Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Fried Green tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27)

ScottinAtlanta January 30, 2012 06:54 AM

Your post is so good that it deserves repeating.

I didn't mean to disrespect anyone else's recipes. I know there are many ways to fry a tomato.

saltmarsh February 3, 2012 07:26 PM

Wanna Fried Tomato

2 Attachment(s)
Meet Mr. February

Peron Sprayless lightly fried in canola oil.

lakelady February 3, 2012 08:14 PM

Scott, had to laugh at that one....gotta love the simplicity of southern cooking!

puttgirl February 3, 2012 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=saltmarsh;252834]Meet Mr. February

Peron Sprayless lightly fried in canola oil.[/QUOTE]

Now I am very hungry!
:D

lakelady February 3, 2012 08:18 PM

Yup, this is making me miss even the greenies! I made fried green tomatoes back in October with what was left of the tomatoes, and over the course of 2 days I pretty much ate most of them myself. As a snack lol....

TNplants1 May 3, 2012 05:20 PM

Let me share with you a backwoods' Tennessee fried green tomato recipe:
1 bowl self rising flour
dash salt
dash pepper
green tomatoes

slice thin, wash, salt and pepper slices, dip in flour and deep fry. Delicious :)

Tammy
thhp://www.tnnursery.net

NarnianGarden July 6, 2013 02:47 PM

Hmmmm. A really stupid quoestion:
Are GWR varieties ok to use for this? Or does it defeat the whole idea...

I did read somewhere that non-ripe tomatoes have the toxic compound solanine that's also found in potatoes exposed to light... Does frying / sauteeing break it down so no one gets stomach ache?

ScottinAtlanta July 6, 2013 03:12 PM

As long as you use the tomato when it is unripe, it is fine. But you cannot make fried green tomatoes with ripe tomatoes of any color. The dish calls for firm, crispy, unripe tomatoes.

raindrops27 September 3, 2013 12:14 AM

[QUOTE=NarnianGarden;361482]Hmmmm. A really stupid quoestion:
Are GWR varieties ok to use for this? Or does it defeat the whole idea...

I did read somewhere that non-ripe tomatoes have the toxic compound solanine that's also found in potatoes exposed to light... Does frying / sauteeing break it down so no one gets stomach ache?[/QUOTE]

I see what Scott said, but I have used GWR tomatoes lightly ripe not often I prefer unripe but in a pinch I use what is on hand. I simply love oven fried green tomatoes on sandwiches or a side I will have some tomorrow come to think of it.

bigpinks June 29, 2019 10:41 AM

Fried Green Tomato

Picked a softball size Orange Slice hard and green and placed it in front window where I can watch the next few days as I water my late container plants. I wayched my fav Youtube video and am ready for some crispy green ones. One fourth flour and one cup corn meal, egg wash, salt, pepper and hot cast iron with oil. Need the sucker to show first blush. My sisters will want a few too!