Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Soilbuilding 101™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Would truckloads of Seaweed help out? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41773)

dustdevil June 25, 2016 07:10 PM

In rocky areas of Ireland, seaweed was used to make the first soil.

The Potomac was once a highly polluted river. How effective was the cleanup?

MrSalvage June 25, 2016 07:40 PM

[QUOTE=dustdevil;572287]In rocky areas of Ireland, seaweed was used to make the first soil.

The Potomac was once a highly polluted river. How effective was the cleanup?[/QUOTE]

The consensus is all over the place on the river. The upper river (fresh) has exploded with small mouth bass. However some of the males are producing eggs. My lord....

I am down closer to the mouth of the river (salt) where it dumps into the bay. We still do a lot of crabbing and fishing. The rockfish are spectacular when you catch them as long as your leg. It's not uncommon for 8ft to 10ft bull sharks to be caught close to the mouth feeding. They always seem to be catching the sharks close to cornfield harbor...

I never go swimming in the bay or the rivers for that very reason.

I haven't done a lot of blue fishing like i did when i was kid. You still see schools of alewive's in the bay with the blue's feeding underneath them. Same deal out off Ocean City Md. The only difference is the tuna are feeding under the blues.

dustdevil June 27, 2016 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=MrSalvage;572292]The consensus is all over the place on the river. The upper river (fresh) has exploded with small mouth bass. However some of the males are producing eggs. My lord....

I am down closer to the mouth of the river (salt) where it dumps into the bay. We still do a lot of crabbing and fishing. The rockfish are spectacular when you catch them as long as your leg. It's not uncommon for 8ft to 10ft bull sharks to be caught close to the mouth feeding. They always seem to be catching the sharks close to cornfield harbor...

I never go swimming in the bay or the rivers for that very reason.

I haven't done a lot of blue fishing like i did when i was kid. You still see schools of alewive's in the bay with the blue's feeding underneath them. Same deal out off Ocean City Md. The only difference is the tuna are feeding under the blues.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the nice reply. I never get tired hearing about fishing:)

Gerardo July 14, 2016 08:00 PM

Variety of seaweeds, pics from this afternoon.

6 Attachment(s)
San Antonio del Mar, Baja California.

Typical seaweeds. I do not collect from this beach, too much pollution, good for illustrating diversity of species. Lots of lettuce:

[ATTACH]63816[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63817[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63818[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63819[/ATTACH]

Flower Power.

[ATTACH]63820[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]63821[/ATTACH]

bower July 14, 2016 09:27 PM

Great pix Gerardo. :D Beautiful.
I would guess that you have all of the seaweed species we have plus a bunch more.
If I get a chance, I'll look for my seaweed pics on the old cpu and post them.

It took a little while for me to recognize "sand" as the background. So white!