Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   2016 MMMM questions (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43351)

gardeninglee January 19, 2017 03:17 AM

I have a seed packet that says Early Girl. Is this a f1 or saved seeds from the F1?

Thank you!

tash11 January 22, 2017 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=gardeninglee;611946]I have a seed packet that says Early Girl. Is this a f1 or saved seeds from the F1?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

I got one like that too.

I also would like info on:
Pozhar
Queen Elizabeth
Dwarf Cherokee Tiger Dark Red

habitat_gardener January 23, 2017 12:17 AM

I didn't send Pozhar, but iirc it was a small early red from one of Carolyn's seed offers some years ago.

added: found this in her 2008 seed offer: " [COLOR=#004080][FONT=Franklin Gothic Demi]Pozhar, small red 3 oz globes, PL[/FONT][/COLOR]"

KarenO January 23, 2017 05:53 AM

I grew dwarf Cherokee tiger dark red in 2015.
Light lime green/Chartreuse foliage compact dwarf with medium Scarlett striped with gold beefsteaks. Flavour was Really good.
KarenO

charline January 23, 2017 06:22 AM

[QUOTE=KarenO;613001]I grew dwarf Cherokee tiger dark red in 2015.
Light lime green/Chartreuse foliage compact dwarf with medium Scarlett striped with gold beefsteaks. Flavour was Really good.
KarenO[/QUOTE]

...but really on the acid side....

javafxnoob January 24, 2017 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=habitat_gardener;612988]I didn't send Pozhar, but iirc it was a small early red from one of Carolyn's seed offers some years ago.

added: found this in her 2008 seed offer: " [COLOR=#004080][FONT=Franklin Gothic Demi]Pozhar, small red 3 oz globes, PL[/FONT][/COLOR]"[/QUOTE]

I found it here: [url]http://www.msso.by/product/pomidorypojar[/url], but not much info unfortunately.

Early variety of Belarus selection

Determinate, 50 cm height.

HappyGardener23 January 27, 2017 06:14 PM

So I'm curious to know which varieties people sent in for the KYSO and Desert Island categories. People are always asking about favorite tomato varieties, and I would give serious bonus points to any tomato declared a favorite by the veterans here. So, which ones earned the distinction for you (maybe I was lucky enough to receive them)?

I sent in Girl Girl’s Weird Thing as my KYSO variety because everyone seems to love the taste, it's beautiful, and it was very prolific for me with little, if any disease/pest problems.

For Desert Island I sent in Shirley S. It was a first for me this year and I was blown away by it. Gorgeous, huge pink beefsteaks, very prolific and an outstanding flavor and texture. No problems with disease or pests in my raised square foot garden. Always the first one I grabbed when I wanted the tomato flavor to shine like in a Caprese salad.

NarnianGarden January 31, 2017 04:53 PM

Just checking: I got some Cherry Falls seed (yay!) as I wished, and the info about it being F1 or OP is conflicting. Can someone who actually knows about this topic (Carolyn...) shed some light on it?
Most likely I won't save any seeds, just interested for the information itself (for observational and educational value)

agee12 February 1, 2017 03:37 PM

I have a seed package labeled "lettuce shokolate." I've been googling including playing with the spelling, I tried "lettuce chocolate," "lettuce spokolate" and others but nothing comes up, does anyone know anything about this variety? Thanks.

MuddyToes February 2, 2017 12:09 AM

Cowpeas question

I got 21 pea and Red Rippers. I think they will love the heat and humidity here. My question is, do you eat the pod like Chinese long beans, or should I shell them?

Tormato February 2, 2017 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=NarnianGarden;615060]Just checking: I got some Cherry Falls seed (yay!) as I wished, and the info about it being F1 or OP is conflicting. Can someone who actually knows about this topic (Carolyn...) shed some light on it?
Most likely I won't save any seeds, just interested for the information itself (for observational and educational value)[/QUOTE]

The Cherry Falls was from me, commercial seed rack source, the package said hybrid. After reading that people are listing CF as an OP, I question whether it is, or isn't, OP.
Trialing it, saving seed and trialing the saved seed will give a clue.:?:

Tormato February 2, 2017 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=agee12;615265]I have a seed package labeled "lettuce shokolate." I've been googling including playing with the spelling, I tried "lettuce chocolate," "lettuce spokolate" and others but nothing comes up, does anyone know anything about this variety? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

A gift to me, from someone who visits the Ukraine.

NarnianGarden February 2, 2017 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=Tormato;615485]The Cherry Falls was from me, commercial seed rack source, the package said hybrid. After reading that people are listing CF as an OP, I question whether it is, or isn't, OP.
Trialing it, saving seed and trialing the saved seed will give a clue.:?:[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Tormato...
Yes, I will certainly go through the trialing process just so you can have peace of mind.. :twisted: :no:

javafxnoob February 3, 2017 07:54 AM

I get Orange Russian 117 seed in envelope. It really look nice, can't wait to try it. Something confusing me however, on Tatyana's page there is info this is cross between Russian 117 and Georgia Streak.

[url]http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Orange_Russian_117[/url]

On another page they say its a cross and also open pollinated.

[url]http://www.reimerseeds.com/orange-russian-117-tomato.aspx[/url]

I thought every OP variety gives "true to type" seed, and from cross or hybrid you can't take seed - or you can but you will not get plant same as that you taken seed from.

Can I save seed from OR 117 and plant next year that variety?

Ricky Shaw February 3, 2017 08:58 AM

[B]Can I save seed from OR 117 and plant next year that variety?

[/B]Yes, because the cross was made stable years ago.