Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Alpine strawberries from seed... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15945)

RayR February 20, 2012 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I never grew strawberry from seeds before, but I bought some Alpine seeds this month, I didn't stratify them, I just planted 12 seeds per cell on top of wet seed starting mix and put them under my lights on a heat mat at 70°F. I started to see germination in 4 days. I was expecting low germination rate as others have experienced, but I got this:

Tracydr February 29, 2012 05:57 PM

Wow!Wow, that's amazing!

RayR February 29, 2012 06:12 PM

I thought so too, they all got a set of true leaves now. I guess I'm gonna have a mess of Alpine Strawberry plants.

lurley March 2, 2012 09:38 AM

I wintersowed mine last year and had great germination also. I am planting more the same way today.

puttgirl March 2, 2012 03:35 PM

I wintersowed mine a few years ago. They were very successful, too. I still have them in the same window box, I'm not sure what to do with them.

lurley March 3, 2012 01:22 PM

I am planting mine in a raised bed, and using them as ground cover in my flowerbeds.

desertlzbn March 4, 2012 01:18 AM

Are Alpine strawberries the same as say Ozark or other types you can buy at the store? Can you plant the seeds from regular strawberries?
I started a few roots from the bags that lowes sells, took two bags out of 5 back because they were dead.

puttgirl March 4, 2012 01:49 AM

Alpines are very small and aromatic. I know when I've left them overripen and fall off, they have reseeded. I'm not sure about commercial varieties, but it's worth a shot.

gardengalrn April 8, 2012 11:36 PM

I planted all three varieties from Pinetree this year. White, yellow and red. All with GREAT germination. As before, I stuck them in the freezer for a month then barely sowed them on the surface of some potting mix. We had a cold spell then unusually warm. They are growing like crazy.

gardenfrog April 8, 2012 11:57 PM

Alpines are not the same as those for sale commercially. The Alpines are usually much smaller, but with a bolder strawberry flavor. The Alpines also are more aromatic. If you want flavor, Alpines are great! If you want flavor on a lesser scale, but with much greater size and volume, the commercial varieties are good. Ozark is one of the better-tasting commercial varieties.

John3 April 9, 2012 12:30 AM

Does anyone know if these are the eatable type
[SIZE=1]AROMATIC GOURMET GERMAN YELLOW ALPINE STRAWBERRY
[url]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G66K7O/ref=oh_o00_s00_i05_details[/url]
[/SIZE]

BarbJ April 10, 2012 12:50 PM

They look like the yellow alpines I have. The fruit especially looks the same. So probably.

Tormato April 12, 2012 02:37 PM

John,

Contacting the seller would likely confirm their edibility. They look like Yellow Wonder. I've heard that birds don't go for the yellow ones as much as the red ones. And, the birds do like the red ones.

Ray,

My germination rate was about 3% when I tried Alpine strawberries several years ago. In about 4-5 years, are you going to divide all of those plants? I think I got about 10-12 babies from each mother plant, when I divided mine.

Tormato

[QUOTE=John3;267226]Does anyone know if these are the eatable type
[SIZE=1]AROMATIC GOURMET GERMAN YELLOW ALPINE STRAWBERRY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][URL]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G66K7O/ref=oh_o00_s00_i05_details[/URL][/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

RayR April 13, 2012 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=Tormato;267945]

Ray,

My germination rate was about 3% when I tried Alpine strawberries several years ago. In about 4-5 years, are you going to divide all of those plants? I think I got about 10-12 babies from each mother plant, when I divided mine.

Tormato[/QUOTE]

I haven't thought that far ahead yet. I haven't grown Alpine Strawberries before and never grown strawberries from seed before, so this is new to me.
I potted up half of the healthiest seedlings in individual cells last weekend, 39 plants. They have been outside under cover before that in the daytime, so they are hardened off. They are still small, but slowly popping new growth, maybe being crowded and the cool temps had been holding them back a bit.

John3 April 13, 2012 01:05 AM

Thanks BarbJ

[QUOTE=Tormato;267945]John,

Contacting the seller would likely confirm their edibility. They look like Yellow Wonder. I've heard that birds don't go for the yellow ones as much as the red ones. And, the birds do like the red ones.[/QUOTE]

I'll try that. I am wondering if i should through the seeds away or grow them. I got the yellow as i had read the birds leave them alone because of there color. And this would be, if I grow them, the first time growing strawberries from seed.