Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Starter Mix for Peppers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46636)

sewwhat March 2, 2018 12:45 PM

Walmart has a basic grow pad which only heats to 75 but doesn't shut off. I have heard you can use Christmas lights in the bottom of a baking dish for heat. Haven't tried it.

Black Krim March 14, 2018 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=Black Krim;682679]FOUND MY NOTE. Do not use peat to start peppers.

Started 12 varieties in baggies with damp paper towel. Fingers crossed.[/QUOTE]

Update. All the seeds rotted.

replanted in 2in pots, poor to no germination, peat based with perlite :(

replanted again and kept warm--- a few coming up:?!?:

replanted using old compost junk , heated to sterilize, added perlite---they are growing!! :yes:

oakley March 15, 2018 09:24 AM

I'm having to start over but do have plenty of time me thinks. No clue what the heck
happened, but now reading this again...I used peat based sterile. Last year I used coir
and had gorgeous starts and great germination.

I did pot some up last weekend for kicks. The rest of the tray is sequestered. On lock down.
May be something in the soil. Big grrr if it is fungus gnats.

oakley March 15, 2018 09:35 AM

Come to think of it, since last season I jumped back into the pepper game, after
giving up years ago...I actually did a good study of it. Planted early and in coir on
purpose. Cautious.
Last month I obviously winged it without much thought. (dumb) I think this mix holds
too much water and way too long before drying out. Not over-watered, just holds it
more than peppers like. Only about 30% germination.

Thank you all and BKrim. This next tray should solve it using coir.

Black Krim March 15, 2018 09:57 PM

Good luck with the next tray!

My "soil" holds water more than it should. Even with a good amount of perlite added, the overall effect was nil. Just hold too much water--too long between watering.

Will hunt down coir to help with the structure.

Gardeneer March 15, 2018 11:27 PM

For starting and potting I use the same stuff as for tomatoes.
The seed germination problem with peppers has nothing to do with the starter mix.JMO

MuddyBuckets April 8, 2019 10:04 PM

Seed Starting Media

This year (2019) I used ProMix BX exclusively, slightly dampened and on a heat mat until germination. Success rate for tomatoes, peppers, and okra ~80%, cucumbers, melons and squash was 100%. Media was sifted fine, dampened and seeds lightly covered, then misted. Once germinated they came off the heating mat and put under full spectrum LED lights about 2" above seedlings. Once the seedlings had one set of real leaves a minimal mixture of [B]General Hydroponics "Maxi Bloom" 5-15-14 [/B]water soluble ferts was added 2X a week. So far so good. Plants are thriving after being potted up 2x with this fert schedule and are ready to go into containers or in the beds this week.