Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Urfa pepper seeds (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33945)

swellcat November 30, 2016 12:12 PM

[QUOTE][I]Made SmokedHatchChili Urfa Beef Soup last Sunday with Urfa/Kirmizi spiced pepitas. Fresh baked bread.[/I][/QUOTE]Well, we need to have dinner at your house. I could bring the beers/wines . . . and a thick-skinned tomato.

The savouriest pods I've been able to grow are [I]guajillo[/I]. They are just OK fresh, but dry readily, on the plant, to show notes of plum, pipe tobacco, and dark cherry. Seeds came from commercial pods, grown and dried non-destructively in Peru.

Spike2 April 18, 2017 11:50 PM

For those of you that have grown this pepper, did it take a long time for the seeds to germinate? I started mine on 4/5 and nothing.

Cole_Robbie April 19, 2017 12:07 AM

If it happened to be me who sent them to you, a lot of my pepper seeds have been bad about germinating. I need to get better at selecting the ones to save.

Spike2 April 19, 2017 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;632841]If it happened to be me who sent them to you, [/QUOTE]

OMG YOU MONSTER!! You kindly shared seeds! LOL just teasing you! I am not sure who sent me the seeds but I was really hoping to try them. I started about 15 seeds and not a one has popped up. But if it was you that sent me the seeds, thank you so much anyway.

Cole_Robbie April 19, 2017 04:22 PM

That reminds me, I need to try to start some myself to renew my seed supply with better stuff.

Fritz77 April 21, 2017 10:07 AM

My Urfa seeds never germinated. I got them from Cole Robbie but it's not a problem. Many other seeds I got from him germinated and developed into nice looking seedlings. So, thank you for sharing!

Spike2 April 21, 2017 12:03 PM

It does make me feel better to know that I wasn't the only one that had trouble. I was afraid I did something wrong. But I am very thankful that seeds were shared with me so I wasn't complaining in any way!!

Cole_Robbie April 21, 2017 12:35 PM

I started a thread about it, but I am grateful to learn that saving pepper seeds is not nearly as simple as I first thought. I'm going to at least try the sink/float method of selection next time.

Shrinkrap September 7, 2019 12:05 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I should have started here! Some Urfafa biber, some Maras, some Tunisian Bakouti (sp), some a paprika from Hungary.

I've been searching for info on drying and cutting.I dried them in the sun here in Nor Cal. I understand the wrapping at night is in plastic, to retain some of the oils. Then I understand they are "silk cut", but I can't find any info on what these means. Heading to Turkey in two weeks, so maybe I can find out there.