Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Triple Variety Tomato Graft Experiment (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29665)

Delerium April 18, 2014 04:28 PM

Ginny i have about 44 Grafted plants right now (I had over 72 plants grafted / half of them i gave away to neighbors and friends). Right now i have just over 80 varieties growing (my goal was to grow all 140+ varieties i have in my seed book). That was a bit to ambitious but :) none the less feel like i accomplished my goal. I figure out of those 80 varieties i planted i will be able to narrow down my favorites (and replicate productive combinations).

Delerium April 21, 2014 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tomato Update - 4-21-14. Lots of Flowers. Temps are still looking good for the next 2 weeks for tomato set.

Delerium April 25, 2014 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oysters are back on a rainy day.

RootLoops April 25, 2014 01:54 PM

nice surprise!

Delerium April 25, 2014 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=RootLoops;407192]nice surprise![/QUOTE]

Hey RL! Will we continue to get Oysters in this raised bed from time to time or will it get to a point where it no longer will produce? Or once spores are dropped will the Oysters continue to expand its foot print? I kinda like these random surprises. This is the 4th time we have had Oysters show up in this location and i noticed there is more Oyster pins further out from where this original patch started.

RootLoops April 25, 2014 04:07 PM

the colony will radiate outward and possibly flush randomly across the whole bed at some point as long as conditions are favorable. do you replace the dirt in the bed every season? the spores could colonize some of it but would likely take a season to see the fruit from those. check out a book called mycelium running by stamets, it's another one of those that i should have read by now. soon i should be able to get some of these books and learn more about the basics and parameters

Delerium April 26, 2014 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rootloops, no we don't really replace the soil i just amend the beds like Bokashi composting without all the buckets and activators. We are starting to harvest a few onions here and there. This is today's onion harvest.

RootLoops April 26, 2014 06:46 PM

wow! i hope my onions turn out like that!

Vespertino April 26, 2014 09:11 PM

That's nice to have a surprise like that, mushrooms popping up all volunteering themselves to be cooked along with enormous onions :) That's a great picture!

I have to see if I can get my hands on puffball spores for next year, I used to pick them out of the backyard and they were so delicious with scrambled eggs. Mycelium Running is a book that's been my my reading list for a while too, just been too busy to read for pleasure as of late.

Delerium April 28, 2014 11:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Rootloops - This is probably our first time we have had some decent sized onions. Going to grow these again.

Vespertino - Yeah its always exciting to see mushrooms showing up randomly in raised beds. I've been adding more and more mycelium to my beds & macrobins. I want edible mushrooms growing randomly in all my raised beds like a seasonal crop.

Here some grafting updates.

Pic 1 - 2 varieties of cherries from a 3 variety plant.
Pic 2 - Sweet Gold / Prudens Purple on the same plant.
Pic 3 - Amazon Chocolate (Love how this plant just sets tomatoes like crazy). It's grafted to Brandyboy Rootstock and I should be seeing the first set of Brandyboys from the same plant soon.
Pic 4 - Cowlicks Brandywine Tomatoes grafted on to Earl Faux Rootstock.
Pic 5 - Cuostralee Tomatoes on Earl Faux Rootstock.

JamesL April 29, 2014 12:07 AM

Looking great D!!!!:)
Do you have a really detailed map of your garden? How can you possibly keep track with everything you have going on?

b54red April 29, 2014 12:02 PM

What type onion are those? They look like a Vidalia type.

Bill

Delerium April 29, 2014 01:22 PM

JamesL - No nothing to detailed. I just have a spreadsheet & a journal i keep my gardening notes. And the Photo Journal here helps.

Bill - Onions in the picture are Yellow Sweet Granex. I think the Granex Hybrid has Vidalia as a parent.

Fiishergurl April 29, 2014 01:42 PM

Love those grafted plants!! So cool for us that are space deprived.

Ginny

Delerium April 29, 2014 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Ginny! Saw your thread with those Loaded cherries and other tomatoes. How is your triple play cherry plant coming along? Post some pictures to keep us updated. We harvested some Worm Castings today to feed the tomato plants in the garden. Any of the extra worms we find in the finished castings gets dumped in to the compost bins outside. That's Jiana sifting through the worm castings looking for worms hehe.