Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Anyone grow Fava Beans? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20229)

Shrinkrap June 22, 2016 02:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
If San Francisco Bay area folks are still reading, I am in Solano County, and I have planted various favas in the fall for years. Maybe in November, with garlic, shallots, sugar snaps, ect, just before the fall rains. Takes longer to get to harvest; March or so, but almost no work.......until it's time to peel them.

I do have to support them.

Tracydr June 22, 2016 07:37 AM

Has anybody grown favas in NC or SC? I assume I'd plant them around November,would that be about right?

Aerial June 22, 2016 01:20 PM

Great tip, Shrinkrap. Thanks! :D

[QUOTE=Shrinkrap;571331]If San Francisco Bay area folks are still reading, I am in Solano County, and I have planted various favas in the fall for years. Maybe in November, with garlic, shallots, sugar snaps, ect, just before the fall rains. Takes longer to get to harvest; March or so, but almost no work.......until it's time to peel them.

I do have to support them.[/QUOTE]

Labradors2 June 23, 2016 07:18 PM

I don't peel them!

Linda

Bodhi Peace June 23, 2016 08:03 PM

Hmm

[QUOTE=Tracydr;571350]Has anybody grown favas in NC or SC? I assume I'd plant them around November,would that be about right?[/QUOTE]

:? I thought you got snow. Wouldn't you plant in spring?

Tracydr June 24, 2016 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=Bodhi Peace;571808]:? I thought you got snow. Wouldn't you plant in spring?[/QUOTE]
I'm very south and only 120 miles from the coast. Mild climate,maybe a dusting of snow once a winter,very rare temperatures <20.
I think I'm actually zone 8. I think it was changed not long ago.

Shrinkrap June 24, 2016 03:04 PM

I keep trying the "no peel", and I like it okay with the small ones, but if they are older, or you prefer them peeled, try freezing!

[url]http://www.thekitchn.com/the-easiest-way-to-peel-fava-beans-tips-from-the-kitchn-203867[/url]

gorbelly June 29, 2016 09:47 PM

The Internet tells me that I can't grow favas as a fall crop where I am (SE Pennsylvania). Is this true, even if I grow something very cold tolerant and an earlier fava like Aquadulce? Has anyone in the Mid-Atlantic tried favas as a fall crop?

Bodhi Peace June 30, 2016 12:47 AM

what's the zone? how cold?

gorbelly June 30, 2016 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=Bodhi Peace;573694]what's the zone? how cold?[/QUOTE]

7a. But isn't zone more about winter lows and not really about the nature of the growing season(s)?

These are average monthly temps near me: [url]http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Pennsylvania/Philadelphia/[/url]

Of course, that's average, so the usual caveats about occasional fluctuations toward extremes applies.

Bodhi Peace June 30, 2016 01:33 PM

I don't see how you could grow it if you are getting dips below 0 C.

joseph October 28, 2016 11:27 AM

The most winter-hardy favas survive down to about 15 F to 20 F.

I had a good crop of fava beans this year. I grew them by planting seeds just before snowcover arrived, by putting out 3 week old transplants a couple days after the snow melted, and by direct seeding in the spring. They all did fine. The transplants did best. I also planted seeds in early August which produced a few pods in the fall. The plants still look great even after a lot of cold weather. I'm leaving them for the winter, just to see if anything survives.

[IMG]http://garden.lofthouse.com/images/beans/favas-2016_640.jpg[/IMG]

gorbelly October 28, 2016 12:06 PM

Yes, I've realized that favas can't really work as a fall crop in my garden because there isn't enough time before the combo of reduced sun and cooler temps makes growth slow too much. Next year, I may try a fall sowing not for a fall crop but to see whether the plants survive the winter and give me a head start in spring. I have a small garden, so I'd prefer to grow them as an early spring crop like peas, to be replaced by heat-loving veggies like tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, etc. in late May/early June, but the DTM might be too long for favas to do that. I suppose I should try a few varieties to see whether I can manage it with any of them. I guess worst case scenario is that I don't get any beans but tons of green manure.

Any recommendations on varieties that are early? I assume Extra Precoce a Grano Violetto is supposed to be especially early. I've heard Aquadulce is early, but some sources have it later than Broad Windsor. I'm after the full-size but still young and green beans and would only grow out enough to the dry-bean stage for seed saving.

GrowingCoastal October 28, 2016 12:49 PM

I used to grow a variety called Victoria that produces a smaller bean. It is meant to be fall planted and comes up in Spring. It grew successfully here this way for many years.

ilex November 7, 2016 02:02 AM

You can plant some varieties in summer and get a crop in December

Tormato November 7, 2016 01:21 PM

Third time I've attempted favas, with about 15 total plants in those 3 trials. Finally got a harvest this year...

...of one seed.:?:

gorbelly November 8, 2016 03:29 AM

[QUOTE=ilex;598906]You can plant some varieties in summer and get a crop in December[/QUOTE]

Some of us don't have the space just lying fallow in the middle of summer.

Spike2 November 8, 2016 08:41 AM

I planted fava beans this past spring. NOT a single one sprouted. I was so disappointed and heart broken. I went out and tilled the row up and planted sunflowers. BAM every last fava bean sprouted along with the sun flowers!!

bower December 21, 2016 06:33 PM

Thinking to cycle the past year's garlic bed into favas and carrots this year. Any thoughts about companion planting, also any info about the heights and or productivity of different varieties would be appreciated. Thinking couple rows of favas on the west side of the N-S bed and carrots in the front. The carrots I have seed for are 70 dtm.

Really enjoyed reading all the info in this thread, I think I will try transplants as did best for Joseph, but I will have to use row cover putting them out early - not for the frost, but for critters that are very hungry that time of year! :shock: Don't want them to get an early taste for my crops....

ilex December 21, 2016 06:41 PM

Don't do it, allium and legumes don't grow well together or one after the other. That's the only combination that I really avoid based on experience. You can really see were previous crop was.

I like carrots after well fed garlic.

bower December 21, 2016 07:07 PM

Thanks Ilex for the timely advice!
I'll put the favas somewhere else and do carrots in that bed.
Anything else you recommend in cycle with garlic? Not that I could have too many carrots. :lol:

joseph December 21, 2016 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=bower;605884]I think I will try transplants as did best for Joseph, but I will have to use row cover putting them out early - not for the frost, but for critters that are very hungry that time of year! :shock: Don't want them to get an early taste for my crops....[/QUOTE]

Ah!!! Maybe that's why some of my plants ended up out of the ground... I'm definitely intending to plant them deeper next spring.

ilex December 22, 2016 02:07 AM

[QUOTE=bower;605894]Thanks Ilex for the timely advice!
I'll put the favas somewhere else and do carrots in that bed.
Anything else you recommend in cycle with garlic? Not that I could have too many carrots. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I plant in any place with available space, trying not to repeat same family. Not a very complex plan.

habitat_gardener December 22, 2016 07:25 PM

Most of the favas I picked in April/May had black spots on them, so although I'd put them in the freezer to kill off any bugs, I wondered if they were viable. I soaked 200 beans overnight, then potted up the ones that sprouted. I ended up with 85% germination, over 5 days. The ones that took longer to sprout easily caught up to the rest.

After 3 weeks in pots, I finally got around to planting them out. During that time, I found out the garden where I'd planned to put most of them was going to close down, so I planted them wherever I could find a space in the remaining 2 gardens. When I ran out of space, I planted the rest in mulch, at the side of the path! There was predation everywhere -- I'm guessing it was squirrels and rats who dug up the beans and left the chopped-off tops -- but it wasn't too bad, probably not more than 10 in each garden. After about a week, I didn't see any more predation.

Today they are about a foot high, even the ones in mulch, though many of them have fallen over. I will prop them up if they start falling into the paths, but otherwise, I'll let them be.

greenthumbomaha March 1, 2017 12:16 PM

Would it be too late to start a spring planting indoors now? I am running out to the garden center to buy Lake Valley brand Windsor Fava. Should I just go inground at this time?

- Lisa

Shrinkrap March 1, 2017 12:19 PM

The beans are pretty big, and I would go inground, but it's practically spring here. I believe they can sprout in very cool soil, and may even prefer it.

greenthumbomaha March 1, 2017 03:23 PM

I'm back from the store and the seeds are indeed very large. There were 15 seeds in the package. They're soaking now and I'll sow five outside and the rest in a peat pot. The package said to plant when you plant peas. We have been know to have snow in March so I"m probably being overly cautious.

- Lisa

Shrinkrap March 1, 2017 04:55 PM

I have grown every year for quite awhile, I usually sow around thanksgiving, I always end up leaving some beans on the bed which dry out over the summer, then sprout, even sitting on top of, or in the general area of the soil, when it starts to rain around November. It's as if the roots reach for the soil.

zeroma March 1, 2017 06:29 PM

So if fava beans are what the English call broad beans, what is or is there an American equivalent?

From reading about only 20 of the posts here is this accurate to say about fava beans?

Are they grown and eaten the way any green bean - fresh in the pod when young, cooked in the pod when a bit older, and then as a dried bean when older?

Zeroma

Shrinkrap March 1, 2017 11:06 PM

I would say "we" mostly pick the beans fresh and green, remove the seedsxfom what would be the green bean, peel those, and THEN eat them. A lot of work, and many eat at other stages..

[URL="http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2013/06/28/25-ways-to-use-fava-beans/"]http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2013/06/28/25-ways-to-use-fava-beans/[/URL]