6-packs on one side have sprouts - tough stout little sprouts & the other 4 6-packs nothing yet but I am not so worried now that the second tray has come on so strong.

Note to self - 1 T H2O2 in about a cup of very warm tapwater for about 28 grams of parsley seed. Let sit for a few hours then spoon (ok fine sub slop for spoon) onto 6-pack cells, sprinkle with a t starting medium, moisten & coer in plasti bag & place on heat - no more than 8 or 9 no matter how chilly the downstairs is. Expect germination in <7 days.

Tracydr June 16, 2011 11:14 PM

I soaked overnight and than kept damp on the ground just like carrot seeds. I let my patch go to seed and they've self sowed for two years now.
I have Italian flat parsley.

riceke June 6, 2013 08:04 AM

How long is the seed viable for parsley? That could be a factor for germination too. This Spring I scattered seed from a couple of years ago in 4" container but very few seeds germinated. One year in the fall I cut back the foliage and seperated the roots and replanted in fresh soil and it actually grew new plants. I also have "wild" parsley growing around the area that I had planted parsley the previous year. It must have self seeded. And no it isn't poison hemlock.

MrBig46 June 6, 2013 12:19 PM

We planted mostly radical parsley and we use root and leaves too. These leaves are better by me.
Some comments to germination of parsley seeds:
1.Seeds of parsley germinate about 21 day
2.Parsley seeds best germinate best on the light
3.The lifetime of seeds 1-3 years
4.Specialy conditioned seeds of parsley are shopped for profesional gardeners only. They must be growing into 3 months most latterly. They germinate 7 days.
Vladimír

Vespertino June 6, 2013 12:29 PM

I haven't tried soaking my parsley seeds, but I had luck putting them in very moist soil. They seem to like things wet, I didn't get good germination on my parsley until they were nearly waterlogged. It did take a long time for them to germinate, but it seems like they didn't pop up from the soil until I thought I'd finally drowned them.

riceke June 6, 2013 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=Vespertino;353982]I haven't tried soaking my parsley seeds, but I had luck putting them in very moist soil. They seem to like things wet, I didn't get good germination on my parsley until they were nearly waterlogged. It did take a long time for them to germinate, but it seems like they didn't pop up from the soil until I thought I'd finally drowned them.[/QUOTE]

That could be the reason. I'll try that next time.

riceke June 6, 2013 02:50 PM

Thanks MrBig

[QUOTE=MrBig46;353981]We planted mostly radical parsley and we use root and leaves too. These leaves are better by me.
Some comments to germination of parsley seeds:
1.Seeds of parsley germinate about 21 day
2.Parsley seeds best germinate best on the light
3.The lifetime of seeds 1-3 years
4.Specialy conditioned seeds of parsley are shopped for profesional gardeners only. They must be growing into 3 months most latterly. They germinate 7 days.
Vladimír[/QUOTE]

My seed may have been too old.

tjg911 June 6, 2013 04:30 PM

i thought that parsley seed was good for 5 years but a packet is cheap enough to buy a fresh one every 3 years. i soaked them this year but the germination is still slow tho maybe it was a little quicker. i cover the container with plastic wrap and keep it damp until they finally pop up. same family as carrot and they are a b&^%$ to germinate too!

tom