Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Short and sweet 2020 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50184)

KarenO May 8, 2020 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Short and sweets front right. Shows the contrast between some indeterminate plants and some regular larger dwarfs on the left front. They were all planted the same day except the six big ones in the back wall
Planting time this week ahead.
KarenO

NicolasGarcia May 9, 2020 02:13 AM

Wow! Awesome. Thanks for the photos Karen

KarenO May 13, 2020 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Transplant day

KarenO May 16, 2020 03:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Planted up the Short and sweets. The little guys will live in the greenhouse, the larger dwarfs out in the garden or in pots
Looking forward to seeing how they do
KarenO

NicolasGarcia May 16, 2020 01:13 PM

Karen beautiful photos, I love to see your photos

Shrinkrap May 16, 2020 05:25 PM

I love dwarf seedlings! I'm guessing short and sweet is something I should follow.

KarenO May 16, 2020 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=Shrinkrap;756045]I love dwarf seedlings! I'm guessing short and sweet is something I should follow.[/QUOTE]

well they will be short, and sweet I hope you will follow :)
They will be different than what’s generally available if I have my way
Thank you for the interest Nico also!
KarenO

tryno12 May 17, 2020 01:00 AM

Beautiful plants! Are some of the short and sweet's similar to like Vilma and Venus?:?!?:
Pete

KarenO May 18, 2020 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=tryno12;756053]Beautiful plants! Are some of the short and sweet's similar to like Vilma and Venus?:?!?:
Pete[/QUOTE]

Well I’m really not trying to achieve something similar to what’s already available there would not be much fun in that. Breeding micro to micro is the easy way to get a micro of course which mostly explains why so many are very similar, to point of indistinguishable in many cases. So many mainly identical red or yellow cherries already.
The main goal of this project originally was to see what could be done about adding some flavour to the equation and to do that it needed to come from somewhere else besides a fairly nondescript flavoured micro and so I crossed several standard micros, (Venus was one I used)the best ones I’ve tried with full size indeterminate beefsteaks that I really love the flavour of.
The very wide cross resulted in some small dwarfs selected out of a very big F2 grow-out with the help of my good friend Teresa S in North Carolina.
We have several micros including a green cherry and green striped saladette size on a micro plant which Are flavourful and pretty unique. The project has also expanded beyond micro to other small indeterminate dwarfs that had great flavour. Now at F4 and F5 the challenge is to finish stabilizing them maintaining the big tomato taste in the small package.
I think they are interesting and quite different and that is my goal.

tryno12 May 18, 2020 06:58 PM

new topic help

I apologize but: this isn't the right place but: How do i post a new topic??? i am thick :dizzy:and can't figure it out???

Sorry for the question but i'm lost and don't remember how to post..........:dizzy::dizzy:

KarenO May 18, 2020 10:33 PM

Go to the main page, select which sub forum ie general discussion, crosstalk etc that your thread pertains to and then you will see new topic upper left. Click on that and write your post.
KarenO

Andrey_BY May 19, 2020 06:04 AM

Great healthy seedlings, Karen! And I especially like your pots (red are looking very nice indeed). We have no such things here unfortunately.

KarenO May 19, 2020 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=Andrey_BY;756100]Great healthy seedlings, Karen! And I especially like your pots (red are looking very nice indeed). We have no such things here unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Andrey! The pots are just some inexpensive buckets from what we call the “ dollar store” ( lots of cheap housewares etc)
Holes drilled for drainage they are about 2 gallons which is a good size for the smallest dwarfs in my project
KarenO

Andrey_BY May 20, 2020 07:18 AM

We also have dollar stores here, but without such buckets.
Maybe our gardeners just not using pots/buckets much. But it is certainly ideal for dwarfs.

KarenO May 23, 2020 04:26 PM

Posted a short video of some of the plants today on my northern gardener page if interested
[url]https://m.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/[/url]

KarenO