Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Alaska 2015 tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34917)

Goldie321 April 29, 2015 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;468943]Definitely different weather patterns - NO Freeze at all; warmest winter that I can remember; a little rain yesterday but not much; it's been dry for months.

This is the hottest April on record. It feels like August; not April

My plants are about done-very few blossoms left - night-time lows are in the high 70s. I am hoping for cooler weather for one last push of tomatoes.[/QUOTE]

We're on the verge of those 90 temps but haven't crossed the line yet. Hope we don't for a long time. Plenty of rain yesterday. My plants must have been smiling. Of course now I'll have to spray that neem oil for the fungicide protection. Will get to that later today when the temperature settles down. Right now I'm glad things are getting a chance to 'dry out' a little. Started my peppers later than usual so they aren't in the garden yet. My Jimmy Nardellos just sat there last year until the summer heat hit - then they started to put out big time. Love those peppers, but you have to order the seeds - no plants or seeds in the stores. They aren't hot peppers but have a nicer more robust flavor than the standard stuff. I made vinegar peppers with the overflow last year and still have several jars canned.

barefootgardener April 29, 2015 01:49 PM

Wow!! Amazing pictures and tomatoes!! Great job Mark.

I have to ask... on the last group of pictures, the third pic from the top, the potato leaf plant with the beautiful large ribbed tomatoes.. is that Big Zac??

Ginny

Sun City Linda April 29, 2015 02:03 PM

Real nice pictures thank you for posting! Anxious to learn the results of your crosses.

AKmark April 30, 2015 01:56 AM

Barefootgardener, those are supposed to be a Potato leaf Black Krim x PL Early Girl, if it took, I will have to see a ripe fruit to be sure. If it did not take, I have the most prolific, early, (pl) Black Krim around.
The mother plant had fruit exactly like a regular leaf Black Krim, it was a pick out of several starts, but it was not early.
We have some other varieties that are really loading up too, I will post a pic when they make people stop and stare.

AZGardener April 30, 2015 09:28 AM

Wow- pretty amazing pics Mark! Keep them coming! It's pretty amazing what one can do with a greenhouse! I am definitely getting one, ONE day :) You said you sell your maters at markets... Do you do anything else with all those maters, like make jams, salsas,etc?

Greatgardens April 30, 2015 09:46 AM

I see the Black Krim X Early Girl -- sounds very interesting. Please let us know how this one does. How is the winter climate in Wasilla? Colder & snowier than say Ketchikan?

-GG

AKmark May 2, 2015 02:20 PM

It has began

1 Attachment(s)
Got my first ripening tomato 95 days from seed, it is one of my Bloody Butcher crosses. The good part for me; it is beating Early Girl in production and earliness, and has as big of fruit, some bigger. I grew one of these last year, and the taste is great, the most important part.

KarenO May 2, 2015 02:37 PM

Yay! that is super early, Good for you! (and the grower gets the first one :))
Karen O

AKmark May 6, 2015 10:58 PM

Tomatoes

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics of the patch, 2 pics of a cross, Stump, BW Landis Valley, and Mrs Benson, it is the best fruit set this year that I have ever had.
It is going to get exciting

JamesL May 6, 2015 11:05 PM

That is a beautiful sight!

AKmark May 12, 2015 01:32 AM

Tomatoes

5 Attachment(s)
We have got to try a few ripe tomatoes, and all three varieties so far are from our own crosses. The red tomato is potato leaf Black Krim x PL Early Girl, they taste just like EG with a softer texture.
We are also growing a few tomatoes for sheer size, that has been fun too. Everything is going well, I will post the list soon.

bower May 12, 2015 07:21 AM

Beautiful, Mark! And shaping up for another great season in Wasilla! :yes:
Very impressed with the 95 days from seed, too.
I think tomatoes want to adapt to our northern climates. 8-)

heirloomtomaguy May 12, 2015 09:20 AM

Very nice Mark your tomatoes are always so beautiful.

jmsieglaff May 12, 2015 09:53 AM

I always am eager to click on this thread when new pictures are posted. It is so impressive what you're able to do with your greenhouse in Alaska. Meanwhile I'll be planting out probably this weekend and eagerly waiting for the first ripe tomato--depending on the weather either the very last couple days of June or early July.

AKmark May 14, 2015 09:25 PM

Large cherry tomatoes

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more pics of my slabs I am growing, still no blushing, and both are over 20 inches the bigger one is a bit over 22 I think.