Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Megablooms!!! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35833)

efisakov May 1, 2015 06:15 AM

wow, Mark,
it was not easy

AKmark May 5, 2015 12:00 AM

getting bigger

1 Attachment(s)
I think this one has crossed the 2lb mark, I will measure around it in the next day or two. It is not blushing, the sun is really intense where the plant sits, it does have a little sunscald on top.

AKmark May 6, 2015 10:53 PM

Tomatoes

2 Attachment(s)
I put a quarter on the slab to measure it up

PA_Julia May 7, 2015 07:13 AM

Mark,

Excellent!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed that they stay green for approx. 35 days.

Al@NC June 4, 2015 12:25 AM

I've never had a mega bloom quite this big, I'm excited! This is my Porterhouse Hybrid plant.

[IMG]http://s27.postimg.org/ptathzzn6/Porterhouse_Hybrid_6_3_15.jpg[/IMG]

Gardeneer June 4, 2015 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a fused flower, not really a MEGA.
It is on a dwarf called: Purple Heat. It looks like a double to me.

PA_Julia June 4, 2015 06:26 AM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;477829]I have a fused flower, not really a MEGA.
It is on a dwarf called: Purple Heat. It looks like a double to me.[/QUOTE]

Any fused bloom is a mega bloom. The photo depicts what appears to be a triple fused bloom by the look of the bloom on the ride side as it continues around.:yes:

PA_Julia June 4, 2015 06:28 AM

[QUOTE=Al@NC;477820]I've never had a mega bloom quite this big, I'm excited! This is my Porterhouse Hybrid plant.[/QUOTE]

That's what I love to see, someone getting excited over mega blooms like I do!:yes:

NarnianGarden June 4, 2015 07:24 AM

I've got some mega blooms coming up as well.. in Black Seaman, Noire de Crimee and Orange Strawberry. Other buds are nicely boring and uniform :lol:

BigVanVader June 6, 2015 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
AKmark that is not only a beast but very pretty for a MB. Here is one on my Prudence Purple. It isn't very far along yet but looks to be a 4 bloom.

Gardeneer June 6, 2015 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=PA_Julia;477841]Any fused bloom is a mega bloom. The photo depicts what appears to be a triple fused bloom by the look of the bloom on the ride side as it continues around.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Julia. You are an authority on megabloom.:yes:

It is amazing that only my dwarfs have megablooms. Three of them, sofar.
I'll keep them.
Last year my Silvery Fir Tree put out several , no other variety did.

Gardeneer.

Al@NC June 6, 2015 11:13 PM

I have megablooms on my Cherokee Purples, Black Krim, Copper plants and the Porterhouse hybrid. Do you guys find that blacks have more megablooms than other varieties?

lubadub June 6, 2015 11:27 PM

Nice pictures.

BigVanVader June 6, 2015 11:39 PM

[QUOTE=Al@NC;478559]I have megablooms on my Cherokee Purples, Black Krim, Copper plants and the Porterhouse hybrid. Do you guys find that blacks have more megablooms than other varieties?[/QUOTE]

It seems to me that the majority, if not all of the OP heirloom beefsteak type tomatoes I have grown get MB's eventually. I'm on the fence about keeping or culling usually doing some of each depending on many variables. They are fun to watch grow but hard to look at sometimes. The best thing about them I think is seeing other peoples reaction to them.

NarnianGarden June 7, 2015 06:53 AM

My mom's Azoychka has it as well, seems like it is just a ball of green that has no flowery petals at all... Hoping for a megafruit, they are tasty and do not scare me with their exotic looks.

Gerardo June 7, 2015 08:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
They're all over my plants.

Spear's TN Green
[ATTACH]49778[/ATTACH]

Ponderosa Red
[ATTACH]49779[/ATTACH]

Pierce's Pride
[ATTACH]49780[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]49781[/ATTACH]

Even on a Placero Cherry.

pauldavid June 8, 2015 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;478801]They're all over my plants.

Spear's TN Green
[ATTACH]49778[/ATTACH]

Ponderosa Red
[ATTACH]49779[/ATTACH]

Pierce's Pride
[ATTACH]49780[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]49781[/ATTACH]

Even on a Placero Cherry.[/QUOTE]

Gerardo, you are making me nervous with those cutters so close to that beautiful plant:roll:

Al@NC June 8, 2015 12:38 AM

Are you taking them ransom with those shears?!

Gerardo June 8, 2015 12:47 AM

Closed and locked position, nothing safer. I always seem to maul them with my ham-hands.

Spartanburg123 June 8, 2015 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Omar's Lebanese 5X megabloom. Don't know if it's fertilized or not, but I surely tried using a Q-tip.!

beefsteak June 8, 2015 11:14 AM

I had a Porterhouse with a nice megabloom on it, sadly it got hit pretty hard during a frost,(20° F), so I pulled the plant and replaced it.

Starlight June 9, 2015 08:59 PM

At first I thought my megabloom was just a regular bloom as I only saw one small part of the tomato. I was thinking , "Oh well, maybe I'll get another one" and then scouting for flea beetles, nasty little pests, I found the rest of my tomato and smiled. Big smile. :D I got an ugly tomato growing! :lol:

It reminds me of an accordion and a caterpillar all in one. I don't know how big it will get or even if I can get it to grow and not abort, but it sure is fun looking at it.

So tomorrow this Amazon Chocolate will get a major haircut and trim. I have another plant or two of it, so this one I can experiment on and see what develops.

PA_Julia... You said to top it no matter how tall it was. This guy is only about 2 1/2 feet tall. Should I still top it? I'll remove the other blooms that are normal looking. Do I leave all the leaves and branches on still?

AKmark June 9, 2015 09:43 PM

TOMATO

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of our biggest of the season, feed them a lot.

Spartanburg123 June 9, 2015 10:21 PM

Holy cow, AKMark, that's a mater! Er, I mean multi-mater! What variety is that?

You also get all the sunlight, correct?? I heard that AK tomatoes get enormous!!

AKmark June 9, 2015 11:28 PM

It is Terhune, yep, I think the daylight length is helping, and I did not grow it by using grass clippings, etc. lol
The record/ official was 2.52lbs, unofficial was 3.3, this year so far we have a 3.44-3.66-4.07-5.42....
Big Zac is up next.

Spartanburg123 June 10, 2015 09:40 AM

Terhune, wow! That looks like a triple blossom...

I grew for size last year (Big Zacs mainly), but I'm focused on taste this year. Omar's Lebanese, Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Dr. Wyche's Yellow, Pink Brandywine, etc.

efisakov June 11, 2015 08:26 PM

Great job, Mark! Really nice looking tomato too, not an ugly one. So, are you measuring total weight per plant this year as well? You mentioned some great productions last year. Any new developments?

JRinPA June 12, 2015 12:00 AM

Glad I read this thread. A couple years back I had a pair of supersteak plants that produced a lot of catfaced tomatos which took forever to ripen. They were big tomatoes but very disappointing over all. I haven't even considered growing it again. I wonder if these megablooms were responsible.

Now that I know what to look for, I'll be sure to pull off any flowers that look like megablooms. At the same time I wish you all the best of luck with your giants!