Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Which Seed Starting Potting Soil (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=13240)

Wvabob December 22, 2016 02:46 PM

Thanks h_g!

frankcar1965 December 25, 2016 02:48 AM

I'm assuming you are being facetious, right?

habitat_gardener December 25, 2016 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=frankcar1965;606648]I'm assuming you are being facetious, right?[/QUOTE]

What?!?

It's reasonable to ask if you have to buy another product, or if you can use what you have, and what the results are. Me, I avoid buying more stuff whenever possible.

dmforcier December 25, 2016 12:45 PM

There's a reason we don't use dirt in containers. It doesn't act like dirt in the ground, but like a sponge.

As for "starting soil", that's a question that presupposes an answer. Start in what you're going to grow in. Nothing special needed. I've tried special starter mixes and none performer any better than plain old Miracle-Gro Potting Mix.

frankcar1965 December 25, 2016 02:03 PM

I don't think I was responding to you. Calm down

dmforcier December 25, 2016 04:22 PM

So what were you responding to, in your shotgun style?

frankcar1965 December 26, 2016 01:44 AM

I really don't know I have gotten lost in the thread but I don't think it was you, must have been somebody else. It would not make sense to anything you have said I think, "shotgun style" or not, sorry your wittle feelings were hurt. Shoot me.

korney19 December 26, 2016 01:59 AM

[QUOTE=Wvabob;606042]Perhaps this is the wrong forum, but would like feedback on what soil is recommended when transplanting seedlings to pots?[/QUOTE]

I would use a soilless mix drenched with something like an odorless liquid fish fertilizer or Maxicrop (seaweed based), or mostly a soilless mix plus compost or something with moderate fertility. The key here is potting MIX and not potting SOIL.

adewilliams December 28, 2016 12:21 PM

@Wvabob I used Coast of Maine last year to transplant my seedlings, along with several other kinds of potting mix. There was absolutely no question that Coast of Maine was the winner. Plants that I had started later and transplanted into CoM grew faster and were stronger and healthier than plants I had started earlier and transplanted into other potting mixes. After that experience, I'm not sure I'll use anything else.

Greatgardens December 29, 2016 02:06 PM

Interestingly, for many years until I "knew better," I used the 40# bags of "top soil" in my uncovered Rubbermaid Garden pots. The gray square ones with a detachable watering tray that are about 16" square by 10" tall. Used 10-10-10 and no other amendments. For the most part, [U]they did great.[/U] But now, of course, I use potting mix. I grew mostly Early Girl or some other smaller type plants in those containers. Of course, I wouldn't recommend that now, but still...
-GG