Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Peppadew Patent (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11806)

Blueaussi December 6, 2009 10:47 AM

Battling how?

Inquiring minds and all.

huntsman December 6, 2009 12:45 PM

I'm not getting very good germination rates, Blue...

Could have been because I was starting far more seeds than I could manage, but the numbers still seem down on my other peppers which are coming along rather nicely, if I do say so m'self! ;-)

Blueaussi December 6, 2009 02:40 PM

Ok.

Could it be that they're just a little slower germinating?

RJ_Hythloday December 6, 2009 05:38 PM

[quote=huntsman;149447]I'm not getting very good germination rates, Blue...

Could have been because I was starting far more seeds than I could manage, but the numbers still seem down on my other peppers which are coming along rather nicely, if I do say so m'self! ;-)[/quote]

[quote=Blueaussi;149454]Ok.

Could it be that they're just a little slower germinating?[/quote]
Are you using a heat mat? Many peppers require more heat to germinate.

Wi-sunflower December 7, 2009 08:29 AM

Here is a page on my web site with the set up I use for germinating. [url]http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms.com/greenhouse06.html[/url]

For germinating peppers HEAT is everything.

The only thing I've changed about this the last few years is that I don't drape the plastic all the way to the floor any more. I leave it open a bit at least on 1 of the sides so there is a bit of air circulation. It helps keep down the damp off problem if there are too many plants in too small a spot that's too humid.

Something else I do for really hard to germinate peppers, like pequins or "bird peppers", is before I put them in the pot, I "scarify" the seeds a bit. I use 2 sheets of fine grade sandpaper and rub the seeds between them for a bit. Not too hard tho. Just enough to scratch them up a bit.

Something that I don't do but many pepper enthusiasts do is to soak the seed overnite in "salt peter".

Carol

Blueaussi December 7, 2009 09:44 AM

If I remember correctly, the ideal temperature to germinate peppers is 85F/30C. Anything much above 70F/21C is good, but below that and much above 95F/35C and germination percentages start to drop off pretty sharply.

I usually run mine between 75F/23C and 80F/26C.

Wi-sunflower December 7, 2009 01:13 PM

I do believe tho that those temps are the soil temps. The air temp of in the 90* range doesn't produce an overly hot soil. Especially when you keep the soil damp. I have on occasion put a little meat therometer in the soil but I don't remember what it gets any more.

The fact that I'm getting germination in 3-5 days for tomatoes and less than a week for the hot peppers say it all for me. And I'm not getting just a few of the seeds to germinate.

But I was just putting out what works for me. Everyone has to do what works for them.

Carol

Blueaussi December 7, 2009 01:35 PM

I thought soil temperatures were what we were talking about, I'm sorry. I have a soil thermometer to watch my temperatures.

roper2008 December 7, 2009 08:50 PM

Last year for Christmas, my sister gave me a seed heating mat.
My peppers germinated a lot faster

Blueaussi December 7, 2009 09:33 PM

I prefer seed heating mats, but they get a little pricey. I use whatever's to hand, though.

huntsman December 8, 2009 02:59 AM

Oh, I agree entirely with the heating 'thang'...

Maybe I'll give them another go, but I have at least 50 varieties that have grown well from seed, so I kinda 'forgot' about the PDews! :dizzy:

I actually move them from my [I]germination chamber[/I] (AKA heated polystyrene box!) where they are under plastic domes, to a drier area, still on heat mats once they clear the soil. This is the tricky part - not letting them dehydrate.

Interesting idea about scarifying the seeds!:yes:

[B]Later:[/B]

Very ingenious idea for a germination tent, Carol! Just one question: Did you not get condensation running down the plastic and onto the floor?