Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Random Pictures. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35477)

Worth1 July 26, 2015 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=Nematode;493215]Chanterelles from my woods.

Thinly slice onion or leek, fry till crisp in a little olive oil and butter.
Add chopped chanterelles to pan and cook.
Serve with eggs and toast.
Sorry no after pics.

Always know exactly what each mushroom you eat is. Some can make you sick, others can kill.

These were delicious.[/QUOTE]

They look fantastic I wouldn't know the first thing about collecting mushrooms.
Worth

Worth1 July 26, 2015 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today's supper.
Fresh ground rib meat today's homemade hamburger bun yesterday's sweet pickles.
Last springs homemade jalapeno pickles today's homemade coleslaw.
Yes I love coleslaw I could eat it every day.:lol:
Worth
[ATTACH]51805[/ATTACH]

Nematode July 26, 2015 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;493314]They look fantastic I wouldn't know the first thing about collecting mushrooms.
Worth[/QUOTE]

I'm 5 years into the hobby, and can collect 8-10 species with confidence. Gilled mushrooms terrify me, I will probably never collect them, too much potential for poisoning. Lucky to have a friend who has been collecting for 40 years, very knowledgeable and happy to share.
Last year collected about 30lbs of mushrooms ate many fresh, gave some to friends and dried the rest. One great thing is every walk in the woods is now a treasure hunt.

Worth1 July 26, 2015 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=Nematode;493334]I'm 5 years into the hobby, and can collect 8-10 species with confidence. Gilled mushrooms terrify me, I will probably never collect them, too much potential for poisoning. Lucky to have a friend who has been collecting for 40 years, very knowledgeable and happy to share.
Last year collected about 30lbs of mushrooms ate many fresh, gave some to friends and dried the rest. One great thing is every walk in the woods is now a treasure hunt.[/QUOTE]

The only ones I have ever picked was with my parents on our property.
They were the standard white mushroom.

The old wives tale was if you put a silver dime in the mushrooms and it turns black there is a poison one in there.
I dont buy it.:lol:

Worth

AlittleSalt July 26, 2015 09:39 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;493319]Today's supper.
Fresh ground rib meat today's homemade hamburger bun yesterday's sweet pickles.
Last springs homemade jalapeno pickles today's homemade coleslaw.
Yes I love coleslaw I could eat it every day.:lol:
Worth
[ATTACH]51805[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

I'll have this horrible confession about coleslaw. I like HEB Coleslaw. I add more mayo and honey and sometimes Granny Smith apple shreds. Even shredded cheese if it's going on a burger.

8-)

Worth1 July 26, 2015 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;493354]I'll have this horrible confession about coleslaw. I like HEB Coleslaw. I add more mayo and honey and sometimes Granny Smith apple shreds. Even shredded cheese if it's going on a burger.

8-)[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I buy the HEB potato salad and doctor it up.:lol:

Worth

efisakov July 27, 2015 08:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Worth, how do you make your Coleslaw? I am almost afraid to ask, there has to be too many ingredients, probably.:surprised: Just kidding.
The bun looks great inside and out. Recipe?

Nematode, I have memory of my father taking me mushroom hunting at an early age. He used to find a good spot where I would be very busy for a while collecting them and he would roam around close by looking for more. He grew up in the village and knew this woods pretty well. He and my mom moved to the city, my grandma continued to leave in the same house in the village at a time. The woods were not dense at all.

Hellmanns July 27, 2015 08:32 AM

[QUOTE=Nematode;493215]Chanterelles from my woods.

Thinly slice onion or leek, fry till crisp in a little olive oil and butter.
Add chopped chanterelles to pan and cook.
Serve with eggs and toast.
Sorry no after pics.

Always know exactly what each mushroom you eat is. Some can make you sick, others can kill.

These were delicious.[/QUOTE]
I have found HUGE clusters of Chanterelles that look a lot like Omphalotis.

Worth1 July 27, 2015 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=efisakov;493427]Worth, how do you make your Coleslaw? I am almost afraid to ask, there has to be too many ingredients, probably.:surprised: Just kidding.
The bun looks great inside and out. Recipe?

Nematode, I have memory of my father taking me mushroom hunting at an early age. He used to find a good spot where I would be very busy for a while collecting them and he would roam around close by looking for more. He grew up in the village and knew this woods pretty well. He and my mom moved to the city, my grandma continued to leave in the same house in the village at a time. The woods were not dense at all.[/QUOTE]

Ella the coleslaw is simple.
Mayonnaise a shot of red wine vinegar or lemon or lime juice, some olive oil and sugar.
Carrots and or sweet potato can be used along with cabbage.
Just dont over do it on the liquids.
I have found I dont care for the wild fancy pants coleslaw with everything but the kitchen sink in it.
The lady friend I had over the other night thought it was fantastic.
The first words that came out when she ate it was wow this stuff is good.:lol:
I have known her for may years and we have always cooked for each other.
Her mashed potatoes are to die for.
No water no milk just butter.:yes:

The bun is just a simple thing to do.
Flour water salt and yeast.

The pictures look like parts of Texas west of here about 70 miles.

Worth

TexasTycoon July 27, 2015 10:29 PM

Making peach pies to bring up to work tomorrow with the last of the peaches from my mom's tree! Using this recipe but I added cinnamon and vanilla to the cream mixture: [url]http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-peach-pie[/url]

[IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/27/2a7a7d54a23a686244e20bb61e60e113.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/27/e7bdc6c0502292a6e8183906a500a57a.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

TexasTycoon July 27, 2015 10:31 PM

And yes I was lazy and used frozen pie shells because it's a work night! :D

Worth1 July 27, 2015 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=TexasTycoon;493719]And yes I was lazy and used frozen pie shells because it's a work night! :D

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I dont blame you they look great. :yes:

Worth

TexasTycoon July 28, 2015 12:15 AM

They got a little messy, but they smell really good!
[IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/27/dcbfd49068c68dd4c81c06e55e8bf812.jpg[/IMG]
Took longer than I thought, too. Goodnight y'all!

TexasTycoon July 28, 2015 11:47 AM

Sorry those pictures were so huge, I need to quit posting from my phone. Had a little slice of pie for breakfast this morning and it was fantastic! That's a good recipe, not too much sugar. I never understood why some fruit pies call for so much sugar. Don't they know fruit is sweet?

Worth1 July 28, 2015 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=TexasTycoon;493851]Sorry those pictures were so huge, I need to quit posting from my phone. Had a little slice of pie for breakfast this morning and it was fantastic! That's a good recipe, not too much sugar. [COLOR=Red]I never understood why some fruit pies call for so much sugar. Don't they know fruit is sweet?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Because of me. :lol:
They look great.

Now you have me wanting to make a pie.:lol:

Worth