Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Share which watermelon and other melons you are growing this year (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40460)

joseph April 11, 2016 12:49 AM

I sell my produce in Cache Valley only. I generally attend the People's Market seed swap, and the Ogden Seed Exchange during the winter. Unfortunately, the People's Market Plant Sale this year conflicts with the Logan market, so I won't be able to attend the Salt Lake plant sale.

I'm expecting to start melons and watermelons in a week for the Logan market.

braybright April 11, 2016 02:15 PM

I'll have to see if I can make it up there at some point. I'm not far, north side of Davis county.

Cole_Robbie April 11, 2016 02:34 PM

I'm looking forward to Charentais, as well as Moon & Stars, both from generous seed-swappers. I think I'm going to order Ha'Ogen.

I want to find an heirloom melon I can grow and sell at market. But more so, I want to grow something I can eat for breakfast while I'm at market, sitting on the tailgate of the truck, and subjecting everyone to irresistible melon aroma. Then when customers ask to try it, I'll say "sorry, no. You can't have any...food safety rules...state says I'd kill you if I gave you a piece of my melon. I guess you have to buy one." :)

Tormato April 11, 2016 02:54 PM

My trialing of Ha'Ogen a few times... the best flavor of any melon I've tried:yes:, but little to no aroma.:(

Something like Petit Gris De Rennes would bring all those downwind of you to your table, but that melon is not very productive in my trials and in agreement from what I[I]'ve read.[/I]

Cole_Robbie April 11, 2016 02:59 PM

Interesting. I have a honey bee hive in the field. Maybe that will help productivity of some of the old heirloom varieties. I had looked at Petit Gris De Rennes, too. I will probably try it as well, thanks.

I think melons are going to be the subject of my foliar feeding and compost tea experiments. The melon patch is too large to do much soil improvement this late in the spring.

fantoma April 13, 2016 04:51 AM

[QUOTE=Tormato;550664]My trialing of Ha'Ogen a few times... the best flavor of any melon I've tried:yes:, but little to no aroma.:( [/QUOTE] I tried it last year for the first time and can relate to that sentiment8-)

Jeannine Anne April 13, 2016 02:25 PM

Could anyone suggest a melon I could try in my mini veggie garden or in my greenhouse. I had decided against growing anything that wasn't veggie but am having second thoughts . It would need to be a bush for outside or one I could grow upright for the greenhouse. I do have some of a very old variety called Hero Of Lockinge but probably a bit too rampant for my purpose this year.

I have grown them in other years but didn't have the space problem then..

Any help would be appreciated

XX Jeannine

ChristinaJo April 17, 2016 09:03 PM

I'm growing Saldana watermelon. It a the only melon I'm growing this year......and we all know that could change.lol

dirtdobber April 20, 2016 03:13 PM

moon and stars water melon and Crenshaw melon, I live in water melon country of Missouri.

MikeInCypress April 20, 2016 07:02 PM

I am trying Early Moonbeam Watermelon. Got seeds from SESE. Supposed to have short vines. We will see.

MikeInCypress

imp April 21, 2016 10:34 PM

Odd that several say there is no aroma to Ha'Ogen melons, we grew it in the front yard and people would literally stop in the street and ask what that wonderful small was?

Ours tasted sublime, and were very aromatic.

fantoma April 29, 2016 01:41 PM

I'm growing mostly Sugar Baby and Haogen.

Reign May 1, 2016 02:47 AM

My melon list keeps changing. I'll grow Wibb for sure (watermelon) since I need fresh seeds. Charentais. Ananasnaya (new to me). Oka (need fresh seed). I'm trying to keep it to 4/4.
I threatened to only grow melons this year. My garden helper threatened to walk off the job.

Adriana May 1, 2016 04:23 AM

I am testing Minnesota Midget this year. I don't think the plants are compact but the fruit is supposed to be "personal size".

I hope to grow them up the posts of my deck and up to the pergola. Has anybody who has grown these before comment on flavor abd growth habit?

Reign May 1, 2016 03:26 PM

vines are compact...