Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Radishes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39205)

Worth1 January 2, 2016 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;522567]There are three bugs that love when radishes go to seed. Stink and Harlequin Bugs and especially Squash Bugs. In the spring 2014 garden, we let several types of radishes go to seed. Once they start getting woody, there's a strong scent released. It's like a dinner bell going off for stink, harlequin, and squash bugs. They were so bad that I pulled the plants, put them directly into a large trash can, and hauled them to a burning pile.

I'm pretty sure that where I went wrong was by not keeping the pods picked soon enough. Stink, Harlequin, and Squash bugs will do in a crop - in a short time.[/QUOTE]

How do they know?
Do they just fly around looking for prey or what.:x

Worth

AlittleSalt January 2, 2016 11:23 PM

Those bugs came pre-programmed with the parody song ,"Eat it" by Weird Al [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI[/URL]

peppero January 7, 2016 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;522047]Can you do ANYTHING with radishes besides eat them raw?[/QUOTE]

slice thin and stir fry to your personal taste.

found this to be good for hot ones.

jon:yes:

loulac January 8, 2016 03:38 AM

I had no idea radish pods could be eaten but I remain open to all ideas and will have a try next summer. Christinajob (post17) gives a recipe from France I had never heard of, let me give another which can only be found in a very small part of our country, the equivalent of a US county. You cut your radishes into small bits or slices, you can fry them till they become transparent but you don’t have to. Then you add salted pork liver cut into small bits in the frying pan or the salad bowl. Radishes can be replaced by very young artichokes cut into thin slices, direct from the plant. Can salted pork liver be found in the States ? I really don’t know.

clkeiper January 8, 2016 07:02 AM

[QUOTE=loulac;523907]I had no idea radish pods could be eaten but I remain open to all ideas and will have a try next summer. Christinajob (post17) gives a recipe from France I had never heard of, let me give another which can only be found in a very small part of our country, the equivalent of a US county. You cut your radishes into small bits or slices, you can fry them till they become transparent but you don’t have to. Then you add salted pork liver cut into small bits in the frying pan or the salad bowl. Radishes can be replaced by very young artichokes cut into thin slices, direct from the plant.

[FONT="Arial Narrow"] Can salted pork liver be found in the States ? I really don’t know[/FONT].[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but I have never heard of it.

ChristinaJo January 12, 2016 07:18 PM

The variety Muncner Bier( sp?) is a German radish that has prolific pod sets. I used them a lot in stir frys and salads.
My mom, who grew up in Germany, told me to slice the root but not all the way off and still connected at the bottom,salt it down Pretty good. Turn it upside down and let it sit for 15 minutes. Peel off slice and serve with brown bread and beer. Mom said she misses that.

reddeheddefarm January 12, 2016 07:29 PM

Baker Creek has the seeds

Worth1 January 12, 2016 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=ChristinaJo;525006]The variety Muncner Bier( sp?) is a German radish that has prolific pod sets. I used them a lot in stir frys and salads.
My mom, who grew up in Germany, told me to slice the root but not all the way off and still connected at the bottom,salt it down Pretty good. Turn it upside down and let it sit for 15 minutes. Peel off slice and serve with brown bread and beer. Mom said she misses that.[/QUOTE]

I love radishes and beer I mean what could go together better. :love:

Worth

taboule January 13, 2016 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;525012]I love radishes and beer I mean what could go together better. :love:

Worth[/QUOTE]

I love anything with beer.

{writing this from Milwaukee, visiting a customer on business} 8-)

bower January 15, 2016 09:35 PM

I've eaten radishes in all the ways mentioned but still a hot radish isn't something I would seek out to eat bunches of. I find them okay only when mixed with a lot of something else. Even cooked they are not much more agreeable. Pickled and used as a condiment is more my speed. I agree the young pods are better but on some varieties the pods are as hot as the radish. The closer a radish is to a turnip in flavour the better I like it. I mean, mild really mild turnips. I think the mildest radish I've eaten is a purple skinned one called Purple Plum.8-)

Worth1 January 15, 2016 09:39 PM

What makes a radish not grow a radish just a hard hot root..
Worth

bower January 15, 2016 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;525672]What makes a radish not grow a radish just a hard hot root..
Worth[/QUOTE]

(1) I didn't water enough.:cry:
(2) I sowed them too thick.:shock:
(3) I looked at em sideways.:?
(4) They know I don't want em. :P

Worth1 January 15, 2016 10:04 PM

It happened to me one year in the raised beds.:(

worth

bower January 15, 2016 10:18 PM

They may just be cantankerous. :)

Worth1 January 15, 2016 10:28 PM

I dont know what the deal was it was before I figured out the PH was so high.
Big plants little hard roots.
They were Black Spanish but the carrots and lettuce did fine.