Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Crossing an F1 with an open pollinated (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47881)

PureHarvest July 24, 2018 08:56 PM

I’m catching on. If the mother was YB and it selfed, the seedlings would be PL.
Didn’t think of that. Thanks for the tip.
I picked the OJ as the mother because I figured the fruit to get the f1 seeds would ripen at least a week or two than YB.

PureHarvest August 27, 2018 03:06 PM

Brief Update (Orange Jazz x Yellow Brandywine F1):

4 plants in the ground for about 3 weeks now.
2 have flowers about to open.
If they can open in the next week and get pollinated, I think I should be well ahead of cold weather and get fruit. Plus they are in my high tunnel for a bit more control.
Stay tuned.

Rajun Gardener August 27, 2018 03:28 PM

Good Luck!!!! I have some F-2's started now and hope to harvest seeds to get a jump on next season.

PureHarvest April 26, 2019 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my F1 of Orange Jazz x Brandywine Platfoot, planted in bags in my high tunnel last week. Can't wait to see how they fruit and taste.
I have 3 bags with two plants per bag.

I did not get to taste the F1's from last year because they did not ripen on the vine before the days got cold and short. They were not striped but did start to go orange. They ripened inside the garage but were rock hard and had no flavor, hopefully from being picked green in November.

I did pull some seeds from those though and sowed 18 of them. Only half came up. Not sure if the seeds weren't ripe, or the fermentation i did was incomplete and the gel is inhibiting the germination.

I will plant those outside and see what surprises they bring.

[ATTACH]87030[/ATTACH]

bower April 26, 2019 09:39 PM

The F1's sure look great! It does sound like your fruit may not have fully ripened, hence the low seed germination. But still, even with a few, the surprises will be fun! :)8-)

PureHarvest May 23, 2019 09:43 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Here's an update. Man have they jumped in 3 weeks!
Fruit are coming on. Ribbed a little on top like parent Orange Jazz.
The leaves are regular, but have a definite potato leaf look to them by my eye.
This is fun. Can't wait for fruit to get ripe and do a tasting.

[ATTACH]87684[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]87685[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]87686[/ATTACH]

The plants are the row to the right of the orange bucket

[ATTACH]87687[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]87688[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]87689[/ATTACH]

xellos99 May 23, 2019 09:58 AM

That is a good hoop house you have there

PureHarvest May 23, 2019 10:04 AM

Thanks Xellos. I'm pretty proud of it, as I built 90% of this one by myself. My wife helped me put the plastic on.
It's probably the 10th or so I've built over the years, so that helps.
It's just a giant Lego kit as far as I'm concerned.

bower May 23, 2019 11:43 AM

As always, PH you've got a beautiful setup! :yes: Those fruit are looking nice, too! :)

KarenO May 24, 2019 12:27 AM

Gorgeous plants, super healthy.good luck with your project, it is a lot of fun is t it :)
KarenO

PureHarvest June 3, 2019 07:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Getting so close to first taste...

[ATTACH]87890[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]87891[/ATTACH]