Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Let's Build an Argentine Grill. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45527)

Worth1 July 13, 2017 07:51 AM

[QUOTE=matereater;654240]If you put fire bricks in the lid you may want to consider installing some type of counter weights to offset the weight of lifting the lid[/QUOTE]

That is what the windlass mechanism will do.
I just need to figure out the best ratio between the two cylinders that would best work for speed and ease.
Worth

Worth1 July 13, 2017 08:22 AM

Just did some calculations.
The lid alone without the split fire brick will weigh around 155 pounds.
Add split fire brick and it will be getting close to 200 pounds.
Now that I have that figured out I can determine my ratio and or leverage.
Worth

dmforcier July 13, 2017 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;654241]That is what the windlass mechanism will do. [raise the lid][/QUOTE]

So what will move the rack?

Worth1 July 13, 2017 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;654292]So what will move the rack?[/QUOTE]
Another mechanism. :))
Worth

Fusion_power July 14, 2017 03:37 AM

Worth, a 10 to 1 ratio is probably the lowest that will work. 20 to 1 is probably better. Use the formula on the wiki page to determine the appropriate diameter.

Worth1 July 14, 2017 05:13 AM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;654453]Worth, a 10 to 1 ratio is probably the lowest that will work. 20 to 1 is probably better. Use the formula on the wiki page to determine the appropriate diameter.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking 20 to 1 yesterday.
That would be equal to lifting ten pounds.

Worth

dmforcier July 14, 2017 09:03 AM

Are you going to pivot it (hinge) or lift it whole? Pivoted the effective weight is 1/2. But with a moving rack, I don't see what you could mount a hinge to.

Worth1 July 14, 2017 09:37 AM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;654512]Are you going to pivot it (hinge) or lift it whole? Pivoted the effective weight is 1/2. But with a moving rack, I don't see what you could mount a hinge to.[/QUOTE]

Going straight up.
Worth

Worth1 July 15, 2017 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;654512]Are you going to pivot it (hinge) or lift it whole? Pivoted the effective weight is 1/2. But with a moving rack, I don't see what you could mount a hinge to.[/QUOTE]

As for the moving rack and the hinged lid that would be easy.
I have that one figured out too.
The more I think about it the more ideas come up that are better than the last.
I am even tossing around the idea of springs.
If set on a lever and pivot point correctly the same springs that are used to assist the opening can be used to hold it down.
Then there is the garage door opener idea I an thinking about.:))
I still have the lead screws and track from one I replaced.8-)
I have mentioned lead screw before.
Here is a lead screw.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadscrew[/url]

Worth

dmforcier July 15, 2017 12:10 PM

I've had a couple ideas for motors, especially for a screw-driven rack mechanism. But that means you'd need to be able to plug in, and may be susceptible to weather. Better to make it all mechanical.

Springs or torsion bar to counter-balance the lid? That would be cool.

Worth1 July 15, 2017 12:30 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;654770]I've had a couple ideas for motors, especially for a screw-driven rack mechanism. But that means you'd need to be able to plug in, and may be susceptible to weather. Better to make it all mechanical.

Springs or torsion bar to counter-balance the lid? That would be cool.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a treadmill, that way a person could run off all the fat they would be eating.
You want to taste and check what?????
I just ran a mile to get that darn lid up and down a minuet ago, you should have said something.:evil::))
Worth

matereater July 16, 2017 07:40 AM

:)):)):)):))

dmforcier July 16, 2017 11:18 AM

Dog-powered treadmill. One of the little guys. They will work for food and not eat too much.

Worth1 September 12, 2017 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sometimes you have to think outside the box or in this case the grill.
Some people see a 2×5 shelf I see a grill.:yes:
Free.
Worth
[ATTACH]76776[/ATTACH]

AlittleSalt September 12, 2017 04:30 PM

Looks like a grill to me too. One long enough for pig to fit on nicely.