Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Our Garden Cookbook™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Texas Chili (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43906)

Worth1 February 12, 2017 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;618307]People around here crave it. When I go to the chili parlor I usually order chili mac which is made with rotelli /scroodle pasta with a scoop of chili and cheese sprinkled on it, it's good, but I get this strange burning sensation in my stomach about an hour later.
Years ago I had to go to a Proctologist in St Louis, he preformed my checkup then said " You live by Carlinville IL don't you?" I said yes... He said If you pick me up a 12 pack of Taylor's Chili, I won't change you for this visit! He got his chili! :))[/QUOTE]

Not saying I wouldn't eat it, that is what the crackers are for, to sop up the oil.:yes:

Worth

pmcgrady February 12, 2017 05:35 PM

Each bowl of chili comes with a half package of saltines (about 20). The last of the Taylor's who owned the business were very opinionated / crabby... If you asked for more crackers, they would tell you no, we gave you the perfect amount for a bowl. If you asked for ketchup or vinegar they would throw you out. Years ago I went there wearing a t shirt from an air show, it had a pic of the nose of a B52 Bomber with a pinup girl painted on it, one of the Taylor's threw me out telling me not to come back until I learned to dress appropriately. The young couple who own the company now are very nice people

Worth1 February 12, 2017 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;618321]Each bowl of chili comes with a half package of saltines (about 20). The last of the Taylor's who owned the business were very opinionated / crabby... If you asked for more crackers, they would tell you no, we gave you the perfect amount for a bowl. If you asked for ketchup or vinegar they would throw you out. Years ago I went there wearing a t shirt from an air show, it had a pic of the nose of a B52 Bomber with a pinup girl painted on it, one of the Taylor's threw me out telling me not to come back until I learned to dress appropriately. The young couple who own the company now are very nice people[/QUOTE]

Sounds like old man Cook here in Bastrop.
Owned the last remaining hardware store before he passed away.
I miss the mean old coot.:(
Worth

bjbebs February 12, 2017 06:22 PM

My chili is pretty much like Hellmann's. Coarsely ground deer or braised shoulder meat, a load of onion warm peppers and garlic, jarred garden tomatoes, chili powder, salt and pepper and yes, the dreaded B word. Sorry purists, mucho kidney beans. After browning the meat, onions and garlic in a big dutch oven everything else is added except the beans. Cook for a good hour on medium simmer and then add the beans to heat through. Add a few sleeves of saltines and enjoy.

SueCT February 12, 2017 06:30 PM

Never understood the need to add thickeners, even though I like it pretty thick. That is what long simmering is for. Cook it until it is the right consistency in a big cast iron pot. OK, I just might have to make some this week, since I have been out in the freezer for quite a while. Might have to go all meat this time to try it. Wow wonder how many pounds of ground meat I need to make a whole pot of all beef chili? I put it in single serve containers and a few minutes in the microwave and I have homemade chili after a crazy day at work when I am too tired to cook. :yes:

decherdt February 12, 2017 06:55 PM

Just finished a pot of Fire Hall chili with 2 lb 3/4 ground chuck, feeds 3 with crackers, maybe four with crackers and a 12 pak. I'd go with 3 lb to feed four.

SueCT February 12, 2017 07:03 PM

I usually fill a 5 qt cast iron pot about 3/4 full. So I am guessing 6+ lbs, esp if I want to restock the freezer.

pmcgrady February 12, 2017 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=decherdt;618345]Just finished a pot of Fire Hall chili with 2 lb 3/4 ground chuck, feeds 3 with crackers, maybe four with crackers and a 12 pak. I'd go with 3 lb to feed four.[/QUOTE]

12 pack per person?

Worth1 February 12, 2017 07:23 PM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;618350]12 pack per person?[/QUOTE]

Surely yes, why scrimp on ingredients.

Worth

pmcgrady February 12, 2017 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;618353]Surely yes, why scrimp on ingredients.

Worth[/QUOTE]

It's rare in life... that I run across a bigger smartazz than myself... but I think I just did!:))

dmforcier February 12, 2017 10:00 PM

[I]Now just a dadburn minnit here![/I] I have a professional reputation to protect!

Do I have to propose a smartazz-off??

[SIZE=1]Oh Lord, save me from myself![/SIZE]

AlittleSalt February 12, 2017 11:55 PM

With could have a smartazzathon in the possibilities. :lol:
I actually like canned chili.

dmforcier February 13, 2017 02:25 PM

I got it -> Smartazzapalooza !

SueCT February 13, 2017 08:13 PM

Does anyone add beer to their Chili? If so, what beer do you recommend? The recipe I started with calls for it, but can't remember if I actually tried it that way before I came up with my own version. I tend to take what I like or have on hand from a recipe and come up with my own recipe over time.

Worth1 February 13, 2017 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=SueCT;618642]Does anyone add beer to their Chili? If so, what beer do you recommend? The recipe I started with calls for it, but can't remember if I actually tried it that way before I came up with my own version. I tend to take what I like or have on hand from a recipe and come up with my own recipe over time.[/QUOTE]

I dont think I ever have.
I just cant stand to pour good beer in food.:lol:
Worth