Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Interested in Growing a Multiflora Dwarf? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39520)

KarenO June 5, 2018 01:08 AM

In promix to start. Daily watering, couple x a week water with 1/2 st all purpose MG and probably around 1 tbsp Epsom salts every 2 or 3 weeks. Not very fancy.
Any yellow leaf is removed. I Don’t prune properly, but I do remove anything discoloured or spotty whenever I see it
K

oakley June 5, 2018 08:45 AM

Gorgeous plant/plants Karen. I actually miss my big mass of rugosa I planted out last
year. I'm on the micro hunt and only saved seed from the best flavor and small stature.

I'm glad you saved the opposite.
Winter growing goes a bit slow but with no leaves on the trees I do have a sunny South
window they spend some time in. Micros are a bit easier to move around.

I did successfully grow a Terrenzo, a Lizziano, a Metallica, and a rugosa multiflora that are
now outside and did take off finally, and fruiting.

bjbebs June 5, 2018 09:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures of 37x-F4 and 46x-F4 loading up with flowers. Most all of the 8 varieties being grown have good fruit set. Plant sizes vary, one fine leaf 45x-F4 is the tallest. 73x-F3, the fuzzy leaf, is the shortest by far. So far all plants are 12" or shorter. Plants are now 10-11 weeks old and healthy as can be.

Greatgardens June 7, 2018 12:48 AM

I separated two of the 19X from one of the 12" baskets with one plant going to the 7 gallon container and one staying in the basket. They were easily divided, and neither showed any visible distress. So we'll have a good comparison on how these are affected by the container space.

tryno12 June 10, 2018 12:28 PM

identify

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder what this Orange/Yellow Striped Cherry is: a 13X- F5 -1-2 or 13X F2 (mmf X Sweet Baby Girl) ?

akgardengirl June 13, 2018 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This years photo of 53x-F4-2. Lots of sprays and taller than last years. It was tasty last year so hoping for the same or better this season. This years is way more multi-flora than the F3's. I grew a sister to this in the house this winter and it was not mf but was a very short plant. All the yellow fruit was tart/sour!

dfollett June 14, 2018 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=tryno12;703656]I wonder what this Orange/Yellow Striped Cherry is: a 13X- F5 -1-2 or 13X F2 (mmf X Sweet Baby Girl) ?[/QUOTE]

The original 13X F2 that was the great grandparent of of the F5 you have was red with yellow stripes and one of the best tasting fruits I have ever tasted. I've never fully replicated that flavor. I'm hoping someone finds it and stabilizes it. I know the potential is in there somewhere.

dfollett June 14, 2018 12:46 AM

[QUOTE=akgardengirl;704049]This years photo of 53x-F4-2. Lots of sprays and taller than last years. It was tasty last year so hoping for the same or better this season. This years is way more multi-flora than the F3's. I grew a sister to this in the house this winter and it was not mf but was a very short plant. All the yellow fruit was tart/sour![/QUOTE]

Interesting. I'm finding that size is not as easily stabilized as I'd hoped. The more of this I see the more I'm convinced there are multiple genes involved in making the micro. It's not quite as easy as finding a dwarf after a cross and knowing all its offspring will be dwarf (unfortunately)

tryno12 June 14, 2018 02:03 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]The original 13X F2 that was the great grandparent of of the F5 you have was red with yellow stripes and one of the best tasting fruits I have ever tasted. I've never fully replicated that flavor. I'm hoping someone finds it and stabilizes it. I know the potential is in there somewhere.[/COLOR]

This is a very good tasting tomato - one of the best taste for me also! Just not sure which one it is - I will know next time one is ripe and I know which plant I take it from.............:dizzy:

tryno12 June 14, 2018 09:38 AM

:?!?:Was wondering if I saved the seeds from the above 13X F5 -1-2 what would that plant be called?? 13X - F6 - 1 -2 ??:?!?:

Al@NC June 14, 2018 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=tryno12;704148]:?!?:Was wondering if I saved the seeds from the above 13X F5 -1-2 what would that plant be called?? 13X - F6 - 1 -2 ??:?!?:[/QUOTE]

Correct! If you saved seeds from F5 and planted them then the next plant would be F6..

Al

hl2601 June 14, 2018 11:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
51 F3, 2 plants of 51 F4 (such different heights!) and 33. Loving these little guys. More fruits coming every day.

dfollett June 14, 2018 11:52 PM

[QUOTE=tryno12;704148]:?!?:Was wondering if I saved the seeds from the above 13X F5 -1-2 what would that plant be called?? 13X - F6 - 1 -2 ??:?!?:[/QUOTE]

Al is correct. It certainly would be an F6 and what you show is the naming convention I use. It eventually gets quite cumbersome to use. It has always been my intention that by the time a line got to F6 or F7 I'd give it a working name to simplify things.

Hopefully you'll find something good enough to name and eventually stabilize. Good Luck.

hl2601 June 18, 2018 11:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just noticing (pic 1- bottom right corners)my 51 F3 is producing what looks more like a lobed mini beefsteak. I think we were looking for a red heart, strong taste?

Its brothers- 4 plants of 51 F4(pic 2) all show the nipple truer to a heart.

Has anyone else found these mini lobed beefsteak like fruit from any 51's?

bjbebs July 1, 2018 12:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
First picture is 51X F3 showing yellow fruit. Second is 73X F3 with large size fruit, easily 2 oz. Third is 45X F4 loaded up. I've not tasted any fruit yet.