Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Sugar Snap Peas... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4335)

bbjm May 5, 2007 12:33 AM

Wow! Nice harvest, but I'm more impressed with the look of your leaves. What are you doing for bug control. My beans are just coming up (first group got done in by the cold spell) and they already have bug damage. I have the worst luck with bugs and beans.

feldon30 May 5, 2007 12:51 AM

The biggest problem I had with beans last year was leaf roller caterpillars. They got out of control before I realized what the problem was. The solution was heavy spraying of B.T. I use the liquid concentrate which is easier for me to apply and seems to have more even distribution over the leaves. B.T. is totally organic control of several types of caterpillars and worms such as fruitworms.

As for the little bugs like flea beetles, insecticidal soap, neem oil or pyrethrin oil are solutions. Oils must not be applied in the heat of the day as they will burn the plants.

shelleybean May 7, 2007 07:19 PM

Pretty beans, Feldon.

I came home from a camping trip to find my sugar snap peas flowering. Yeah!

spyfferoni May 10, 2007 12:00 PM

My sugar snap peas are flowering. It snowed before they poked up from the ground and I was worried, but they are going good now. The regular peas don't have any blossoms yet.

Tormato May 10, 2007 01:54 PM

Feldon,

Dragon Langerie?

Gary

Grub May 11, 2007 07:13 AM

I hear ya Craig re pea shoots, but nothing is as good as what you said originally, that is, sugar snaps. Snows are good, SSs are the bomb, IMHO. Very few ever make it to the kitchen :)

shelleybean May 11, 2007 08:21 AM

Adenn1,

How are your Amish Snaps doing? Mine are about four feet tall and flowering. There are the first tall peas I've grown and I think I'll go back to the bush type again next year because they're faster producers. A lot of my summer stuff like beans, cukes and squash are on hold until my spring things finish up. I love sugar snap peas but I'd like them a little sooner so I can plant my butterbeans in their place. Those will take a while to produce, too, so I need to get started with them.

Adenn1 May 11, 2007 10:44 AM

Michele

Amish snaps are now just coming along...about two feet tall...no flowers yet. I am hoping our recent trend of warmer weather helps. I can't wait to try them.

I just got all of my tomatoes and cukes in the ground yesterday. I realized yesterday that I failed to seed my County Fair cukes. I will have to direct seed these.

shelleybean May 14, 2007 05:16 PM

My peas around about five feet tall now so I expect them to stop growing any time now. I counted about ten pods today and plenty more blooms. I should be able to start picking in a couple of days. I'm really looking forward to them.

I'm not sure whether to blame the later harvest on the fact that this is a vining type variety or our wacky weather this year. Maybe it's just a combo of both. Anyway, I'll soon have peas! :D

Ruth_10 May 17, 2007 10:08 PM

Well, the Big Freeze really did a job on my peas. I will be lucky to get a few handsful out of three twenty-foot rows. There are some pods and flowers, but the plants are very stunted, in general. Gosh darnoodley.:x I love sugar snap peas. I usually have enough to freeze for winter use in soups and stir fry dishes.

Adenn1 May 18, 2007 07:32 AM

Ruth--sorry to hear about your plants...I wish you the best.

I went out yesterday and had a couple of flowers...never had a snap pea in my life...so very excited to try them. I got take a couple of pictures for this thread.

shelleybean May 18, 2007 11:11 AM

I'm picking the first of my Amish Snap as soon as my son gets home from school today. He wants to help. :D

Miss_Mudcat May 20, 2007 10:10 PM

I picked and ate the very first young pea pod of the season today - yum! Many more to come as the vines are loaded with tiny pods and lots of blossums!

shelleybean May 21, 2007 07:50 AM

I ate the first of mine too. They were great. Worth the wait (everything is late here this spring).

feldon30 May 24, 2007 01:57 PM

My plants were looking hideous so I pulled them, but not before picking some huge pods with mature peas inside. I've got enough seeds that I probably won't have to buy seeds this December.