Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Problem making CRW cages (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17185)

desertlzbn May 5, 2011 08:32 PM

Tuk50 you want to come over and finish putting together my cages for me? (just kidding) I had shoulder surgery in January and man it is a pain trying to twist those wires.

tuk50 May 6, 2011 12:08 AM

Ha Ha! I just finished making 16 more last week and I may need the name or your Doc..... LOL! My grandson helped me with the first few then just me and the dog... LOL.
I did invest in in one of those Harbor Freight small bolt cutters for 10bucks best investment this week....

tomakers May 6, 2011 04:23 AM

Bolt cutters make it a lot easier. I bought my first ones about 30 yrs ago after my 1st set of cages. You CAN do it with side cutters, but it is tough.

tuk50 May 6, 2011 08:34 AM

Yeah! You are right... its like butter.. I hadn't realized how much easier till after I used them. The whole problem with shaping CRW is the thickness of the wire, but that is what makes them so good for cages.

cushman350 May 6, 2011 11:05 AM

The bend needs to be spread over a radius like a tubing bender. The pinch of just plain bending is what breaks the steel. Year after year will fatigue and break anyway. I have also used zip ties, try to find the UV protected ones.

An angle grinder with a cutting disc is quick and easy to cut the steel. Cheap at harbor freight.

kevinrs May 10, 2011 10:36 PM

what's everyone's vote on sizes for CRW cages? I'm seeing everything from 9-13 squares, including some that do 9, 10 and 11, for ease of storage.

geeboss May 11, 2011 05:54 AM

Just wrap it around a 55 gallon drum

tomakers May 11, 2011 06:31 AM

I've used 10, 11, 12, 14. It doesn't matter too much, some tomatoes need more space. Most of mine are 10, which gives about an 17" diameter, but lately I have made a lot more @ 12, which gives about 22" diameter. I have some smaller, made from ends or remainder of sheets, that I use for bean towers or gourds, cucumbers, whatever you need or want to keep off the ground.
Tom

tuk50 May 11, 2011 11:22 AM

I too have different sizes and tend to like the 11 or 12 squares..... on taller 5' and 6' I still make them a bit larger for stability, but the 3' and 4' ones can be narrower to crowd in smaller varieties, just don't set them without some type of anchor system. they also make good row cover domes and this year I used some to make an arbor to run gourds onto.
[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/tuk50/2011%20GARDEN%20PICTURES/may11019.jpg[/IMG]

tomakers May 11, 2011 11:43 AM

tuk50 said: "just don't set them without some type of anchor system"

Some anchor every one. I don't anchor any, at least initially. If some get blown over then I use a 6' stake driven next to the cage opposite the direction it fell and attach it with a couple of ties. They don't go down again. I have never suffered much damage from the cages falling, usually just a couple of fruit fall off, if that. Most of the branches are inside the cage and don't get damaged.
I had another idea for securing the cages I haven't tried as yet.
[COLOR=red]I think you could use tent pegs on the bottom rungs of the cage to hold it. Think this would work?? It seems to me it would be a lot easier. Pros, cons???[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Tom[/COLOR]

kevinrs May 11, 2011 04:19 PM

one of the threads here brought up tent pegs, I have ordered some, waiting on them to arrive.

tuk50 May 11, 2011 04:42 PM

I haven't read anything about tent pegs before... sounds like a good idea... as long as they are long enough..
We just built a new home 2years ago and had about half a bundle of 3/8in x 20ft rebar left over so thats what I used by setting the cages then running a 20ft length through all of the row at once and bending a piece of rebar to use as staples. Wind is a problem here and beats my garden up .. we live at the base of a mountain range and the wind is always blowing.. LOL.. ALWAYS...

frankkj May 14, 2011 09:22 AM

When I used to tie cages, I drove a 6' T-post on each end of a row and ran a taught piece of bailing wire through the row about 4' high. They might give a little in a strong wind, but they wouldn't blow over.

Not to hijack the thread. but have a question for tuk50. What is the horizontal CRW for above you plants? Would be a perfect place to grow mirliton.

Frank

tuk50 May 14, 2011 09:35 AM

Just messin around as they say! I had some odd pieces of crw left over and decided to make an arbor.... each of the 4 posts has planted beside it Luffa, Birdhouse gourd, Long handled gourd and Armenian cucumber, I thought at least something would grow over it and make a shade. I've now got a bird bath setting out there and a few more hanging baskets... we always have a party on July 4, and I try to do something different each year for that date.

Your system works good... I have used poly cord the same way before and put a turnbuckle on each row to keep the tension, but had so much rebar left over that I've started doing it at the bottom.

raindrops27 March 8, 2012 11:18 AM

Is this what I am supposed to buy to make these cages?

[url]http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202024090/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=wire%20mesh%20fencing&storeId=10051[/url]

Thanks guys, I have never made them before. So, I really do not know if this is what I would use.