Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Dotson's Lebanese Heart Growout, 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44432)

Spartanburg123 June 11, 2017 11:39 PM

Sorry Hoosier! I had 6/16 come up. Please try again next season!!

Darin

ddsack June 12, 2017 08:56 AM

I had 3 of 4 sprout, although the last laggard took 17 days. So far all doing fine.

Spartanburg123 June 18, 2017 01:08 PM

7 Attachment(s)
After returning from a week at the beach, I was happy to see all plants thriving (neighbor got an extra box of salt water taffy for the efforts). The enormous DLH plant that I'm standing next to currently has 35 tomatoes set successfully. The ones at the bottom are approaching 1 lb in size. On another plant in the back of the garden, lurks perhaps the largest tomato I've ever grown (from a single blossom). It is also a DLH, at the very bottom, and is 6 inches in diameter and perhaps 4 inches in height. I would guess that it is approaching the 2 lb mark, which is not surprising as Carolyn had pointed out in her book that the parent Omar's Lebanese can produce 3-4 lb whoppers. So far, I am really impressed with this cultivar!!

imp June 18, 2017 01:22 PM

Oh, lord, you are just going to have to send me some of those seeds from that skyscraper! Productive, too.

Spartanburg123 June 18, 2017 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=imp;648004]Oh, lord, you are just going to have to send me some of those seeds from that skyscraper! Productive, too.[/QUOTE]

Will do, Imp!! I'm going to use this plant for seed saving, and the others for eating!

KarenO June 18, 2017 01:39 PM

Holy moly that's a beauty Darin. Mine are just children still butcare growing nicely.
KarenO

Spartanburg123 June 18, 2017 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;648014]Holy moly that's a beauty Darin. Mine are just children still butcare growing nicely.
KarenO[/QUOTE]

That's great news Karen! There is a member here (Rhines) who is growing a pair of DLH next to a pair of Omar's Lebanese (OL), so that should be a great comparison. I believe he is in upstate NY.:)

Nan_PA_6b June 18, 2017 03:19 PM

Wow, that's some big 'mater you've got there, Darin! Have you gotten big ones like that in the past?

Nan

Spartanburg123 June 18, 2017 08:47 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;648040]Wow, that's some big 'mater you've got there, Darin! Have you gotten big ones like that in the past?

Nan[/QUOTE]

Nan- no, not of DLH. Prior to these three, I had grown DLH only once, when is was discovered, in 2015 (we called it Omar's Lebanese Heart then). I only got two ripe fruit because the BER was so bad that year. Dutch informed me in 2016, after growing out my seeds, that they routinely produce 1 lb fruit, and since the parent Omar's Lebanese can grow such big fruit, this is not too surprising.

The only other very large tomatoes I've grown were Big Zac- I had one over 2 lbs, a single blossom.:)

imp June 18, 2017 09:00 PM

Such large fruit with out the evil ugly butt syndrome! Amazing, plus the size of the plant. But, I have some spots next year, right off the porch, where the plant could go up to 20 foot and still have a dab of room to grow!!

Spartanburg123 June 18, 2017 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Imp- exactly! Here he is when he was just a baby :)

imp June 18, 2017 09:21 PM

I am impressed and normally prefer cherry sized ones often because of the ugly butt thing, but those you are growing just look beautiful.

Spartanburg123 June 18, 2017 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here I am today cutting all growth stems/suckers at the top of the plant. I can't stand cutting off branches with flowers, but hopefully she will fill out from below..

My Foot Smells June 19, 2017 08:34 AM

Wow, amazing looking plants and great scotts on the monster DLH. Makes me wonder how tall you are?

Great job.

Nan_PA_6b June 19, 2017 06:19 PM

WOW! :panic::yes::dizzy:

Nan