Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Cucumbers, What are you growing (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4450)

Rena March 21, 2007 07:18 PM

I put a birdhouse right close to the cukes and had cukes all summer long..............I think those birds took care of them.

celestina March 21, 2007 08:15 PM

Has anyone grown Persian cucumbers? If so, can you point me to a seed source?

duajones March 21, 2007 10:33 PM

[quote=IMISSCOLO;51028]I put a birdhouse right close to the cukes and had cukes all summer long..............I think those birds took care of them.[/quote]

I guess I missed it, what did the birds take care of?

feldon30 March 21, 2007 10:48 PM

Cucumber beetles? Just a guess. I know zilch about growing cucumbers.

Rena March 22, 2007 06:05 AM

:D :D yep the bugs!!;)

Adenn1 March 22, 2007 06:21 AM

Lisa:

Don't worry...I will report on how County Fair...fairs in my garden. Last year was the first time I was wiped out by bacterial wilt via CB's. I did not know much about them until I did some research after the plants died. I do remember seeing one of those pests...did not think much about it at the time. I thought it was probably like a lady bug and would do no harm...boy was I wrong.:(

I think I will try the method Feldon brought up about using a cup with cucumber peel and some Sevin. I don't have the dust...but I suspect that liquid mixed in would do the same.

I was in my seed box last night and completely forgot I had ordered some Chinese Yellow cucumber seeds from Baker Creek this past fall...so I have to find room to toss a few of these in as well.

Tomstrees March 22, 2007 03:29 PM

Mike,

If you can keep us posted about that new variety you're growing would be great ... Always looking for good cukes & zukes !!!

~ Tom

rubylune March 22, 2007 04:02 PM

[quote=feldon30;50699]Have you tried buying some yellow plastic cups and mashing up some cucumber peels (especially at the blossom end) with some Sevin dust?

That was a remedy that was posited over at GW. I don't know what results there were.
[/quote]

Pardon my slowness, but then what do you do with it? Just leave the cup in the garden?

The past two years i've ended up with 0 cucs after starting with 15 plants. It's a serious battle with the cucumber beetles no matter how much i spray/kill/wash off. One of the downsides with gardening in a community garden - your neighbors problem is also your problem.

I'll try the County Fair variety.

feldon30 March 22, 2007 05:21 PM

Yes, you leave it in the garden as a trap. The beetles will hopefully find it first, go for a swim, and die.

One thing to try is to seed cucumbers every 2 weeks in different parts of the bed to stagger your crop.

duajones March 22, 2007 06:03 PM

As I already mentioned, I dont think I have ever seen a cuke beetle. Have you had any problems with them in Houston Feldon?

feldon30 March 25, 2007 09:02 PM

Last year, my cukes got wiped out, but I believe that was from fungus from 7 days of rain. So I won't find out until this year if I have a problem.

duajones March 25, 2007 10:47 PM

I hand pollinated my first female PK bloom this morning. If it worked, it wont be long till I have my first cuke of the season.

FlipTX March 27, 2007 07:22 PM

I'm growing Cool Breeze and Poona Kheera. My first time for PK. Last year I grew Cool Breeze and got some nice fruit, but not I planted them too late and the blossoms dropped off in the extreme heat.

bugsy March 27, 2007 11:32 PM

My family loves cucumbers. This year, I'm growing generic Japanese cucumbers, a Korean variety called "Black Pearl", Amira, Sweet Slice, Piccolo di Parigi, and possibly Chelsea Prize from an old Renees Garden packet.

I really wish I could grow the persian cucumbers that are all the rage nowadays. I've grown just about all the beit alpha hybrids sold for the home gardener and amira was the closest I could get to the cucumbers at the store but now that monsanto has bought seminis out I refuse to replenish my supply. And no, that Armenian snake "cuke" is nothing like what my family wants.

Supposedly redwood city has persian cucumber seeds but the pic didn't look anything like them. I can't understand why it's so difficult to get seed for persian cucumbers that sell for 99 a pound at the persian store. I know other people have been looking for persian cucumber seed as well.

--correction 49 cents a pound currently at the persian store

feldon30 March 27, 2007 11:48 PM

Save seed from the ones at the Persian store?

celestina March 27, 2007 11:57 PM

I'm looking for Persian cuke seeds too--no Persian store in my northern NM town.:(

bugsy March 28, 2007 12:40 AM

feldon, I'm not sure if you're joking or not so I'll answer your question just in case, also in case others were curious. The cucumbers you buy at the store will never have viable seed. Why? What you get at the store are immature fruit. You wouldn't want them to have viable seed because cucumbers are really gross when ripe, as in big, bloated and full of nasty seeds in the middle. Cukes are in the same family as melons and pumpkins so that is basically what they look like when they're ripe.

In fact, most people like the really immature ones because they are generally seedless (without even little immature bendy white seeds) and you just get pure, seedless, crunchy goodness.

So...yes I would need access to a ripe cucumber. What can I do. I have no idea at this point. I have tried to look around at overseas purveyors and haven't really seen anything. I have googled and googled. Perhaps someone else with better skillz will be able to find a source. I would be so happy because then my family will get off my back.

--I forgot that Diva was also pretty close to the persian cuke ideal but not an exact match. If all else fails maybe I'll buy some more Diva seeds.

mdvpc March 28, 2007 08:38 AM

Bugsy-I grew Diva last year and it was great. I am not sure what you are talking about re Persian cukes. How are they different? I have little experience with growing cukes-we grew Diva and Poona Kheera last year and liked them both.

bugsy March 28, 2007 12:58 PM

Oh I like Diva, like it a lot. But it doesn't matter what I think. My family thinks it's okay but they don't clamor for it. The persian cucumbers are smaller, crispier (when you can get it fresh at the market and I live in an area where that's doable) and great for all kinds of things like pickes, kimchi, etc. They're also a very nice even baton shape that makes it easy to cut even slices. They do like the Japanese and Korean cucumbers almost as much as the persian ones so I am okay for now. *sigh*

mathfed March 28, 2007 01:24 PM

I grew Diva the last two summers and really liked it both times. The wife and kids liked it, too. Last summer, I made pickle slices with them. They were pretty good, but not as crisp as I like. This summer, I'm growing Burpee pickler, County Fair, and Lemon. I plan to eat fresh and pickle all three kinds. It should be a fun experiment. I made three 4 foot by 5 foot trellises out of remesh, one trellis for each variety of cuke. If one variety start to die, I'll start a new plant of that variety on the other side of the trellis. I plan to just have one plant per trellis producing at a time.

I love cucumbers. The foliage is really pretty when the vines are long, full of blooms, and hanging vertically on a trellis or cage. The fruit is pretty good, too. :)

shelleybean March 28, 2007 04:45 PM

I've grown Diva twice and I grew a similar variety from Seeds of Change called Mideast Prolific and it was very good. Another one of those burpless type with the same thin skin, shape and size is supposed to be Muncher and it's one of the three I'm trying this summer. We'll see how it compares.

duajones March 28, 2007 05:13 PM

This is my second time growing diva, tried it last fall but it went in pretty late. They seem to take quite awhile to start blooming as compared to the other varieties I have grown.

shelleybean March 28, 2007 07:07 PM

Yes, they do start blooming late. Parthenocarpic varieties like Diva set fruit without pollination but fruit set is triggered by day length. I found that their total season was much shorter than the plain old varieties with both male and female flowers. I have a decent number of bumble bees so I went back to those.

duajones March 31, 2007 08:12 PM

First PK getting close, cant wait to eat this one.

[IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e374/duajones/pk033107.jpg[/IMG]

feldon30 March 31, 2007 11:24 PM

Lucky dog. ;) I'm at least a month behind you.

mresseguie April 1, 2007 03:20 AM

I'm impressed by all the cuke talk. [I love cukes!] I saw my first Persian cukes two days ago in a Seattle market called Ranch 99. I searched the pile for a decent cuke, but left it empty handed. They were a week past what I think of as edible. That was difficult as I really want to try one.

Someday.....

[I][COLOR=red]I have a question for you all. [/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=red][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=red]Have you ever grown a Hmong cuke with red skin? The flesh is a pale pink to white color. It's supposed to have a mild flavor.[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=black]I look forward to any feedback.[/COLOR]

Michael

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blatanna April 1, 2007 12:22 PM

Am growing Marketmore this year. Its an outdoor cuc but i have grown it under glass as well and it does just fine. About 10 inches long with a cool fresh taste.

nctomatoman April 1, 2007 05:12 PM

Diva for me - don't need all that many, and I like the flavor very much.

Ruth_10 April 1, 2007 09:10 PM

We grow the variety 'Homemade Pickles' every year for both fresh eating and pickles. Last summer I grew Mexican Sour Gherkin as well. It is a teeny tiny fruit--for me, falls in the novelty category. Will have to try 'Diva'--sounds like a good one.

obispo45 April 2, 2007 04:10 AM

Think I'm growing 4 varieties most likely. HUGE HUGE fan of Poona Kheera, it'll be my third year growing it. Far and away my tastiest and most productive cuke each year I've grown it. Also growing White Wonder and Armenian...realize its in the melon family but it looks like(sort of) and tastes like a cucumber. Need to get a pickling variety too, to keep my better half happy:mrgreen:. Thats her deal, don't get me wrong I love pickles homemade or otherwise but I prefer the slicers for growing and munching.