Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   We Need More Tomato Plant Pictures (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35831)

JRinPA June 29, 2021 01:51 PM

Glad you are up and running here now, better late than never.

OneStepAhead June 30, 2021 06:47 AM

[QUOTE=paradajky;764787]My first dwarf project tomato is nearly ready, Saucy Mary. I was not expecting the plant to be 7-8 inches tall, with only three tomatoes set on it so far, still better than what I'm dealing with in the ground and bucket containers![/QUOTE]

I grew those last year as well as my friend who I gave plants to. It grew to about 18" and produced about 20-30 tomatoes on each. This was in 3-5G grow bags. I enjoyed the variety, but probably won't grow it again. It is a determinate too if i recall, it didn't keep fruiting all season.

paradajky June 30, 2021 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=OneStepAhead;764799]I grew those last year as well as my friend who I gave plants to. It grew to about 18" and produced about 20-30 tomatoes on each. This was in 3-5G grow bags. I enjoyed the variety, but probably won't grow it again. It is a determinate too if i recall, it didn't keep fruiting all season.[/QUOTE]
Wow! Mine's in a 15 gallon bag. Looks silly :dizzy: I guess after this whopping harvest of three fruits, if there are no more flowers I should pull the plant and use the bag for something else.

Shrinkrap June 30, 2021 01:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some of this year's Dwarf Project Tomatoes in Earthboxes.

Shrinkrap June 30, 2021 02:16 PM

Duplicate

aclum June 30, 2021 07:49 PM

Looking good, Shrinkwrap! :) Mine are at about the same stage as yours, down here in Merced with (I think) a very similar climate. So far so good.....

Anne

Shrinkrap July 1, 2021 12:07 AM

Best wishes!

OneStepAhead July 5, 2021 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=paradajky;764803]Wow! Mine's in a 15 gallon bag. Looks silly :dizzy: I guess after this whopping harvest of three fruits, if there are no more flowers I should pull the plant and use the bag for something else.[/QUOTE]

You could grow dwarfs in 15G but I think 3 plants in a pot with a stake/trellis of some sort in the middle would be ideal. Some dwarfs grow 4-5' but Saucy Mary for me and my friend who grew it never broke 2'. I loved the idea of making a green tomato sauce with Saucy Mary, but with 2 plants I still didn't have enough to make a sauce unless I saved and freezed them. Which is what I did, but alas I forgot about them in the deep freezer. Now they are a year old.

I think I'll use this seasons Cherokee Green for making a sauce instead. I've been wanting to do a red tomato sauce, green tomato sauce, and maybe an Alfredo to make a color array.

OneStepAhead July 5, 2021 08:19 AM

[QUOTE=Shrinkrap;764808]Here are some of this year's Dwarf Project Tomatoes in Earthboxes.[/QUOTE]

How is the flavor when using a earthbox? Just wondering if it's similar to hydro which to me taste a bit watery compared to tomatoes grown in dirt, especially when water is withheld during fruiting.

I wonder how earthbox compares to a straw bale. Seems like it could be similar. I'm
Using bales this year but only for my peppers as a trial.

Shrinkrap July 6, 2021 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=OneStepAhead;764890]How is the flavor when using a earthbox? Just wondering if it's similar to hydro which to me taste a bit watery compared to tomatoes grown in dirt, especially when water is withheld during fruiting.

I wonder how earthbox compares to a straw bale. Seems like it could be similar. I'm
Using bales this year but only for my peppers as a trial.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been able to grow in soil for years, so it would be hard me to compare.

We get lots of days over 90, even 100, and it's quite dry with virtually no rain for months. I have some fruit trees and vines in the ground, and try to convince myself withholding water is a good thing.

Koala Doug July 17, 2021 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[B][SIZE=5][FONT=Garamond]My first few Black Cherry fruit have ripened (a little over 50 days from transplant). Thankfully, they are better tasting than the first time I grew them! :)[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

OneStepAhead July 20, 2021 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=Koala Doug;765154][B][SIZE=5][FONT=Garamond]My first few Black Cherry fruit have ripened (a little over 50 days from transplant). Thankfully, they are better tasting than the first time I grew them! :)[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

Wow, that is early. I grew them last year, quite prolific and a good bit of acid bite to it; I like that. That said, I didn't grow them again this year. I only grow about 5-6 cherry tomato plants as I don't use them often compared to slicers or saucers.

Koala Doug July 26, 2021 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[B][SIZE=5][FONT=Garamond]Here is this morning's harvest... a fully ripe Dester at the top (64 days since transplant!), a slightly under-ripe Summer Sweet Gold to the right (that'll likely be 65 days as it isn't quite ready today), some more Black Cherry at the bottom, and a not-quite-ripe-yet Dwarf Firebird Sweet to the left (that should also be 65 days come tomorrow).
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

biscuitridge August 15, 2021 02:06 PM

My 9.44 lb. Domingo x orange strawberry

2 Attachment(s)
And also a Rainbow jazz heart.

Koala Doug August 16, 2021 01:16 PM

[B][SIZE=5][FONT=Garamond]Very nice![/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

JRinPA August 16, 2021 01:40 PM

Biscuitridge do you have a pic of that intact? That is huge. Did you build a structure for it to grow on?

biscuitridge August 16, 2021 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=JRinPA;765541]Biscuitridge do you have a pic of that intact? That is huge. Did you build a structure for it to grow on?[/QUOTE]

Yes I do. A tomato that size really doesn't need any support,not until they get to be 5 or 6 pounds do they need a support ,my 10.8 lber. Didn't get supported until it was about 8lbs.