Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   BLT's and Tomato Sandwiches (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=433)

Gardenfresh May 26, 2007 09:39 PM

Bread, thick layer of mayo, slice of mild onion, slice of American cheese, and the star of the sandwhich a juicy slice of homegrown mater with a sprinkle of salt.....yummy

FlipTX June 16, 2007 10:10 PM

This is how I like to use smaller tomatoes in a sandwich:

Take a cup or so of cherry tomatoes, pear tomatoes, random stunted tomatoes, etc, and chop them into about half inch pieces. Toast a handful of pecans and chop them up into smaller pieces. Mix pecans, a big spoonful of good mayo, a dash of salt, pepper, a good pinch of tarragon, and some chopped green onions and stir it gently with the chopped tomatoes.

Scoop a bunch of this "salad" onto three or four slices of toasted crusty bread and share with other people... unless you're just super hungry.

barkeater August 25, 2007 01:29 PM

I also eschew lettuce on my BLT's. I've been making my best ones this year with:

Sourdough Italian bread
Hellmans Light Mayonnaise (can't tell the difference)
Thick tomato slices
Oscars smoked bacon
Strips of hot and cubanelle peppers fried with the bacon
Fresh ground pepper
Sea salt
Light sprinkling of garlic powder on the tomato

Sometimes, instead of the peppers, I'll use very thinly sliced raw red onion.

gdionelli August 25, 2007 09:54 PM

I too like the bacon, avocado, and tomato version: BAT.

But I personally can't stand mayo, so it's pesto for me!

DeanRIowa August 27, 2007 10:02 AM

Bread(lightly Toasted)
Salad Dressing
Tomato
Lettuce
Turkey bacon
Salad Dressing
Bread(Lightly Toasted)

Sliced diagonally. Serve

Actually the turkey bacon is good and not as greasy, better for your cholesterol too.

spyfferoni August 29, 2007 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is actually with turkey, but the tomatoes are the star. I prefer Romaine or another type of lettuce, but I only had ice berg. I like some fresh ground pepper on my tomato sandwiches. I can do Miracle Whip or a good Mayo, but I prefer Mayo---just a thin layer.

MJacobs2 August 29, 2007 03:58 PM

Quick, Easy and slightly heathy?

1 Slice of Whole wheat - toasted
Thin Layer of Ruth's Lite Pimento Cheese Spread
Think slices of maters
S & P to taste

Eat it open faced for less carbs!

blatanna August 30, 2007 06:58 PM

Whole wheat bread.
Garlic butter spread,
Tomato,
Lettuce, Iceberg
Bacon,
Chedder cheese
Sliced onion.
Lots of nlack pepper and salt.

Earl August 31, 2007 07:56 PM

This is as close as you can get to God on Earth. Aunt Millie's Potato Bread slathered with Hellman's mayo and a thick slice of Earl's Faux peppered with coarse ground pepper and sea salt.

JimmyWu February 6, 2008 06:26 PM

IMHO... The best tomato sandwich in the world other than the BLT, is a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. White bread, cheese on both sides and garden grown in between.

Gobig_or_Gohome_toms February 6, 2008 07:44 PM

Miricle whip = devil :) only helmans mayo on both slices of bread with crispy hormel bacon and any ripe homegrown tomato with iceberg lettuce on split weat bread. I am droolign right now thinking of the first one in abou 4-5 months. YUMMM!!!

Worth1 February 6, 2008 10:30 PM

I like my sandwiches made from ciabatta bread sliced length ways so there is plenty of crust on both sides.

I use the McCormick Mayonnaise with lime if I can find it, if not I make my own.

The lettuce should be of the red leaf variety or romaine.

The swine from which the bacon is made shall be of the educated type with impeccable taste never eating anything from which a gourmet chief has not prepared.

The tomato should be of the utmost finest fruit from the garden without any blemishes and of such grand proportions that it should be at least 6 inches in girth.
A slice of ¾ inch shall be cut from the center most regions of the tomato and the rest discarded out the window to the starving peasants waiting in the common area below.

The plate from which the sandwich is consumed should be new from which no food has ever touched so as not to contaminate the taste.

A good porter served in a tall glass should be served and a 2 hour nap afterwards shall be taken.

Then and only then will you have a tomato sandwich.:love:

Worth

epiphanista February 7, 2008 10:38 AM

I love the stipulation of the sandwich being cut on the diagonal in someone's comments! It brings back memories of Mrs. Towle down the street, who buttered the bread for every sandwich, even if it was peanut butter and jelly...

I have to say my favorite sandwich with a tomato (though BLT is a very close second) is tomato, Kraft mayo, and braunschweiger (which is approximately liverwurst, but braunschweiger sounds more hip:)) ) on white potato bread. And it needs something crunchy on the side, like pickled hot peppers or salt&vinegar chips. And a dark beer. And a foot massage.

Aaaaah.

~Thalia

Granny February 7, 2008 10:47 AM

[quote=epiphanista;88437]I love the stipulation of the sandwich being cut on the diagonal in someone's comments! It brings back memories of Mrs. Towle down the street, who buttered the bread for every sandwich, even if it was peanut butter and jelly...

I have to say my favorite sandwich with a tomato (though BLT is a very close second) is tomato, Kraft mayo, and braunschweiger (which is approximately liverwurst, but braunschweiger sounds more hip:)) ) on white potato bread. And it needs something crunchy on the side, like pickled hot peppers or salt&vinegar chips. And a dark beer. And a foot massage.

Aaaaah.

~Thalia[/quote]

You are NOT talking about tomato sandwiches in the middle of winter - in February for heaven's sake - in the middle of a snowstorm - when we are a full 6 months from the very earliest real tomato to be had in New England! :?:

jungseed February 7, 2008 11:07 AM

Thank you Granny for the reality check. I was reading this thread and must have been in some kind of trance, when I got to your post, I looked at the calander and was very startled! Think I'll go back to dreaming.