Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Multiflora available (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34658)

Minnesota Mato July 9, 2015 11:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
my multiflora cross is setting flowers.

bower July 10, 2015 09:37 AM

Wow!... those clusters are intense! :D

BreedersUnited July 15, 2015 10:13 PM

Excellent job!

BigVanVader July 15, 2015 10:14 PM

Which number do you have MM?

Minnesota Mato July 15, 2015 11:13 PM

number of what?

BigVanVader July 15, 2015 11:23 PM

Oh sorry I got threads confused and thought you were growing one of ChrisK's crosses. What is yours a cross of?

Minnesota Mato July 15, 2015 11:52 PM

the cross was a f3 of Carolina gold x red centiflor. I did the cross with the red centiflor because it was the biggest, strongest, healthiest plant in the garden. I am looking to breed a tomato with the tangerine gene but the centiflor has been kind of a fun side track.

AdrianaG August 7, 2015 04:18 AM

Is anybody crossing Dwarfs with Multiflora?

dfollett August 8, 2015 01:18 AM

[QUOTE=AdrianaG;497063]Is anybody crossing Dwarfs with Multiflora?[/QUOTE]

ChrisK has some fascinating lines he is working on. He has a thread in this forum - "Micro-tomato crosses" that includes information about some dwarf multiflora along with other regular micro and micro multiflora lines he is working on.

I am growing out an F1 of a dwarf crossed with a micro-multiflora of Chris' that I am helping him with. The F1 is an extremely early - less than 50 days - heavy producing dwarf plant with red 1-2 oz round fruit. Its mama was a micro multiflora with small red cherry size fruits and its papa was a dwarf that produced great tasting, large, 8-10 oz red w/green striped fruit.

I just started the first batch of F2s, which should be 3/4 dwarf - 1/4 micro and each of those groups should be 3/4 normal flora and 1/4 multiflora. What the fruit end up like is going to be the interesting and fun part.

I also attempted crosses of the same micro multiflora line with 7 other different dwarfs this summer. Time will tell whether or not the crosses were successful as I haven't collected the seed yet. Next summer could be interesting.

After posting this I noticed that you have posted in ChrisK's thread, so I didn't need to make you aware of his work.....

AdrianaG August 8, 2015 04:43 AM

Dfollett, are your dwarfs from the Dwarf Project? Can't wait to see what the next generations bring. It's like Christmas all summer long!

dfollett August 9, 2015 01:01 AM

[QUOTE=AdrianaG;497297]Dfollett, are your dwarfs from the Dwarf Project? Can't wait to see what the next generations bring. It's like Christmas all summer long![/QUOTE]

Yes they are.

ilex August 13, 2015 03:17 AM

[QUOTE=ChrisK;444931]I'd be curious to know the actual breeding history of these. I've found only cryptic mentions of it being maybe a three way with wild species. Bred by Al Kapular, I think. He appears to have a number that he calls "centiflor hypertress"[/QUOTE]

Where do European lines come from?

carolyn137 August 13, 2015 11:03 AM

I read some of the posts in this thread but not all and some mentioned Alan Kapuler whom I once knew since he listed varieties in the SSE YEabooks, so I fetched his Peace Seeds site where he describes all the hypertress varieties that he, his daughter, etc., developed'

it's a long list so scroll down until you come to tomatoes since flowers come first.

[url]http://peaceseedslive.blogspot.com/[/url]

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

ilex August 13, 2015 11:49 AM

My question comes because I know a couple such varieties from Spain, and I doubt they come from Alan's work.

maf August 13, 2015 01:22 PM

There seems to be quite a tradition of European multiflora varieties that predate Dr Kapuler's work by some time, (Blondköpfchen, Ildi, Mirabell, Riesentraube etc.) but I have no idea of their official history.