Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Pea seeds and a brief cold snap (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43829)

jmsieglaff February 18, 2017 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=ARgardener;619793]Yes, we've had rain. The seeds are brand new... just got them back in December from Baker Creek.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, that germination rate is poor and given your temps I'd guess you'd have better germination by now. Maybe you planted them too deep? Maybe contact Baker Creek, perhaps it is a bad lot of seed?

ARgardener February 18, 2017 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;619806]Hmmm, that germination rate is poor and given your temps I'd guess you'd have better germination by now. Maybe you planted them too deep? Maybe contact Baker Creek, perhaps it is a bad lot of seed?[/QUOTE]

I know, right? Temps have swayed a lot, but I don't think that should have mattered.
I very well may have planted too deep..:o

Wonder if I should just re-sow?

jmsieglaff February 18, 2017 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=ARgardener;619809]I know, right? Temps have swayed a lot, but I don't think that should have mattered.
I very well may have planted too deep..:o

Wonder if I should just re-sow?[/QUOTE]

Nothing to lose! Especially if your temps stay warm, they should be up in about 7 days. Don't go any more than 1/2" on top of the seeds and don't let them dry out!

ARgardener February 18, 2017 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;619812]Nothing to lose! Especially if your temps stay warm, they should be up in about 7 days. Don't go any more than 1/2" on top of the seeds and don't let them dry out![/QUOTE]

This thread got my thinking so I went out to check on the little things a few minutes ago and many more seeds are up. Maybe pushing 40%..

I think I may just leave things. Cornell University says spinach can take 3 weeks to emerge at 50 degree soil temp, and the soil was right at 50 when I planted.. maybe I'm on schedule. We'll see!:wait:

My Foot Smells February 19, 2017 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=ARgardener;619827]This thread got my thinking so I went out to check on the little things a few minutes ago and many more seeds are up. Maybe pushing 40%..

I think I may just leave things. Cornell University says spinach can take 3 weeks to emerge at 50 degree soil temp, and the soil was right at 50 when I planted.. maybe I'm on schedule. We'll see!:wait:[/QUOTE]

early fog, high temps, and rain expected early this week, should have everything sprouting and budding out. i have better luck w/ spinach in the fall, by the time things are kicking the heat gets the crop in spring-summer.

"schedule?" good one my friend, probably have to cut the yard by the end of the week. life is what happens when you are making other plans. have fun ARgardner - we are in the same neck of the woods.

MuddyToes February 20, 2017 01:16 AM

I'm having trouble germinating Brussels sprouts and mache. I wonder if the days are just not quite long enough yet. I finally got a couple of Brussels sprouts to pop up but now they are limp and flopped over. I think they need a little more light.