Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Summer Squash/Zucchini (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47286)

FourOaks May 15, 2018 09:13 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;695704]Al, bush beans are not vining. But your point about vines is still valid.

Nan[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;695844]....My fave are the broad yellow Roma beans,....

Nan[/QUOTE]

Ill have to disagree somewhat with your statement, and I also didnt know that there was a yellow Roma bean? Interesting.

Anyhow, my favorite is Roma II, my seeds for those come specifically from Southern States. Believe me, they WANT to climb. I think it has to do with their parent lineage coming thru.

I noticed this morning that a few vines are starting up the sprinkler poles I have setup in the High Tunnel. So, with my seed source, yes they will climb if given the choice.

Ill happily provide a photo if it helps my claims and furthers the conversation. :lol:

MrBig46 May 16, 2018 11:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This year I'll grow gherkins vertically in spirals (Svatava F1), winter pumpkins (Hokaido, Buternut Lyscia and Uchiki Kuri) also vertically in spirals. and zucchini (Jigonal and Ambassador F1 – bush) on the ground. They're all growing up for me.
Vladimír

Nan_PA_6b May 16, 2018 12:33 PM

Your garden is very neat and tidy. Do you have much problem with bugs on your squash and gherkins/cucumbers? I am not growing squash because the bugs kill the plants every year.

Nan

MrBig46 May 17, 2018 04:42 AM

There are no pests of these plants in our country. No disease, just cucumber, can be a problem in the hot summer (long over 30 ° C), when from the south (Bulgaria, etc.) it gets into the Czech Republic cucumber mold. In our conditions, this mold does not cut through. This partially addresses hybrid varieties more resistant to this mold, and it is also solved by early planting so that when the mildew arrives, it is necessary to have enough pickled cucumbers.
Vladimír

Nan_PA_6b May 17, 2018 10:06 AM

NO SQUASH BUGS??!!! Packing my bags to move to the Czech Republic...:lol:

Nan

Al@NC May 17, 2018 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;700337]This year I'll grow gherkins vertically in spirals (Svatava F1), winter pumpkins (Hokaido, Buternut Lyscia and Uchiki Kuri) also vertically in spirals. and zucchini (Jigonal and Ambassador F1 – bush) on the ground. They're all growing up for me.
Vladimír[/QUOTE]

Vladimir, Looking at your pics that's a lot of Squash and Pumpkins! :)

Al

MrBig46 May 18, 2018 02:28 PM

Vegetables native to America (tomatoes, peppers and squashes) do not taste any beetle or animals with us. Only potatoes came to us with its pest - potato beetle. And this beetle also loves eggplant. :lol:
Vladimír

MrBig46 June 1, 2018 01:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today, I have built up a construction for the vertical cultivation of winter squashs. Vladimír

Nan_PA_6b June 1, 2018 01:18 PM

What kinds of winter squash? If they are big, will they be able to hang from the wires?
Nan

pmcgrady June 1, 2018 08:06 PM

Replying to the first post...
Don't grow something under your squash leaves, grow it above them...
Okra
Sunflowers
Something tall...

MrBig46 June 2, 2018 12:44 AM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;702521]What kinds of winter squash? If they are big, will they be able to hang from the wires?
Nan[/QUOTE]

Hokaido, buternut Liscia, Uchiki Kuri (similar to Hokaido) and spaghetti squash. Everything about 2 kg. The wire will last, if it lasts for the pumpkins, I will see it only afterwards. :D
Vladimír

Al@NC June 2, 2018 02:35 AM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;702586]Replying to the first post...
Don't grow something under your squash leaves, grow it above them...
Okra
Sunflowers
Something tall...[/QUOTE]

That might be a good solution! I was thinking that I wanted to minimize the footprint of the summer squash/zucchini leaves or grow under them.

But you could also just grow above the leaves...

Al