Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Very early determinante tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39160)

Rajun Gardener December 17, 2017 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;674952]It is 49 days after planting outside, so about 42+49=91 days from germination. Still very early, if true.

Nan[/QUOTE]

That sounds reasonable, now I need to order some seeds and see how they do here. Maybe a few in the GH once they get here.

JoParrott December 17, 2017 12:27 PM

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I will keep records and update everyone as to my experience with Goliath Giant Early Bush--[/SIZE][/FONT]

MrBig46 December 17, 2017 04:52 PM

Great! It will be of benefit to all of us.
Vladimír

JoParrott December 17, 2017 05:17 PM

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I think I will start a couple of seeds today just to see what happens--the gloomy weather has me very bored!;)[/SIZE][/FONT]

JoParrott December 17, 2017 06:16 PM

Scored a deal!

1 Attachment(s)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I found this at Home Depot today- 16qts.Sunshine Natural Organic Prof. Potting Mix--originally $6.49--on sale at $3.00- I got 2 and going back for more--it is very fluffy and moist- like gold! Feels perfect for starting all my seeds inside. Have to love a good sale![/SIZE][/FONT]

JoParrott December 22, 2017 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]These are my Goliath Giant Early Bush tomatoes from Seeds n Such--Five days and both seeds have broken through-- I am excited to see what they do this early. [/FONT][/SIZE]

Greatgardens December 23, 2017 01:11 AM

Glad you are trying that one -- I was seriously considering growing one to see what it would do. Hard to imagine a tomato that large being so early, but we'll see.
GG

RJGlew December 24, 2017 03:38 AM

[QUOTE=JoParrott;674955][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Aren't the days-to-ripe always figured on planting out time?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I have also read that DTM calculations are based on plant out dates, with the suggestion that seeds should be sown 6 to 8 weeks before that date. I agree with others that 49 DTM seems unusually fast for the size of the fruit on Goliath Giant Early Bush... We heard similar stories regarding Rozovyi Myod (aka Pink Honey) when it was first introduced, which in my experience were not met. Please do report back on your experiences with GGEB since I am always looking for fast finishers to try here in Zone 3a.

MrBig46 January 4, 2018 02:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Vladimír

Andrey_BY January 7, 2018 05:23 AM

Good luck, Vladimir!
Mongolskiy Karlik is a real hit, very early, short and unusual in climbing growing habit!

MrBig46 January 7, 2018 08:48 AM

So far I like it.
Vladimír

MrBig46 January 21, 2018 04:41 PM

Do you have any experience with the Polish variety of tomato Betalux? Perhaps it should be partially partenocarpic
Vladimír

MrBig46 January 26, 2018 02:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
All the seedlings of my determinant tomatoes now have four to five true leaves. Today, two more interesting Polish varieties, Betalux and Poranok.
Vladimír
PORANOK
Early variety, dwarf color, floppy stem, very fertile. Very weakly infected with the plague of a potato. Tolerant for low temperatures. It can be sown straight into the field. Fruit spherical, without heels, well stained, do not break. Useful for processing and for direct consumption.
BETALUX
Pomidor Betalux is a ground variety with a parthenocarpic feature. This means that this plant is able to produce fruit without the need for fertilization, which turns out to be very important in Polish climate conditions, when the temperature during flowering and tomato formation falls below 13 ° C at night. Generally, it is a variety that does not cause problems and gives off a lot of really tasty sweet-sour fruit.

dorota January 26, 2018 03:15 PM

Vladimir, interesting to see Polish seeds. :)
Betalux is an improved version of Beta. I will have Beta this year. Betalux needs extra magnesium fertilising. It tastes better and you don't see the magnesium deficiency on the leaves.

Poranek (Morning) is very tasty and a good producer.. I think that Poranek prefers cooler climate. When the summer is very hot you pick last fruits before the end of August.

MrBig46 January 26, 2018 06:02 PM

With me neither Betalux nor Poranek will have much heat. Mainly in March, April and May.
Vladimír