Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   2018 Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47846)

killab March 19, 2019 04:13 AM

Got the package today,what an awesome variety of beans!!!

thanks again

roper2008 March 21, 2019 08:23 AM

How do you get into the bean part of this for next year. Do you have to donate beans?

Tormato March 23, 2019 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=roper2008;730113]How do you get into the bean part of this for next year. Do you have to donate beans?[/QUOTE]

Not necessary with beans, but donations (grow outs of received seed )are needed to keep a good swap supply. Tomato seeds are much easier to save in quantity.

Is there anything in particular, type or specific variety, that you're looking for?

BettyC-5 March 26, 2019 03:14 PM

I received the package of bean seeds last week.
:) Thank you:)

roper2008 April 24, 2019 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Tormato;730327]Not necessary with beans, but donations (grow outs of received seed )are needed to keep a good swap supply. Tomato seeds are much easier to save in quantity.

Is there anything in particular, type or specific variety, that you're looking for?[/QUOTE]

No, next year I would like to try a few varieties. Sometimes I have problems saving seeds for bean . When the pods get completely dry, the seeds look moldy, small and
a little pitted. I will see how my rattlesnake beans come out when I save those seeds this summer. I’m sure you don’t need rattlesnake though. I am also going to be growing a winged bean, hopefully I can save seeds to that one.

Tormato April 24, 2019 04:36 PM

If you save up dry seed for eating, please find out about mold on beans. It's toxic.

I trialed winged beans once. Plants produced nothing. There are supposedly two types being sold, each having much different daylight requirements to produce pods. I don't know if I received the correct one for my climate. Also, the instructions I received for mine said not to use ANY nitrogen, or I'd get all leaves and no pods. So, no nitrogen, the plants were not robust, and again no pods. I wish you luck with yours plants.

roper2008 April 28, 2019 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=Tormato;733591]If you save up dry seed for eating, please find out about mold on beans. It's toxic.

I trialed winged beans once. Plants produced nothing. There are supposedly two types being sold, each having much different daylight requirements to produce pods. I don't know if I received the correct one for my climate. Also, the instructions I received for mine said not to use ANY nitrogen, or I'd get all leaves and no pods. So, no nitrogen, the plants were not robust, and again no pods. I wish you luck with yours plants.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips.