Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Dotson's 2018 Garden in Spartanburg, SC (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46884)

KarenO May 6, 2018 10:50 PM

They are both pretty early. But neither like roundup!
Oh that stuff
KO

Spartanburg123 May 10, 2018 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to grow Stick again this year, but I couldn't get enough germination to get a curl-type leaf modification. Well, my friend DDSack sent me these three seedlings via the mail, along with seed, and they made it here just fine! They are loving their little fiber cups until I plant them in the ground. I am going to triangulate them around an 8ft stake and braid them as they climb, it should be a great conversation piece for the photo gallery! Thanks Dee!!!

Nan_PA_6b May 10, 2018 05:12 PM

[QUOTE=Spartanburg123;699367]I wanted to grow Stick again this year, but I couldn't get enough germination to get a curl-type leaf modification...[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? You have Stick seeds that don't show stick leaf curl?

Braided might be pretty & artistic. I'm interested in seeing them.

Nan

KarenO May 10, 2018 05:15 PM

That’s a fun idea. How tall do they get?
KarenO

Spartanburg123 May 10, 2018 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;699384]What do you mean? You have Stick seeds that don't show stick leaf curl?

Braided might be pretty & artistic. I'm interested in seeing them.

Nan[/QUOTE]

Nan- according to Dee, 2 or 3 out of 10 seeds will give a RL plant, which is definitely not interesting if grown out. In my case, I planted 3, and all 3 were RL, so I guess I just got unlucky. These are neat little plants that can get 8 feet or more in length. They can be fastened to a trellis or to a stake quite easily, as their lateral width is only a few inches at most.

hl2601 May 10, 2018 09:31 PM

That is so cool!

Please keep posting pics! I have never really seen a stick.

Your lovely flower pots will certainly compliment all.
Happy gardening!

Spartanburg123 May 10, 2018 09:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
hl2601- here's a few pics from last year. These tomatoes are about the size of a golf ball, and actually taste quite good- very tangy. Mine topped out at about 7 feet or so.

taboule May 10, 2018 10:14 PM

Darin,

Just discovered this thread. Looking very nice, everything, and you ooze happiness.

ddsack May 11, 2018 12:16 AM

Darin, I'm just glad the plants made it there in good shape. Looking forward to seeing how your braid pattern works! Your last year's plant was the tallest Stick I've ever seen! They must like it at your house.:cute:

Greatgardens May 11, 2018 05:36 AM

"A few more pics, along with my helper Sarge..."
Yorkie?
-GG

Spartanburg123 May 11, 2018 09:02 AM

[QUOTE=Greatgardens;699459]"A few more pics, along with my helper Sarge..."
Yorkie?
-GG[/QUOTE]

Yes! Sarge is 4 yrs old, and we just got a Yorkie puppy named Jack, 6 months. Great dogs!!

jillian May 11, 2018 06:50 PM

Sarge is a cutie, he and Jack will have lots of fun together!

Spartanburg123 May 19, 2018 09:01 PM

6 Attachment(s)
A few pics from today, 5-19-18. I still have 8 unknown varieties due to a mix up- 3 PL and 5 RL varieties. The PL possibilities are Daniel Burson, Rebel Yell, and Lucky Cross. The RL choices are DLH, GGWT, Bear Creek, Terhune (AKMark 5.42), and Not Purple Strawberry (NPS). I have good fruit set on several of these. Finally got 3 Stick plants (curly leaf) in the ground, surrounding an 8 ft Vigoro stake. First two pics are Karma Pink (thanks Karen and Marsha!).

taboule May 20, 2018 06:17 AM

Big healthy plants, well ahead of us northerners.

Spartanburg123 May 29, 2018 07:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Garden flourishing 5-29-18, but notice the two empty spots- had to pull Zena's Gift and an unidentified PL plant (choices are Daniel Burson, Rebel Yell, Lucky Cross), due to Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus (TSWV). Leaf pics are Karma Pink vs. Pink Brandywine (larger). Last picture is Early Girl, along with Jack and Sarge, my garden helpers :).