Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Maglia Rosa is excellent for containers and small spaces (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30721)

Fred Hempel March 31, 2016 10:47 AM

Wow. That's interesting!

[QUOTE=PNW_D;527611]Fred

thought you might find this of interest .......... chocolate covered Maglia Rosa with chili pepper

[URL]http://104.131.182.75/app/uploads/2014/09/DSC_9523.jpg[/URL]

[URL]http://oliveoilandlemons.com/sunshinefarmtomato-festival-pickeld-cherry-tomatoes/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Gerardo March 31, 2016 12:30 PM

Tried my first fruit yesterday, excellent. It is an ideal plant for containers.

greenthumbomaha April 1, 2016 09:53 PM

This seed was started with my very early cold tolerant tomatoes and its the first have a bloom, beating Stupice. Poor thing has another month to primarily live indoors in a one gallon pot with trips outside when sunny and over 45 degrees.

- Lisa

ginger2778 April 1, 2016 10:12 PM

I grew it this season. Its really delicious.

tnpeppers April 3, 2016 09:18 AM

Mr. Hemple...I have seen it mentioned upthread that Maglia Rosa does well in containers...I saw 5-gallon referenced; but do you feel that is large enough? Would you recommend ten, or even twenty for maximum performance?

Fred Hempel April 3, 2016 11:28 AM

I think 5 gallon is good, and that you might not get much more production in 10 or 20. But, with the larger containers the risk of the container drying out in a heat-wave goes way down.

During hot days you might have to water 2 or 3 times with a 5 gallon container.

gdaddybill April 20, 2016 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;520106]Cole Robbie described the plant differences well, above.

I like Maglia Rosa a little better, flavorwise. It is bright, sweet and tangy.

[URL="http://store.growartisan.com/product/maglia-rosa-cherry-tomato"]
We do sell it at our site[/URL]. Was that the site you couldn't find it at?[/QUOTE]
Fred-I tossed my Pink Tiger seedlings last year because they looked virusy. This year I grew a few anyway--thinking it might just be genetic. The plant in the tomato patch looks a bit wispy but I'm hoping it is healthy. Does this sound like a typical characteristic of Pink Tiger?

Cole_Robbie April 20, 2016 03:15 PM

Yeah, that's normal. A lot of Fred's varieties have wispy foliage.

Fred Hempel April 20, 2016 04:52 PM

Pink Tiger is wispy. So is Maglia Rosa, Green Tiger, Blush and Lucky Tiger.

The Bumblebees are not wispy.

Cole_Robbie April 20, 2016 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;553381]The Bumblebees are not wispy.[/QUOTE]

Mine look kinda wispy right now. Is that a seedling thing that they grow out of? wispy-ish? They look a little different, but not full-fledged wispy.

Fred Hempel April 20, 2016 06:22 PM

They can be a bit wispy, but not full on.

tarpalsfan April 20, 2016 06:58 PM

I

[SIZE=4]I am growing Maglia Rosa this season. I looked online, and read about it here, but other than that, I can't find much about Maglia Rosa. My plants are potato leaf, just getting a few true leaves. I know it is determinate, and read it can be grown it a 5 gallon pot, pick at pink stage...but is there anything else? I am excited about growing it. :):D[/SIZE]

Fred Hempel April 20, 2016 07:00 PM

Well, I can say that it is definitely not potato leaf.

Where did you get your seed?

NewWestGardener April 20, 2016 08:06 PM

Not potato leaf for sure.
You can probably put two or three MR to occupy one regular spot. They are small plants with no backbones, but lots of side branches. It would be hard to stake or trellis them, but doable. A tall sturdy pot for them to hang down naturally on the side would work better.

I planted mine on the edge of a tall raised bed (18"), buried long sections of the main roots and stems (for more new roots in the future), so they can hang freely downwards. Behind them will be the regulars with trellis support.

tarpalsfan April 21, 2016 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;553438]Well, I can say that it is definitely not potato leaf.

Where did you get your seed?[/QUOTE]
[SIZE=4]I received as a gift from:The Sample Seed Shop. I had my tomatoes started for the season, so I only started two plants. Both are potato leaf. Both plants are nice, one though is quite a bit hardier than the other. I have the seed pack in my hand right now, it says Maglia Rosa. But both of my plants are potato leaf. :surprised: I ordered two packs of dwarf tomato seed from her. On her site, it said that Maglia Rosa was good for containers. I am guessing that is why she sent me Maglia Rosa as free seed. But perhaps a different tomato, mislabeled. :shrug: I guess I will find out what I have later on. [/SIZE]

Fred Hempel April 21, 2016 08:52 PM

Definitely let us know how it turns out!

tarpalsfan April 22, 2016 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;553828]Definitely let us know how it turns out![/QUOTE]
[SIZE=4]I will. I suspect that the plants are indeterminate-they don't look like my dwarf or determinate plants. Whatever they are, I will let you know. :)[/SIZE]

JosephineRose May 20, 2016 01:38 PM

Hello,

Do you think Maglia Rosa would have better production in an Earthbox? Thanks very much.

ginger2778 May 20, 2016 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=JosephineRose;561674]Hello,

Do you think Maglia Rosa would have better production in an Earthbox? Thanks very much.[/QUOTE]

I grew mine in an Earthbox this past season. It got to about 3.5 feet high, production was medium. Taste was great.

Starlight May 27, 2016 01:24 PM

Can somebody tell me exactly what the "pink stage" looks like? If anybody has a pic of this stage, I would to see it. I'm going crazy waiting for mine to turn any color but green so I can not only see what this fruit looks like, but to taste some after hearing so much about it.

Mine are definitely wispy foliage.

Salsacharley May 27, 2016 02:40 PM

There's some pics in this thread.....

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33263&highlight=Maglia+Rosa[/url]

Sherry_AK May 27, 2016 03:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The first year I grew Maglia Rosa (2014), I grew two plants. One had a decidedly more upright posture and provided pink-ish fruits. The other was more sprawling and the fruits had green striping. I preferred the sprawling plant and that's what I've grown since.

The first photo shows two Maglia Rosa fruits and one Blush.

Fred Hempel May 27, 2016 04:01 PM

Sherry, Where did you get your seeds for the variable Maglia Rosa?

[QUOTE=Sherry_AK;563712]The first year I grew Maglia Rosa (2014), I grew two plants. One had a decidedly more upright posture and provided pink-ish fruits. The other was more sprawling and the fruits had green striping. I preferred the sprawling plant and that's what I've grown since.

The first photo shows two Maglia Rosa fruits and one Blush.[/QUOTE]

Hunt-Grow-Cook May 27, 2016 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=Sherry_AK;563712]The first year I grew Maglia Rosa (2014), I grew two plants. One had a decidedly more upright posture and provided pink-ish fruits. The other was more sprawling and the fruits had green striping. I preferred the sprawling plant and that's what I've grown since.

The first photo shows two Maglia Rosa fruits and one Blush.[/QUOTE]

The two pictured with Blush look more like Lucky Tiger.

NarnianGarden May 27, 2016 04:51 PM

I was thinking the same.

Fred Hempel May 27, 2016 04:51 PM

They look like perfectly ripe (pre-full color) Maglia Rosa to me. Or very very over-ripe Lucky Tiger.

Starlight May 27, 2016 05:17 PM

Thank you both SalsaCharley and Shirley . That's a big help. : )

remy May 27, 2016 05:40 PM

[SIZE=2][QUOTE=tarpalsfan;553766]I received as a gift from:The Sample Seed Shop. I had my tomatoes started for the season, so I only started two plants. Both are potato leaf. Both plants are nice, one though is quite a bit hardier than the other. I have the seed pack in my hand right now, it says Maglia Rosa. But both of my plants are potato leaf. :surprised: I ordered two packs of dwarf tomato seed from her. On her site, it said that Maglia Rosa was good for containers. I am guessing that is why she sent me Maglia Rosa as free seed. But perhaps a different tomato, mislabeled. :shrug: I guess I will find out what I have later on. [/QUOTE][/SIZE]
With both plants being PL, I know I put the wrong seed into the packet (Packets are filled to order.) We did speak awhile back, and I said it could be any PL plant in my L-Z selections. It is most likely a tasty beefsteak.
Remy

Sherry_AK May 27, 2016 05:42 PM

Fred -- As I recall, I ordered those seeds from you. I only purchased one seed pack ... both plants came from same pack.

Hunt-Grow-Cook -- I didn't grow Lucky Tiger that year. I did grow it in 2015, and the plant was much different from either of the Maglia Rosa plants. Also, fruits were considerably smaller.

Sherry

Fred Hempel May 27, 2016 08:43 PM

Sprawling is normal. The other plant? A mutant, or the work of some dagnab insect.

[QUOTE=Sherry_AK;563754]Fred -- As I recall, I ordered those seeds from you. I only purchased one seed pack ... both plants came from same pack.

Hunt-Grow-Cook -- I didn't grow Lucky Tiger that year. I did grow it in 2015, and the plant was much different from either of the Maglia Rosa plants. Also, fruits were considerably smaller.

Sherry[/QUOTE]