Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2019 Tomatoes photos and review (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49472)

maxjohnson August 19, 2019 06:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
[B]Great White Blue[/B]

I only grew this single stem in a 3gallon reusable grocery bag, but from previous experiences I do know this is a prolific variety and can put out good amount of beefsteaks, sizes can be between 10 to 16oz+.

The taste is very refreshing. Meaty and juicy with lots of gel and not runny. Low amount of seeds that are small. The flavor is a fruity, pineappley, but very low acid and not sour, and can be a little sweet. A little bit of aroma too.

I think because of single stemming and a lot of water the skin cracks on this one, but generally they don't crack much. The plant leaves are naturally curly, in both Florida and Ohio climate.

[B]Rating[/B]: A very good tasting white/blue variety with good yield.

Last photo is from last year growing in 7gallon container.

NarnianGarden August 20, 2019 04:56 PM

That one is very pretty and I was eyeing it at one of the vendor sites..

maxjohnson August 20, 2019 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=NarnianGarden;744304]That one is very pretty and I was eyeing it at one of the vendor sites..[/QUOTE]
I have seeds for free giveaway right now.

NarnianGarden August 20, 2019 06:05 PM

Oh wow! I PM'ed you.
Great white blue sure is very serene looking.

bower August 20, 2019 09:52 PM

maxjohnson, thanks so much for these pics and reviews! :yes: Awesome crop and love your candid take on the flavors.

maxjohnson August 21, 2019 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Last one for the season.

[B]Opalka[/B]:

It is a slow starter and I recommend starting it 10 days before other variety. Unfortunately I can't comment on the yield because the plant was completely crowded by other plants due to slower growing rate. I do know it grows like oxheart so thinner vines and benefit from a good trellis. I've tried growing these twice in Florida and both times didn't produce due to diseases, so it's probably not ideal for down there.

The fruits are 5 to 6inches long. I'm guessing ideally they should weigh around 10oz, but mine are 6oz. Skin doesn't crack except a few blemishes from pests. Very, very little seeds.

The texture of this tomato is amazing. It looks firm with no runny juice, but melts when you chew it and all the juices are released. The flavor is very balanced and sweet. Low to no acidity. It's more of a light and fresh taste rather than complex.

I would pick these as the best tasting of the season. It's neither the sweetest or most complex, but is the most balanced for raw eating. I heard from someone this variety is deer's favorite as well.

[B]Rating[/B]: Unsure about yield, seedlings are slow to start, very good tasting

maxjohnson September 14, 2019 07:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My small corn harvest. Argent F1 (my favorite), and Martian Jewels.

maxjohnson October 19, 2019 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
mission giant yellow

tryno12 October 20, 2019 12:20 AM

giant yellow what? marigold?

Worth1 October 20, 2019 07:43 AM

[QUOTE=tryno12;748121]giant yellow what? marigold?[/QUOTE]

Yes.:)

maxjohnson November 1, 2019 09:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mega Marv grown from a cutting planted on August. Decided to harvest today due to incoming frost, so approx 90 days of growth. Planted in a 15gal growbag, which are always less than amount claimed, so ~11 gallons of actual soil.

The yield is 8 full sized fruits. Biggest one is 1lb 9oz.

(Probably would have gotten a 2 pounder, but I gave away the biggest one to a visiting contractor who ended up giving me an overpriced quote (he asked, I didn't offer, lesson learned).)

tryno12 November 3, 2019 12:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Max, do you hopes of ripening them? If so how? :?!?:

Here are mine attached photo @ 60 degrees in garage. I have a lot in the house picked from the vine: those in a paper bag @ 67 degrees ripen in a few days, those on the counter @ 67 degrees ripen slowly.

Seems like anything I do with those saved from the frost at the seasons end always rot a lot and you have to cut spots and cracks out when they finally ripen?? I guess everything you salvage is a win.

Pete

tryno12 November 3, 2019 01:12 AM

Karla that is a great looking bunch of tomatoes!!

Max, these are over a week old picked green/first blush, and ripened in a dark room(not black but some daylight near a furnace vent) a couple are AuntRGG, some were in a brown bag in same spot.c Still got the pile in the garage - if the sun comes out tomorrow I will put right outside garage door in sun ( even though only 48 degrees, wet down, and bring in when sun goes away - just a large experiment that is trying my patience!!:twisted::)):?!?:

Pete Photo on next post.... Goofed!

tryno12 November 3, 2019 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the photo I forgot last post.
Pete

maxjohnson November 3, 2019 03:49 PM

I just leave in paper bags with plantains and other fruits to ripen. In retrospect it was a good call to harvest early, all the tomato plants were dead from frost the next morning.